Carrara Manual
Posted: 18 July 2013 07:42 PM   [ Ignore ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4811
Joined  2006-08-27
Steve K - 18 July 2013 06:59 PM
evilproducer - 18 July 2013 06:41 PM

I’m not sure of the math claiming the manual is two and a half versions behind? The official build is C8.1 (a point release), and my manual says it’s for Carrara 7. That’s only one version behind. Maybe 1.3 versions behind if you count the point releases such as C7.2 and C8.1. Holy crap! What slackers!

You’re sarcasm is my point, especially from one who accuses others of “one-upping” people.  I have C8 Pro 64 bit, the supplied manual is C6.  If there is a C7 manual available, I was never notified, and I cannot find it on the DAZ website.  Even so, where is the C8 manual, after three years? 

And again, will the Carrara 8.5 Production release include an updated manual?

See screen shot:

Image Attachments
Picture_1.png
 Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 18 July 2013 07:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  720
Joined  2003-10-09
ManStan - 18 July 2013 07:28 PM

Last thing we “need” is a manual, I can give you a list of features I would rather see before a manual. And carrara does have a lot of users always willing to help when you have questions. And the best thing is, unlike a manual with a mono view point, on a forum you can get several suggestions for help.

And not the topic at hand. At least spooky stayed on topic.

Okay, I see I am in the wrong place.  My bad, goodbye.

Posted: 18 July 2013 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

But just out of curiosity, will the Carrara 8.5 Production release include an updated manual?

Posted: 18 July 2013 08:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

[quote author=“evilproducer” date=“1374198130”

See screen shot:

A Carrara 7 Manual, great!  I did not not know it existed.  Can You give me a link to the PDF?

Thanks

Posted: 19 July 2013 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
ManStan - 18 July 2013 08:24 PM

beam me up.

Yes, I found the V.7 manual from 2008, imagine my embarrassment.  I wonder how I missed it.  Maybe because when I bought the C8 Pro upgrade in 2010, DAZ provided no manual update and said the C8 version would be provided “shortly”.  The Documentation page still says that today, three years later.

And BTW, I still agree with your comment below:

ManStan - 18 July 2013 02:20 PM
evilproducer - 18 July 2013 01:07 PM

So here’s my unsolicited advice: Maybe you should drop the ‘tude, and listen to what the man has to say. You may actually learn something to your benefit.

As soon as he quits trying to blow smoke up my     , sure. But considering what I read here knowing the carrara manual had a complete rewrite for C6, “clearly with a clue” goes out the window. 

Sorry evilproducer, but when the man comes on to defend DAZ’s lacking in promoting carrara, I don’t want to hear what he has to say. To me he just doesn’t read like a carrara supporter, never has. Dartanbeck is an excellent example of a “to the bone” carrara enthusiast. Personally I love carrara, it has some issues, but I love to work with it. It’s DAZ I have issues with. Or at least DAZ’s handling of carrara.

What carrara needs is a cheerleader, not a department head. What ever happened to the carrara cheerleaders that used to work at DAZ?

Posted: 19 July 2013 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7104
Joined  2009-07-13

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/15970/

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
my gallery

Posted: 19 July 2013 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Thanks, Wendy.

Posted: 20 July 2013 07:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Just checking to see if I have been locked out of this topic due to my comments, since I’m not seeing any new posts.

Posted: 20 July 2013 07:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

I guess not.

Posted: 20 July 2013 08:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1930
Joined  2008-01-28
Steve K - 20 July 2013 08:08 PM
evilproducer - 18 July 2013 01:07 PM

You accuse him of an arrogant response, yet quite honestly if it was me in the exchange with you two, I’d more than likely get this thread locked with my response. You should thank him for his politeness and learn a little about social graces from him.

Spooky’s comments were out of line, as I explained above. My politeness seems to be holding up nicely.  I also wondered if I was to get locked out due to my comments.  I didn’t.

Steve, gooday smile
In answer to your questions, ‘no’ Carrara will not have an up to date manual.
How do I know?
Well, pretend you are Daz and you had limited staff and were making a mozza from selling Content, why would you spend time updating Carrara’s manual.?
Be honest now.
Because your small base of Carrara customers have been loyal?
No. They are still going to buy Carrara 8.5 anyway because they love Carrara.
So they will still be loyal.
Some might fall by the wayside, but hey, they might tale up Da Studio and still buy content.
So it’s a win win for Daz either way.
And if Daz loses customers - well the small amount they have lost won’t be worth the trouble and lost revenue from updating the Carrara manual.
And as Daz Spooky points out, Daz’ hasn’t update the manual for ages.
Why would they bother now??
They’re a company out to make money, that’s their prime strategy.
Making a Carrara manual will lose them money.

smile

As far as insulting DazSpooky…. well he comes and gives us hints on what’s going on.
Insulting Daz spooky (antagonising or whatever) is like being in a dark room and throwing away your flashlight cause you don’t like what it’s showing you.

Historically DazSpooky has been a good “bloke”.

sorry about the long post.

I want a ^&^%^% manual as much as anyone, but it aint going to happen.
I’m happy to be proven wrong by the way.

Signature 

http://andrewfinnie.blogspot.com.au/

Posted: 20 July 2013 08:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
head wax - 20 July 2013 08:36 PM

I agree 100%. But is their continuing marketing of the product as a full featured, consumer ready product ethical? Legal?  I always thought a software product came with documentation.  Is that no longer the case?

Posted: 20 July 2013 09:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16430
Joined  2009-01-22
Steve K - 20 July 2013 08:53 PM

I agree 100%. But is their continuing marketing of the product as a full featured, consumer ready product ethical? Legal?  I always thought a software product came with documentation.  Is that no longer the case?

Umm.. if that is the case I really would like to know where my PhotoShop CS6 manual is. Hmm.. All I have is online…

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 20 July 2013 09:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

As far as insulting DazSpooky…. well he comes and gives us hints on what’s going on.
Insulting Daz spooky (antagonising or whatever) is like being in a dark room and throwing away your flashlight cause you don’t like what it’s showing you.

Historically DazSpooky has been a good “bloke”.

I did not insult Spooky.  I objected to his obnoxious comments to me.  I don’t know who he is, or about his history, and only heard from him in his recent nonsense comments to my posts.  He offered nothing to me regarding the future of Carrara’s manual (now three years past the promised version to paying customers), and displayed ignorance about its history.  And displayed a complete disdain for long term Carrara users.  IMHO.

Posted: 20 July 2013 09:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
Jaderail - 20 July 2013 09:03 PM

Umm.. if that is the case I really would like to know where my PhotoShop CS6 manual is. Hmm.. All I have is online…

Great!  So there will be a comprehensive online manual for Carrara 8.5!  Right?  And even better, it will be a PDF file I can download and refer to offline!  Like the most recent manual for Carrara (C7) from 2008 (thanks ManStan for leading me to that).

Posted: 20 July 2013 10:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16430
Joined  2009-01-22
Steve K - 20 July 2013 09:27 PM

Great!  So there will be a comprehensive online manual for Carrara 8.5!  Right?  And even better, it will be a PDF file I can download and refer to offline!  Like the most recent manual for Carrara (C7) from 2008 (thanks ManStan for leading me to that).

The point was NOT all software comes with a printed manual. I have NO idea what will be done but I made my statement and stand by it.

Steve K - 20 July 2013 08:53 PM

I always thought a software product came with documentation.  Is that no longer the case?

Clearly PS CS6 only came with a Help link, and not every feature is explained fully to my needs. All I was saying, nothing more.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 20 July 2013 10:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
Jaderail - 20 July 2013 10:07 PM

Clearly PS CS6 only came with a Help link, and not every feature is explained fully to my needs. All I was saying, nothing more.

Okay, thanks.  I hope that is not a trend.  I really think complex applications need complete documentation.  We cannot read the programmers minds.  And should not be expected to search the Web for explanations.

1 of 8