Digital Art Zone

Is something wrong with my render settings? 
Posted: 18 July 2013 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  46
Joined  2009-06-27

Hi,

I’m rendering a scene with some lighting and the lighting fades out over distance like a light normally would. E.g the further away the light is, the fainter the light is.

However when it gets fainter it gets faint in these blocks and not in a smooth gradient. If you look at the picture hopefully it will make sense.

Many thanks for your help guys! You’re constantly awesome!

Nathan

Image Attachments
TopView_0001.jpg

Posted: 18 July 2013 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-06-27

P.S. Lighting is not finished yet

Posted: 18 July 2013 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15289
Joined  2003-10-09

The banding looks like a shadow-bias issue - it may be too low, so that surfaces (sometimes) shadow themselves. Try raising the shadow bias a bit (it’s an offset, in cm, so don’t go overboard or items will seem to float). If you are using depth-mapped shadows switching to ray-traced will probably help - the resolution of DSMs is fixed and is too low for large environments.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 18 July 2013 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2138
Joined  2003-10-09

it helps if you tell us what program you are using. Just for future reference when asking a question, include if you are using Studio, Poser, Carrara, Bryce etc, that way the community can better answer your question. Some times a fix for Studio won’t be the same for Poser etc

anyway, Richard is probably right, so give that a try

Posted: 18 July 2013 04:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8241
Joined  2009-05-14

If this is Daz Studio I am guessing it could be the shading rate, what is it set to. 1.00? If that is the case drop it down to 0.20.

Yes it could also be Sahdow Bias. I find a value of 0.10 works for the most part.

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Facebook

Posted: 18 July 2013 05:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-06-27
Richard Haseltine - 18 July 2013 12:10 PM

The banding looks like a shadow-bias issue - it may be too low, so that surfaces (sometimes) shadow themselves. Try raising the shadow bias a bit (it’s an offset, in cm, so don’t go overboard or items will seem to float). If you are using depth-mapped shadows switching to ray-traced will probably help - the resolution of DSMs is fixed and is too low for large environments.

Cheers Richard! Yeah I’ve done it and it’s worked pretty well, just gotta make sure once I put the other lights in that it doesn’t mess it up! Thanks!

Posted: 18 July 2013 06:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-06-27
Szark - 18 July 2013 04:56 PM

If this is Daz Studio I am guessing it could be the shading rate, what is it set to. 1.00? If that is the case drop it down to 0.20.

Yes it could also be Sahdow Bias. I find a value of 0.10 works for the most part.

It’s poser and the shading rate is already at 0

Posted: 19 July 2013 06:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15289
Joined  2003-10-09
Wilkes Animations - 18 July 2013 06:07 PM
Szark - 18 July 2013 04:56 PM

It’s poser and the shading rate is already at 0

In Poser you can edit the resolution of shadow maps, they are a parameter on the light. That won’t affect the banding but it can help the smoothness of shadow edges.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list