Digital Art Zone

2 of 3
A lost Car ( in details )
Posted: 26 June 2012 07:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2008-12-29

I need to watch my post more, I missed a converstion but the big words were hard to follow anyway…. so moving on ohh  . . . I remade my car model but working with all quads are hard, I still have a few triangles laying around, is that ok?
My next question to anyone who can possible provide a answer, Is how to add fine details and indents such as the ones in the picture below. Should I just extrude and intrude the faces after I cut the shape out? or should I keep modelig the edges and keep the lines flowing all across the symmetry of the model?

Image Attachments
Decal.jpg
 Signature 

LOL be warned, I might be friendly

Posted: 27 June 2012 12:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1488
Joined  2008-01-01

Wow, that’s some task you’ve taken on.

OK, tri’s, as such, aren’t a huge problem - they’ll become quads when smoothed.  It all depends on where they are situated - if on a corner or curve, they can cause artefacts when smoothed.  Best to stick with quads all the way.  one way to deal with them is by terminating an edge flow in a diamond shape.

The air intakes are holes - I would be inclined to extrude inwards, delete the “back wall”, then bridge to make the grids.  Extruding, in or out, should not interfere with the edge flow if done correctly.

This is one of those design choices Wendy was referring to - you could fake the holes by using an alpha map.

Image Attachments
intake.jpg
triquad.jpg

Posted: 27 June 2012 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-12-29

As awlays roy :D you save the day with a quick and very helpful response
This is the result I was going for, does anyone want to critique it with feedback smile im happy to hear

Image Attachments
Quickie.png
Untitled.png
 Signature 

Posted: 27 June 2012 07:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-01

Difficult to say without seeing the mesh - there are some pinching issues - could you post two wire pics, with and without smoothing?

Posted: 27 June 2012 08:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-12-29

of course , unsmoothed and level 4 smoothing

Image Attachments
pie.png
pie2.png
 Signature 

Posted: 28 June 2012 01:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-01

Thanks - that makes it much easier.
Firstly, the most obvious - you have a six-sided N-gon at the top front corner of the wheel arch, causing a dent.  This is caused by the edge running up the the wheel arch - this edge doesn’t appear to have a purpose.  Perhaps it’s there to flare the arch?  If so, I would join it to the vert immediately above and behind, making it into two quads and continuing the loop around the wheel arch.  If that’s not the purpose, rather get rid of it.
Secondly, the inward extrusions for the air intake are causing pinching at their tips.  I haven’t found a method of making such small extrusions nice and smooth without adding a lot of edges - maybe someone can help us out here.  I personally would rather make a hole, or a large inward extrusion and make the fins separately.
There are some dings around the front corner and it’s difficult to find a reason - the geometry looks OK, although there are too many edge loops for the purpose.  Possibly some of it is non-planar.  This is a problem with box-modelling something as curvy as a car, which is why I prefer using the surfaces tools.
Try cutting in some more edge loops through the middle of the faces in that area..
It shouldn’t be necessary to smooth to level 4 - level 2 and occasionally 3 should be enough.  If you need more than that, it shows that the geometry is pretty uneven - again because of box-modelling?  Rather add more loops and keep the smoothing down.
Hope this helps somewhat.

Cheers

Posted: 28 June 2012 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  210
Joined  2003-10-09

You should head over to http://www.digitaltutors.com/11/index.php Well .worth the money and you’ll learn alot. Most tuts that have polymodeling can easily be transferred to hexagon. I made a Mustang once from a tut for 3dmax and had no problem to adapt it to hexagon.

Signature 

Renderosity. http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=29771

Rendo Freebies. http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/index.php?username=ghostman

RDNA http://www.runtimedna.com/Ghostman/

Posted: 28 June 2012 04:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-12-29

Wow those tutorials look very promising!, but before I dive into the hardcore stuff I wanna learn as much as I can for free frist, like I said this is just for constructive crictisim and feedback but I appreciate the link , really, I saved it in my favorites bar ^^ probally in a month I will save up to take a few learning coursed that arent free there smile but im sure you should put that link in the tutorial section of this forum, im sure alot of other people can find that very useful

Signature 

Posted: 28 June 2012 05:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-12-29

So if I understand you correctly roy, you say a more simplier solution to making the air intakes is to extrude a hole, model the small spines of the air intake seperatly then wield them together to the object after there done? wouldnt that create the same result or would that just make the pinching invisble since there is not backface for the edges to fall on?

I tried something like that simlar but didnt seem to give me much of a effect, but as far as realism goes,

Other then using a alpha map to create the holes, would it be possible to just add texture on top of the areas where there is pinching to help make it look more smooth?

I mean , I didnt look to bad to me , but I always like going for the best, here is a result with a differnt lighting shader,

Image Attachments
rawr2.png
 Signature 

Posted: 28 June 2012 05:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2006-08-23

He means something like bellow. It’s just tossed together quick so it’s not very pretty but should give you the idea, the three lines that meet the fins can be eliminated also.

I haven’t checked out DT much since they changed format but their tutorials are well done and planned out so there isn’t a lot of the “hmmm, let me try it this way” type garbage most have. I don’t think they have any specific to Hex but as Ghostman said, they are easy to transfer between any app.

Image Attachments
Vents01.jpg

Posted: 28 June 2012 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-12-29

actually admkrk, thats exaclty what I was looking for! it looks great smile . im inclined to ask how you did it if your willing to teach a newbie

Signature 

Posted: 28 June 2012 07:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-08-23

For the fins? Nothing fancy, just squashed a cube and beveled the edges plus added some splits to give them a bit of curve. You should be able to see it better in this picture. All the unseen polys can be deleted before duplicating the first one to lighten up the mesh and you could lose over half the lines you have in the nose if you did something like this.

But like I said It was just tossed together and as you can see when smoothed, has a lot of ridges. It does take a bit of time to get it right so that doesn’t happen or I’d have fixed that too.

Image Attachments
Vents03.jpg
Vents02.jpg

Posted: 28 June 2012 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-08-23

Just to add that that Blender tutorial simpleplanning linked isn’t too bad even if it is long winded. I’ve been puttering around with it and came up with this so far. I only loosely followed it and it didn’t spend much time tweaking since I’m not planning to finish it so there are plenty of problems with the mesh as it is but for the most part it’s not a bad tutorial and shows a good basic workflow, except for all the times he redoes stuff.

Image Attachments
P001.jpg

Posted: 29 June 2012 12:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-01

What admkrk shows is exactly what I meant - nice flow on the test model.  I’m learning Blender, so will take a look at those tuts next month when my broadband allowance is reset - running almost on empty right now.  My ISP is currently upgrading the speed of our connections, which will triple the speed and make those endless pauses for buffering less painful.

To answer Apoc23 - I was wondering whether the dings would be less obvious in a different lighting and they are.  I don’t know how to texture something to disguise the pinching - bear in mind that when you texture your car, you’ll want a nice shiny, glossy finish, which will accentuate any flaws.

PS - You could try a light brushing over the dings with the smoothing tool - but do this on a copy, because it can go horribly wrong if overdone.

Posted: 29 June 2012 05:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-12-29

yea my workflow got all messed up cause I didnt know how to use all the tools they showed in some of the videos til now raspberry and also I followed the image to the latter instead of considering the actually geometry of the final object. So any other modeling tutorials for differnt programs im confident I can translate into hex now. But I have to admit im learing alot more then I ever could, fixing my mistakes, then I would from watching or reading toturials online ohh so I thank you guys alot for the help , you’ve been very resourceful , I hope I can be as great moddlers as you in the future raspberry

Signature 

2 of 3