Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
A lost Car ( in details )
Posted: 21 June 2012 04:25 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2008-12-29

Hello again smile The forums here are always helpful and I’ve seen alot of skillful people here in terms of 3d modeling.

I was working on this project for about a month now ( on and off ) and I finally got the jest of modeling in hexagon. Sadly im no where near pro level and was wondering if I can ask for opinions and help on this car model I been working on.

I have the wheels designed as well as the underbody layed out. But as far as the structure of the car goes, It looks exactly as how I wanted! . . . except . . well . .  its not as detailed , If that makes any sense. It looks very plain , compared to other figures on this site that look very realistic, mines is just looks like a low poly version.
Are there any tips on how to make it—-

* More realistic
* higher polygon
* smoothed while keeping the shape in certain sections
* detailed

Now this is just feedback im looking for ^^ not a detailed tutorial of how to do every lil thing. But feel free to post them as you like smile im certain someone will find this information useful. But go easy on me lol its my frist attempt at modeling in hexagon

I was kinda hoping to get my model to look something like the last picture of the lamburgini

Image Attachments
Proff_1.png
Proff_2.png
Proff_3.png
 Signature 

LOL be warned, I might be friendly

Posted: 21 June 2012 06:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7106
Joined  2009-07-13

not a modeller but one thing I notice is detailed texture maps and use of materials goes a long way in making otherwise simple models pop!
most things look plain and low poly in wire frame or untextured, think video games, normal maps and displacement adds a lot of detail too.

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
my gallery

Posted: 21 June 2012 10:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1284
Joined  2008-01-01

That is pretty good for a first try grin  Detailed cars are not easy to model.

Difficult to really have a good look at yours with this small resolution they now allow us on the forum.  Off-hand, it seems that your topology is a bit messy - take a look at this Bugatti Veyron I started some time back and haven’t yet completed because I’m having a real problem getting the windows right.  Notice how the edges flow following the contours of the body and defining it.  All the polys are quad and pretty much square and every edges flows right across the body.

That is what will give you good smoothing and gives enough mesh to do details.  For the parts that must remain sharp and hard, you add edges close together - the closer they are, the more they resist smoothing.

Your topology seems to be a mix of quads, tris and N-gons, with some random edges which don’t seem to serve any purpose.  My rule of thumb is that if an edge does not define a change in shape, it has no business being there.

Hope I’m not seeming too harsh here - it is meant constructively, not as criticism.

What method did you use?  The normal method tuts show of making a box , cutting edges and moving verts to match the shape?  That works OK for low poly models, but for something more detailed, using surfaces tools, especially the Gordon surfaces gives more satisfactory results.

Then, as Wendy says, using textures for final details does the trick - always a toss-up on how to much to model and how much to fake with textures.

Image Attachments
veyron.jpg

Posted: 22 June 2012 04:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-12-29

Thanks for the Tip Wendy and Roy smile, your right cars are not easy to model.
But if I understand what your saying, you said its best for my edges to flow all the way across the body instead of being cut off half way? is that what makes mine so sloopy when smoothed? cause its not all quads?
And I also noticed that you have your side mirrors done, any tips of tutorials on how you extruded them and made it look so smooth smile? I would to have as much tips and tricks as I can smile and dont worry your criticism is not harsh at all, im finding this information very usefull cuase im still learning much about modeling

Also as a side note, if I wanted to change my model back into mostly quads, would it be easier to just erase, connect, and redraw the edges, or is there another way to do so and keep the symetry?

Signature 

Posted: 22 June 2012 05:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  92
Joined  2010-12-04

apoc im not a hex modeler but i do model cars almost exclusively
1st tip is to place all edges on a crease on the body       a.k.a. edge modeling
locate the basic form points and work from there
a unimesh is good if you need it for a background piece but if its featured you want something more accurate

also you dont extrude the mirros they are sperated meshes simply for topology

and roygee i did spot 1 flaw in you veyron
top center of the windshield
seems the verts are merged incorrectly

Posted: 22 June 2012 05:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-01

Hi Apoc - yes, that is what I meant - you’ll discover along your modelling journey to, in general, avoid any poly shape other than quad and to have them evenly spaced.  Topology is a science - if you want to learn more about good shaping, take a look at these http://vimeo.com/user904568  and http://www.blendernewbies.com/tools/subdivisionmodeling/subd_PRIMER/index.html (darn this new forum, can’t find a way to make a dynamic link to URL’s)

There is a pretty good car box modelling tutorial at Geekatplay - he never finished the project, but it’s good enough to get you started.

I normally model only one half of symmetrical objects - Hex does have symmetrical modelling, but it’s not all that trustworthy.

The mirror is a separate mesh - I model things in as many separate pieces as I can get away with - makes UV mapping, texturing and animation easier.

If I remember correctly, the mirror started as a chamfered oblong, which was shaped, extruded and closed, then the stem extruded from the mirror body.

Well spotted, simpleplanning - I assure you there are many more mistakes in that model.  Glad you came along - maybe you can give me some tips on doing the door windows - they curve from top to bottom and front to back, curved all around the perimeter and the front tapers to a rounded point.

Posted: 22 June 2012 06:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-12-29

Ah I see now. I used geekatplay’s video along with a few others to get me started, but cause all of them were unfinished. I was on my own to finish it. I learned alot doing it myself, though I still wish they was a full car modeling tutorial. The next step im looking for is to cut the model in half so I can take away the symetry. I started using hex’s symmetrical modelling but somewhere along the line, my symmetry got lost.
do you happen to know the best way to resymmetrize it agian or slice it evenly into half?

Signature 

Posted: 22 June 2012 08:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-01

Come to think of it, I’ve never seen a completed car tut - probably because it would take too long to do.  The guy at Geekatplay had a sysytem failure, lost all his files and wasn’t up to starting from scratch - don’t blame him.

No way I’ve seen to recover lost symmetry, other than cutting the model in half and mirroring it.

First make sure the model is centred in the X-axis - go into top view, select it and check that the X-position is zero - if not type in 0.00.  Now you need to cut a line down the centre - select “tessellate by slice”, hold down shift and click on an edge running along the X-axis which transverses the model.  Sometimes this operation can give strange results - if this happens, abort, select the edge again and do a ring-select - make sure it has selected a ring of edges right around the model, then hit “connect”.

That should give you an edge cutting all the way through the model on the centre-line.  Select this and check that the edge is positioned at X = 0.00 and the X size is 0.00.  Select the points on the side of the model you don’t like and delete.  With the remainder of the model selected, hit “symmetry” and choose either X+ or X-.  That should give you a mirrored mesh right up against the original.  Select both and weld, average weld.

Posted: 22 June 2012 05:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-12-04

http://cgcookie.com/blender/2009/12/05/modeling-a-porsche-911-gt3-rs-part-01-2/

its for blender but the basic mechanics are the same in all modeling wares
grand total its about 8-9 hours for all 8 parts

now after about 12 hours of research into hexagons modeling system i can officialy say it it almost useless
at least for modeling complex meshes

modeling cars needs to be done vertex by vertex on a mirror and the mirror in hex has no clipping point
also since the basics are basic id suggest even sketchup would be better

Posted: 23 June 2012 07:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-01

Hex is certainly quirky and unstable on some machines, not very good at catching user errors and lacks a lot of modern tools because of lack of development, but to say it is useless for making complex meshes is a very sweeping statement.  Such a pity that the old forum has been archived, or I could point you to very good, highly complex models, including motor cars, shown in the old WIP thread.  For an example of an excellently made motor car, look at page 39 of the manual, which should be in “Docs” in your Hex program folder.  Many professional vendors use Hex as their primary modeller.

Poly-by-poly is not the only method of modelling motor cars, - surface tools give far better, faster results - but if that is how you prefer to do it, Hex is certainly up to the task.

In fact, any modelling app that can string together two polys is capable of producing any shape you want, the only limitation being the knowledge and skill of the user and the size of model the app can handle.

Not sure what you mean by a clipping mirror clipping point, but Hex certainly does have a mirror plane.  The symmetry modelling tools are not the greatest, but you can model one half then mirror and join the two sides perfectly symmetrical.

Posted: 24 June 2012 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2006-08-23
Roygee - 23 June 2012 07:18 PM

Not sure what you mean by a clipping mirror clipping point,

All that does is prevent you from pushing a point past the center line, which isn’t a problem in the first place if you pay attention to what you’re doing. Personally I don’t like modeling in symmetry and just do one side so maybe that’s why I see it as a useless feature?

Posted: 26 June 2012 02:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-12-04

roy to state that i said it was useless is assanine i never said that
the temrinology i used was almost useless

and perhaps that is a bit harsh if all you intend to make is modern era cookie cutter cars that are very low detail and low poly

and for the record i have the archived site available and its still rhudementory at best

and there is a reason that modelers do not complete a car tut in hex           they fix the issues in another software

mirror modeling is ok for the basic form but the details should be vert by vert
i have a 34 ford coupe i am working on that the geometry would kill hex       and did
also just for a test render it crashed poser and studio

Posted: 26 June 2012 05:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-01

Assinine - spelt incorrectly, but means - “Something so stupid it makes a person look like a complete ass, despite whatever misguided good intentions they believe they have.”

OK - let’s agree to disagree and try to keep it polite.

On the one hand we have seen and admired many works done in Hex by folks such as CGDreams, Duke of Vampires, BigT, m_m_italy, to mention but a few, whose work is anything but rudimentary.  Maybe you could post something done by yourself, so that we can judge.

Doesn’t seem much point in producing work which is so heavy it can’t be rendered in everyday software?

Posted: 26 June 2012 06:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  285
Joined  2009-08-21
Roygee - 26 June 2012 05:57 AM

Assinine - spelt incorrectly, but means - “Something so stupid it makes a person look like a complete ass, despite whatever misguided good intentions they believe they have.”

OK - let’s agree to disagree and try to keep it polite.

On the one hand we have seen and admired many works done in Hex by folks such as CGDreams, Duke of Vampires, BigT, m_m_italy, to mention but a few, whose work is anything but rudimentary.  Maybe you could post something done by yourself, so that we can judge.

Doesn’t seem much point in producing work which is so heavy it can’t be rendered in everyday software?

Ciao “Roygee”.
Capito poco…...
Capito quasi niente…...
Bat: Grazie.

Ciao

P.S.
Sorry for the O.T.

Image Attachments
il_baffo_del_signor_pilade.png
 Signature 

“Il principio della scienza della pittura è il punto, il secondo è la linea, il terzo è la superficie, il quarto è il corpo che si veste di tal superficie”
Leonardo da Vinci

Posted: 26 June 2012 08:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-01

Cia0 m_m_italy

smile

Felice di vedere che sono tornati sul forum - aspettiamo fom lavoro più si

Posted: 26 June 2012 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  285
Joined  2009-08-21
Roygee - 26 June 2012 08:36 AM

Cia0 m_m_italy

smile

Felice di vedere che sono tornati sul forum - aspettiamo fom lavoro più si

O.K.

If I remember correctly you write from South Africa .......
Hello from Italy

P. S.
Sorry for O.T.
And congratulations for models.

Signature 

“Il principio della scienza della pittura è il punto, il secondo è la linea, il terzo è la superficie, il quarto è il corpo che si veste di tal superficie”
Leonardo da Vinci

1 of 3