7 of 8
Does anyone use Carrara for Modeling?
Posted: 16 March 2014 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 91 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6154
Joined  2007-12-04
PhilW - 16 March 2014 04:22 PM

The scene I posted was done for the upcoming training set “Realism in Carrara” so I talk you through various aspects of the scene such as the interior lighting technique, materials, even how to make that bookcase (I think you’ll be surprised!). Another week or two and I will have completed the actual recording. Infinite Skills then do a lot of editing to make me look professional!

Thanks Phil! I can’t wait! wink
Now get to thinking about your next one! Keep ‘em coming!

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 16 March 2014 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 92 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  240
Joined  2013-04-15

My brain had already rested for 4 days!! wink It’s ready to go back to work!!! So thank you!! It seems very interesting!! smile Will read it and try it wink

“Realism in Carrara”!!! Sounds very interesting!!! Oh god, I’m becoming addicted to tutorials!!! :D

Signature 

Follow my artistic work in these pages smile I will be very grateful and happy!

https://www.facebook.com/taniagomes.art
http://taniagomesart.deviantart.com/

Posted: 16 March 2014 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 93 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1182
Joined  2005-04-12
TaniaGomes.Art - 16 March 2014 04:28 PM

My brain had already rested for 4 days!! wink It’s ready to go back to work!!! So thank you!! It seems very interesting!! smile Will read it and try it wink

“Realism in Carrara”!!! Sounds very interesting!!! Oh god, I’m becoming addicted to tutorials!!! :D

That’s what I like to hear! (LOL!) wink

Posted: 16 March 2014 04:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 94 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Yeah Phil, this Tania creature sure has some passion - and is a real go-getter! Soon she’ll be the one teaching all of us, I’m sure wink

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 16 March 2014 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 95 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-04-15

Ahahahahah!! Thank you dartan!!

I’m really loving 3d!!! And it is like a mix of all I love and learned before - sculpture, geometry, drawing…
And to see all these potential to create my enchanted world…. it’s just motivating!! smile
To be honest, I was always addicted to learning. Is just that now found something that really got me passionated - 3d!!! smile

Signature 

Posted: 16 March 2014 05:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 96 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Yeah… well said… me too.
I am totally into 3d now and nothing… nothing can drag me away. Well, my Rosie could, but she doesn’t! wink

Signature 

Posted: 17 March 2014 02:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 97 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  391
Joined  2013-10-24
TaniaGomes.Art - 16 March 2014 03:41 PM

Ah, by the way, just bought learning carrara 8.5 from infinite skills!! smile it was on sale and I could not let it go… wink now I will really start to learn how to take advantage of this amazing software!!!

Missed out on that :( and being on very low income, $100 is beyond my means. Still I’m sure another sale will come around sometime…

Posted: 17 March 2014 02:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 98 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1182
Joined  2005-04-12
Tim_A - 17 March 2014 02:42 AM

Ah, by the way, just bought learning carrara 8.5 from infinite skills!! smile it was on sale and I could not let it go… wink now I will really start to learn how to take advantage of this amazing software!!!

Missed out on that :( and being on very low income, $100 is beyond my means. Still I’m sure another sale will come around sometime…

There will probably be a catch-up sale at the end of the month.

Posted: 17 March 2014 03:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 99 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-10-24

Thanks Phil, you’re a sweetie wink

Posted: 17 March 2014 05:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 100 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  227
Joined  0
evilproducer - 17 February 2014 04:28 PM
otodomus - 17 February 2014 04:10 PM

Hi, the version I have is the 5 Pro, I have also installed the 8.5 but I am more accustomed to use the 5 pro, I will try using that, any ideas on bump settings? I always wondered if a UV mapping can be bumped? Like a dotted pattern or the same metal textured….

I’m not quite sure what you mean about the UV map being bumped. You can make bump maps using the UV as a template. I don’t have a lot of experience creating UV maps.

The bump channel of the shader is a grayscale image, either an image map, or generated using procedural functions such as noise or wires etc. The bright part of the image in the bump channel appears to be a higher bump and the dark part appears to be lower or even indented part. The bump channel does not alter the geometry of the mesh, which is why I asked how close the camera will get. If it’s very close, then you will be better using displacement (which does alter the geometry) or your own geometry.

You can get some nice effects using the bump channel in conjunction with other shader channels such as highlight and shininess.

The following image uses lines in the bump channel and the highlight/shininess channels to make it appear there is ribbing under the skin of the Zeppelins. They’re not my models, but I re-textured them.

very convincing lighting and texturing EP, I would add some stormy clouds to emphasize the drama grin

Posted: 17 March 2014 05:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 101 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  227
Joined  0
PhilW - 16 March 2014 01:16 PM

Kixum - great work!

This is a scene that I modelled, textured and lit in Carrara, I already posted it over at Renderosity so thought that I would share it here too.

Nicely done PhilW surprised
as for the shadow issue on the ceiling maybe this video in japanese might help http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfB4dsQWRD8
- 1:15 min onward -

Posted: 17 March 2014 05:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 102 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-04-15
Tim_A - 17 March 2014 02:42 AM

It was really lucky!! I just wanted that training and was waiting for my birthday to see how much money I would get.
So got the money, 1st bought a wacom pro, saw how much it was left and run into daz 3d to buy the training, while I was still thinking if I really should spend that money on it… and ta daaa…. it was on sale. It actually happened the same with Carrara… hmmm… I’m actually a very lucky girl smile

Signature 

Posted: 22 March 2014 11:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 103 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  268
Joined  2006-05-09
evilproducer - 16 March 2014 04:12 PM
-_Milo_- - 16 March 2014 03:51 PM
Dartanbeck - 16 March 2014 03:31 PM

Beautiful work, both of you.
Phil, the lighting you’ve done is nothing shy of breathtaking. All linear workflow I’m assuming?
Are you using GI with IL or did you try an alternate method? I really like the effects you have going on here, and it works really wel with my studies from the Birn book, which has me dying to try incorporating the Occlusion Sandwich method as a test to see if it’s possibly a way to go for me. IL has become totally out of the question, as it just adds too much time to each single frame. The sandwich method is looking like a fantastic solution.

Anyways, Both of you - excellent work!

Dartanbeck, I have the book I think its release 2 (I need to check) are you going through release 3 or 2? I haven’t read much of the book yet so not familiar with the Occlusion Sandwich.. YET!

He and I are reading version 3. I’m standing over his shoulder with my telescopic reading glasses as I’m just outside of Curtiss and he’s in the heart of Algoma. But hey, the sun is bright right now so it’s not so bad. wink

I am saving my nickles for it, are you by chance reading the kindle version or the physical hard copy?

Signature 

Carrara Cafe

Posted: 23 March 2014 12:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 104 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5453
Joined  2006-08-27

Physical copy. It was a gift. I still have to DL the working files and stuff.

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 23 March 2014 02:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 105 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-10-24

I’ve looked at the blurb for it, and it’s definitely going onto my wishlist for the paper edition. (while Kindles are great for fiction, when it comes to reference works, it feels like I’m trying to read through a keyhole!)

7 of 8