Digital Art Zone

2 of 7
What would be the steps (workflow) be to create a Genesis NearMe?
Posted: 15 July 2013 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5987
Joined  2003-10-09

Glad I could help.
I did help, didn’t I? LOL

Signature 

My Renderosity Gallery - My DAZ Gallery - My ShareCG Freebies
“I hope that after I die, people will say of me: ‘That guy sure owed me a lot of money.’” - Jack Handey

Posted: 15 July 2013 03:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  746
Joined  2011-05-17

You definitely helped a lot, yes!

Posted: 15 July 2013 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1352
Joined  2012-08-31
Paradigm67 - 15 July 2013 10:09 AM

Hi all,

Like the title says, I’d like to know what would be needed/best for making a nearMe morph for genesis.

NearMe is a pretty iconic figure in my mind, and has not seen any serious attention for a long while. Sure, a few dedicated artists still make stuff for her, but there is no support for the actual character.

I was more than happy to use her during the v4 era, but as I get more and more spoiled by Genesis, I notice the older technology more and more. That being said, I think I am willing to make a substantial time commitment to creating a passable nearMe FBM for Genesis.

My first thought was to find a way to increase nearMe’s poly count or decrease genesis’ poly count to match and then just to the import obj morph target thing, but I feel that that might not work out as easily as I think.

So, can anybody suggest a workflow and programs I can use to do this? I’d really like to be able to somehow use nearMe’s body as a morph target for Genesis’ mesh but I doubt it is actually possible.

For example: Does Decimator allow you to choose the poly count you “decimate” to? If so, would decimating to nearme’s poly count and then using nearme as a morph target work?

Edit: clarified about usage “with v4” being in the v4 era.

I recently made a set of anime morphs for the Genesis figure that you might be able to use as a starting point to building a NearMe figure.

You can get them here.
http://www.sharecg.com/v/70211/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Ghastlys-General-Purpose-Anime-Team-G1-Morphs
http://www.sharecg.com/v/70264/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Ghastlys-Big-Eye-Anime-Team-Genesis-1-morphs.
http://www.sharecg.com/v/70301/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Big-Eyes-Closed-Pose-Modifier-Genesis

Good luck. They’re completely restriction free so you can incorporate them completely into any finished morph you make.

Image Attachments
big_eye_anime_1.jpggp_animeteam_1.jpg

Posted: 16 July 2013 09:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-05-17

Hi everyone! I spent like 4 hours on my efforts yesterday and I’m almost ready to share the resulting figure. I’ll post screen shots tonight most likely. The hardest part is, without a doubt, the eyes. I gave up trying to make her nose extremely small like NearMe, but my alternative seems to have worked out well.

Once I have the shape I’m going to try to figure out a way to remove all of the proprietary stuff so I can hopefully make it share-able, as I am pretty proud of the results.

Posted: 16 July 2013 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2302
Joined  2010-12-18
Paradigm67 - 16 July 2013 09:03 AM

Hi everyone! I spent like 4 hours on my efforts yesterday and I’m almost ready to share the resulting figure. I’ll post screen shots tonight most likely. The hardest part is, without a doubt, the eyes. I gave up trying to make her nose extremely small like NearMe, but my alternative seems to have worked out well.

Once I have the shape I’m going to try to figure out a way to remove all of the proprietary stuff so I can hopefully make it share-able, as I am pretty proud of the results.

The way I see it you will need to share two things:

A. Your morph that ONLY contains your work.
B. A shaping preset that will dial in your morph and all the other morphs you used to get to the final product.

Assuming you haven’t collapsed all the morphs into a single morph target this should be doable.

Signature 

My deviantArt Pinup Gallery

Posted: 16 July 2013 09:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-05-17

I’m worried about my morph being seen as “too close to Hitomi” even if I sculpt it myself in Sculptris. My plan is to export a plain genesis into the program as an obj and model it myself, using my morphed out character as a reference. But in the end, isn’t that just copying a bunch of other’s work in a roundabout way?

Posted: 16 July 2013 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-18
Paradigm67 - 16 July 2013 09:49 AM

I’m worried about my morph being seen as “too close to Hitomi” even if I sculpt it myself in Sculptris. My plan is to export a plain genesis into the program as an obj and model it myself, using my morphed out character as a reference. But in the end, isn’t that just copying a bunch of other’s work in a roundabout way?

if you did indeed sculpt it yourself I wouldn’t worry. I think that there would be noticeable differences in the change in topology if you were to view your wireframes against hitomis.

Also one could argue Hitomi is just copying a generic anime template. But thats fine, because it was done via Mallen’s own efforts. When it comes to anime, mimicing others styles or ideas is part of the industry.

The most important thing is whether you do the work yourself or not.

EDIT: Also I would say not to worry about what people think is “close” to Hitomi/Aiko/NearMe anyway, because a lot of folks think all toons look alike anyway. I wouldn’t be surprised if you shared your NearMe imitation and people called it Aiko! I’m sure discerning eyes who follow that style of character will see the differences.

Also your not making a Hitomi clone, just a NearMe clone, so I don’t think you would have much to worry about.

EDIT2: Also even if you DID make a similar figure to Hitomi, it wouldn’t have the ton of morphs she comes with for her eyes and cheeks. So it’s not really competition.

Signature 

Posted: 16 July 2013 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2789
Joined  2006-07-31
Paradigm67 - 16 July 2013 09:49 AM

You initial purpose was NearMe, wasn’t it? Even if they are similar in spirit (both are young anime big eyed girls), it is very clear from this thread that your purpose wasn’t to make a copy Hitomi and default shapes for Hitomi and NearMe are quite different, especially in breasts area.

Signature 

Original Genesis shape and Genesis morphs transfer to G2F/G2M, G2F/G2M clones for Genesis
a way to transfer morphs to Genesis without Gen-X

Posted: 16 July 2013 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-05-17

The body is completely my own work (damn near nearMe, I’m pretty proud), but the head heavily uses the hitomi head shape and the Genesis head resource kits.

Posted: 16 July 2013 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-07-31
Paradigm67 - 16 July 2013 10:34 AM

The body is completely my own work (damn near nearMe, I’m pretty proud), but the head heavily uses the hitomi head shape and the Genesis head resource kits.

Resource kits should be fine for redistribution as long as you ‘bake’ all resource kit morphs into one. Hitomi should be unbacked and added as a preset (dial value) only.
I.e. you should have your own morphs, Resource kit morphs baked as one separately and a dial preset for Hitomi, with no actual Hitomi morph data involved.

Signature 

Original Genesis shape and Genesis morphs transfer to G2F/G2M, G2F/G2M clones for Genesis

Posted: 16 July 2013 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-05-17

Ugh that sounds like a lot of work. Hopefully I can get the head and eye shapes without using Hitomi at all. That’d be nice.

Posted: 16 July 2013 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-07-31
Paradigm67 - 16 July 2013 11:02 AM

Ugh that sounds like a lot of work. Hopefully I can get the head and eye shapes without using Hitomi at all. That’d be nice.

I’m making things sound more complicated than they are smile

Your own separate NearMe morphs remain separate.
‘Baked’ Resource morphs means that you leave only Resource morphs dialed as they need to be, export it an obj and reimport it back as a single morph, so separate Resource morphs can’t be separated from each other.

Saving a preset is easy in DS. When you ready, dial all morphs you prepared, including Hitomi morphs, and use Save As - Character preset. Character preset saves only dial values, not the morphs themselves, and this is what you want if Hitomi is involved.

When you package, just add your own morph(s) and baked Resource morph to a character preset into proper folder structure.

Signature 

Posted: 16 July 2013 11:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-05-17

Yeah I’ve baked many a morph in my day, I was just getting confused about the Character Preset, as I’ve never actually tried to share anything and have never actually saved a preset; I just save the figure to my library :p

Posted: 16 July 2013 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-18

You can also use shape preset I would think, as shape presets are not concerned with materials. I use shape presets myself, not sure if there is a disadvantage to them (again excluding the texture piece).

Signature 

Posted: 16 July 2013 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-05-17

Yeah, shape presets would be probably better. Textures for my character are going to be hard to find. I use an old v4 anime skin. I accidentally loaded a v5 skin and it was a nightmare. It’d be cool if I could make a UV template to use NearMe textures, but that’s really not my field of expertise.

2 of 7