Digital Art Zone

3 of 5
List of Shader Mixer Tutorials and Recipes WIP please be patient as I update the list…thanks!
Posted: 15 July 2013 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  894
Joined  2007-01-04
ReDave - 11 July 2013 02:16 PM

Feel free to use the networks I posted on the forums.
I can’t post or even check the forums much these days, as there seems to be a problem with Opera under Win8, in that I get the Cloudflare screen each time I try to open a topic, and I usually don’t feel like opening a virtual machine just to browse the DAZ3D forums.

I get that all the time, DAZ have gone all big brother on us and you now need to be logged in to view the threads, you can access the forums without being logged in just not the threads. To add insult to injury you might be logged in when you access the forums, only for the bloody site to log you out before you get near the threads.

Signature 

**shuffles of with a new headache** tongue wink

Posted: 16 July 2013 07:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1308
Joined  2006-08-19

more work on tree bark, I went in a different direction this time, (went for a more oak bark look as we have a bunch of scrub oak outside the window here).

Image Attachments
treebark-4.jpg
 Signature 

http://rarethdigitalmusings.blogspot.com/

http://rareth1966.deviantart.com/gallery/

Posted: 16 July 2013 07:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-19

This is how I achieved it, fairly simple brick network.

Image Attachments
Bark-Network.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 16 July 2013 07:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5605
Joined  2006-02-20

Thanks Rareth!

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?

Posted: 16 July 2013 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-19
Kerya - 16 July 2013 07:45 AM

Thanks Rareth!

you’re welcome,  I should point out the shader works very well for tree trunks, I am still trying to see if I can get the procedural to “follow” the branch orientations, because right now it’s just stretched along the y axis.

sample render in a scene.

Image Attachments
Bark-Test.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 29 August 2013 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  937
Joined  2005-03-26

Map Normals to UVs instead of to the camera.

Image Attachments
UV-Mapped_Normals.jpg
 Signature 

My dA gallery
For God’s sake!  Gallifrey Stands!

And God still reigns.

Posted: 29 August 2013 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2216
Joined  2005-09-05

first sorry , I missed a lot of posts as I stopped getting notifications again…

Thanks for the headsup on the name Szark…

Rareth - 16 July 2013 07:42 AM

This is how I achieved it, fairly simple brick network.

thanks for the network….I’ll update the list to include it.

Thanks Eustace for the info on how to improve it.

Signature 

Shadermixer tutorials and recipes
My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 29 August 2013 05:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-09-05
Eustace Scrubb - 29 August 2013 11:02 AM

Hi Eustace, a couple of questions about your map. First, is the initial displacement block is the standard root brick for Displacement, I noticed that you plugged the binary brick straight into it instead of using the standard displacement setup was that so you got normals instead of Displacement?
My second question is I’m wondering why you plugged the binary into the ambient?

Also I was wondering if this would work with the marble brick or if it only works with a uv?

Signature 

My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 30 August 2013 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
RankRank
Joined  2005-03-26
Pendraia - 29 August 2013 05:13 PM

Hi Eustace, a couple of questions about your map. First, is the initial displacement block is the standard root brick for Displacement, I noticed that you plugged the binary brick straight into it instead of using the standard displacement setup was that so you got normals instead of Displacement?
My second question is I’m wondering why you plugged the binary into the ambient?

Also I was wondering if this would work with the marble brick or if it only works with a uv?

The key is multiplying the NormalMap brick and the NTransform brick (Current to Object) with a Binary Function.  I only stuck it into Ambient to color the sphere something other than grey.  On the Displacement root, N is Normal and it’s where either Normal or Bump plug in at.  Displacement goes in at P:  I never tried P.

The NormalMap brick aligns camera-forward: the default (Current) map alignment is changed to UV (Object) in the binary operation.  I’m not sure what effect you’re seeking to produce with a Marble brick.

Signature 

My dA gallery

And God still reigns.

Posted: 30 August 2013 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-09-05
Eustace Scrubb - 30 August 2013 07:45 PM
Pendraia - 29 August 2013 05:13 PM

The key is multiplying the NormalMap brick and the NTransform brick (Current to Object) with a Binary Function.  I only stuck it into Ambient to color the sphere something other than grey.  On the Displacement root, N is Normal and it’s where either Normal or Bump plug in at.  Displacement goes in at P:  I never tried P.

The NormalMap brick aligns camera-forward: the default (Current) map alignment is changed to UV (Object) in the binary operation.  I’m not sure what effect you’re seeking to produce with a Marble brick.

Okay…bear with me as I’m full of cold, so I hope this makes sense.

I normally using N and P to get displacement…I hadn’t realised that normal get plugged into the same node as the bumps. Thanks for the info.

From what you are saying it sounds like you need to have at least an image brick plugged in for the Normalmap brick to align with. The original poster was using the marble brick to get the bark texture which is why I asked about it. He used a mix brick with the marble as an alpha with the two layers using different colours. If the image brick is necessary it’s probably possible to add another mix brick in to combine his original mix set up and the image brick. I’ll have a play when my head is clear. Too many things to do and my brain is too fuzzy to do them at the moment.

Thanks for the additional info…

Signature 

My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 01 September 2013 07:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
RankRank
Joined  2005-03-26

Here’s the basic displacement network:  all you have to do to set this up is to add Bump and Displacement maps to the standard shader.

Image Attachments
Basic_Displacement_network.jpg
 Signature 

My dA gallery

And God still reigns.

Posted: 02 September 2013 08:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-09-05
Eustace Scrubb - 01 September 2013 07:54 PM

Here’s the basic displacement network:  all you have to do to set this up is to add Bump and Displacement maps to the standard shader.

Hi Eustace, thanks for network that allows different image for bump and displacement. I’ve only ever used one but can see where it would be useful. I take it that the end bricks are both image bricks that you’ve renamed?

Signature 

My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 03 September 2013 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
RankRank
Joined  2005-03-26
Pendraia - 02 September 2013 08:01 PM

Hi Eustace, thanks for network that allows different image for bump and displacement. I’ve only ever used one but can see where it would be useful. I take it that the end bricks are both image bricks that you’ve renamed?

Honestly, I stole it intact from Zigraphix’ ShaderMixer Tutorial files, and I believe I’ve set it up just so, automatically, by plugging maps in at Displacement and Bump.  I renamed the bricks, but you’re right:  it’s just another Image Map brick on each one.

This is what happens when I take a plane in the Default Shader and insert Displacement and Bump Maps, then import the surface shader to SM from the scene:

Image Attachments
Basic_Displacement_network_2.jpg
 Signature 

My dA gallery

And God still reigns.

Posted: 04 September 2013 01:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-09-05
Eustace Scrubb - 03 September 2013 07:05 PM
Pendraia - 02 September 2013 08:01 PM

Honestly, I stole it intact from Zigraphix’ ShaderMixer Tutorial files, and I believe I’ve set it up just so, automatically, by plugging maps in at Displacement and Bump.  I renamed the bricks, but you’re right:  it’s just another Image Map brick on each one.

This is what happens when I take a plane in the Default Shader and insert Displacement and Bump Maps, then import the surface shader to SM from the scene:

god…I hate getting old! If its the tutorial with the rotate brick I helped test it but don’t recall it using normals or two maps.

Signature 

My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 04 September 2013 08:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
RankRank
Joined  2005-03-26

That’s the one—but as you can see from the second post, it’s the same wiring that D|S sets up automatically.  All I did was to disentangle the node tree.

Signature 

My dA gallery

And God still reigns.

3 of 5