Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
Help On Bryce To DAZ
Posted: 08 July 2013 03:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3371
Joined  2004-10-01

Thanks for popping in here, Rashad. I knew my advice has very limited value. Great stuff.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 10 July 2013 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1329
Joined  2003-10-09
poetman75 - 07 July 2013 02:53 PM

Thank you! Thank you! I’ve got some of the basics down, but just feel so limited right now. I need to look at ways to make items such as rocks rougher less polygon-shaped.

If your objects are small and far away and can be darker and unevenly colored, you can often fake roughness a little by selecting an appropriate material.  Something with lots of dark spots, small and/or large, can give the illusion of shadows on a rough surface even if that surface is in fact perfectly smooth.
  You can also sometimes fake it by adding more detailed objects in just a few key points and giving them the same material; for example, stick a few stones poking out of the edge of a flattened cube and it might look like a cracked and broken platform from a distance.  Negative booleaned stones for holes can do the same thing if you are doing the final render in Bryce and not trying to export.
  There are also volumetric materials in Bryce that actually DO have holes that can be applied to an object, although that’s a whole new area to explore, but of course if you were planning on sending the object to DAZ, those won’t translate.
  If you are using materials in DAZ Studio after transferring an object from Bryce, you can look into bump and displacement in DAZ Studio materials as well to make surfaces rougher.

Attached is a low-budged example I slapped together quick just to illustrate, you can do better than it.
  Bottom left is a stone with a single-color material where you can see polygons; bad.  bottom middle is the same stone with a random material, which hides the polygons and looks a little pitted and rough even though it really isn’t.  bottom right is the same material with the bump slider set all the way to 100%, makes it look a bit rougher with almost zero effort.  Of course you could modify the material to add multiple octaves of roughness and so on.
  Top is a cube with a single stone stuck to one end.  Of course you can make a bunch of smaller stones to make a much more believable ragged end, but hopefully this illustrates the value of combining a small number of objects in key areas to add to the illusion of complexity.

Image Attachments
screenshot,_rough.png

2 of 2