Digital Art Zone

23 of 26
I want V4 Products not V5 or V6. Planned Obsolescence Has To Stop.
Posted: 24 July 2013 06:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 331 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  959
Joined  2006-06-12
chohole - 24 July 2013 04:14 AM

Or you could be getting confused as to which of 2 similar threads you posted in. rolleyes cool smirk

No, turns out the computer system I was working on was messed up and being worked on by technicians that didn’t bother to tell anyone they were working.

That’s why I hate it when you mods delete posts. I go and chew the techs out and they’re innocent.

This time they’re guilty.

I found they LOST about 3 hours of my work that now has to be redone.

Someone got yelled at today.

Signature 

There is a serious tendency toward capitalism among the well-to-do peasants.
Mao Tse-Tung

Posted: 24 July 2013 07:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 332 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  424
Joined  2012-12-18

Even in terms of presenting a healthy appearance, tanning, extreme dieting and high heels all come to mind as highly unhealthy practices that many in modern Westernized culture seem to associate with “beauty.”
The tanning is no more unhealthy than the whole anemic look that Westernized culture used to be obsessed with.  Actually, it’s probably healthier since the nobility got that way due to a combination of extremely sedentary lifestyle (other than the long walks from one end of the castle/mansion to another) and genetic disorders.  Oh, and a bit of artists’ creative license to boot (painting the subject’s portrait to be paler than the person actually is)
The dieting is just as bad, as the anemic look, though.

So then, by that observation, the gratuitous amount Caucasian skins we have in the store shouldn’t be nearly as interesting and well-selling as the scarcely few tanned ones we have. Not only that, but if you look at society these days, anyone who has a typical California-style tan is scoffed at as a Jersey Shore tool.
That’s partly because the California-style tan is usually the result of either a tanning salon (fake) or tanning lotion (even more fake and more scoffed at, and even more associated with Jersey Shore than a salon tan, in fact, since apparently one or more of the male characters from that show sported such a chemical “tan”.)  It probably doesn’t help that the tanning culture is beginning to be associated with underage tanning (including irresponsible moms who let their daughters tan), and that idiot who whined that Obama was taking her tanning booths away.  Jersey Shore may well have split the public view of tanning as well, since now many associate it with that show, which though popular (like Jerry Springer), is considered “trash TV”, and its cast members shallow, sleazy, and poorly educated.

Posted: 24 July 2013 08:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 333 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1545
Joined  2010-02-14

Still, it kind of contrary to what we’re seeing selling like hotcakes in the store. Tan skin is something that some people here actually demand to see more of, but as any PA will tell you, anything that’s not a skimpy white girl barely makes a month’s rent.

Signature 

“I’m sorry, I can’t hear you over the sound of how awesome I am!” ~ Brextor Ultimus

FORUM MEMBER POST RANKS
New Member = 0
Member = 25
Active Member = 250
Power Member = 1000
Addict = 2500

My Art Studio

Posted: 24 July 2013 08:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 334 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2826
Joined  2007-12-25
opal42987 - 24 July 2013 07:08 PM

Even in terms of presenting a healthy appearance, tanning, extreme dieting and high heels all come to mind as highly unhealthy practices that many in modern Westernized culture seem to associate with “beauty.”
The tanning is no more unhealthy than the whole anemic look that Westernized culture used to be obsessed with.

I don’t know about “no more unhealthy,” but the evidence for links to malignant melanoma (skin cancer) is pretty compelling: http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/skin/basic_info/indoor_tanning.htm  I’m not saying the “anemic look” was healthy. Certainly being bled or plastering lead compounds on the skin are not healthy activities. http://www.vintageconnection.net/ModesInMakeup.htm

My point is that there are a wide range of cultural practices that are considered to enhance “beauty” within the culture, but which are quite unhealthy. And further, that “beauty” when considered an indicator of health is therefore going to be pretty skewed, no matter which culture we’re talking about, and isn’t a “universal” value. A large number of the studies I’ve reviewed that claim to have discovered some universal constant were conducted only on Western culture subjects (often only on college students in North America or Western Europe). The only effect I was able to find strong support for across cultures is the neonate effect on female attractiveness, i.e. facial features that look childish are more attractive to men, and even that was moderated by location in the face (primarily eyes and nose).

As someone else has pointed out, the primary market at this and other 3D content stores is probably Westernized consumers, with a skew toward males, so if what we’re talking about is what’s going to sell at DAZ3D, sure, Western ideals are probably right on target. I just think it’s a mistake to think that these ideals represent some kind of universal virtue.

As far as “getting the conversation back on the rails” goes, is there anything more to say, other than that content creators are finding it more difficult to make a living making V4 products in a saturated market?

Signature 

Shop Zigraphix @ DAZ3D

Posted: 26 July 2013 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 335 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1545
Joined  2010-02-14

Well, I went off and did it.

For those of us who are concerned about male content, the official discussion is found Here.

Signature 

“I’m sorry, I can’t hear you over the sound of how awesome I am!” ~ Brextor Ultimus

FORUM MEMBER POST RANKS
New Member = 0
Member = 25
Active Member = 250
Power Member = 1000
Addict = 2500

My Art Studio

Posted: 27 September 2013 01:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 336 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2003-10-09

Yep, remember when V4 came out (I never upgraded although I have a lot of V4 and M4 stuff).  Still use Aiko 3, Hiro 3, David 3 due to having the huge investment in content, and I like their look over V4/M4.  I do believe Genesis is the first attempt by ANY retailer to address the upgrade issue. You can use Micheal 5 clothes on Skullcrusher Ogre and vice versa.  That’s a pretty big deal.  With the Gen 2 females expression abilities I’m seriously looking at moving over to Gen 2 now though.

Posted: 31 May 2014 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 337 ]
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2012-02-22
Fauvist - 04 July 2013 12:23 PM

[quote author=“Mr Leong” date=“1372961647” Just curious, are you using Daz Studio?  If so, what version?

I use Poser Pro 2012.  I feel DAZ invented DAZ Studio and lets people have it for free for the sole purpose of attracting new users to 3D art in order to buy DAZ content.

Very likely, and a description that fits me to a T smile

Both DAZ and Renderosity are still chock full of V4 stuff, as are a lot of the free CG sites.  IMO she seems to be DAZ’s magnum opus and I think that new content for V4 will continue to be produced for the foreseeable future.  I’ve noticed it’s a lot easier to find Victoria content than Stephanie content, for instance.

Posted: 31 May 2014 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 338 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  169
Joined  2007-11-09

V4 content is still strongly supported by content creators in other 3D stores (such as Renderosity and RuntimeDNA and Renderotica). I want more Genesis 1 content. I love mixing and matching clothes between males/females/creatures/toons. I’m skipping the whole G2 thing and hoping G3 brings back the G1 androgen figure.  Anyhoot it’s not up to DAZ3D but the content creators to determine what figure is supported based on their feeling of the surest and most lucrative return for their time invested on making these products. And its mostly female, mostly V4, mostly for Poser. Sigh! confused

My feeling is V4 won’t go away until such a time DAZ3D develops a 3D figure that works equally well in DAZ Studio as well as Poser as is, without the need of the DSON installer. And I don’t think that will happen until Poser recognises DAZ Studio files the same was DAZ Studio already recognises Poser files.That’s going to be a tough one. Sigh! confused

Signature 

Eternity’s my home, the Universe my backyard, my mind is a playground, so let’s make it all art. tongue laugh
My little gallery: http://lbamagic.deviantart.com

Posted: 31 May 2014 06:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 339 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  293
Joined  2012-12-15

I really don’t like things that divide the community further. The original I idea Poser had was that people could save and share and all kinds of things, poses etc and no one would have go around reinventing the wheel. But then it became all about money and selling content and what could be sold etc. Okay, how many mini skirts does it take to dress Lolita? Not like a vendor could use a perfectly good free mini-skirt to go with his top, BANNED FOR LIFE! I hope the Generation 6’s have a nice long run because there is so much in the product line up. Well, I went with the free and cheap programs. I think Daz was smart to want to build up suite of software and make the entry into this more reasonable. Separating the genitals also seems smart. They’ve done a lot of smart things. I like it here.

Posted: 31 May 2014 07:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 340 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  959
Joined  2006-06-12
GigaBeat - 31 May 2014 04:44 PM

V4 content is still strongly supported by content creators in other 3D stores (such as Renderosity and RuntimeDNA and Renderotica). I want more Genesis 1 content. I love mixing and matching clothes between males/females/creatures/toons. I’m skipping the whole G2 thing and hoping G3 brings back the G1 androgen figure.  Anyhoot it’s not up to DAZ3D but the content creators to determine what figure is supported based on their feeling of the surest and most lucrative return for their time invested on making these products. And its mostly female, mostly V4, mostly for Poser. Sigh! confused

My feeling is V4 won’t go away until such a time DAZ3D develops a 3D figure that works equally well in DAZ Studio as well as Poser as is, without the need of the DSON installer. And I don’t think that will happen until Poser recognises DAZ Studio files the same was DAZ Studio already recognises Poser files.That’s going to be a tough one. Sigh! confused

I’m glad V4 is still strongly supported. I would go ahead and look more seriously into G2 if and when it plays properly out the box with Carrara.

Signature 

There is a serious tendency toward capitalism among the well-to-do peasants.
Mao Tse-Tung

Posted: 31 May 2014 10:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 341 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2003-10-09

The 80% sale on Gen4 content the past couple days has been awesome :D

Posted: 01 June 2014 09:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 342 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2775
Joined  2010-11-30

It certainly appears from the outside that they aren’t willing to “ride the long tail” - they’re caught on the “new version treadmill.”

We don’t replace our appliances every two years. Most of us don’t buy new (not used) cars every year. We don’t replace all our furniture every eighteen months. We don’t move house every three years, unless we’re in the military or some other highly-mobile profession. But, for some reason, the rapid upgrade is the norm in the digital world. This thinking will change once the “Internet of Things” takes off (nobody’s going to risk “bricking” their fridge with a bad update), but for now we’re stuck with getting shiny bells and whistles on a regular basis whether we need them or not.

Signature 

Rob Kelk (a.k.a. “the guy with all those freebie lists”)

Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki - rather small at the moment, but with big dreams to be the one-stop list for all D|S and Poser freebies

Come take part in the Freebie Challenge!

Posted: 01 June 2014 09:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 343 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1248
Joined  2003-10-19

Well I can’t speak for other ppl… but I can speak for myself.

I am not producing the gen 4 stuff I was once upon a time, simply for one reason - a lack of support. My sales had started to lag… and this wasn’t decided over one or two products. I noticed a bit of a downward spiral. So I decided to seriously look at DAZ Studio and Genesis. What I found was: Half the time spent developing content, as it does much of the work on its own + a superior system with superior results + better sales = Its a no brainer, really.

The bottom line is, and Ive said it before…. if people want more content of a certain type, they need to support it. When they don’t, vendors (at least, the ones that are doing this full time as a job) look at sales fatigue very seriously… and start to consider other things that are going to bring in that money. Gen 4… just isn’t cutting it anymore. And this is why other brokerages and their vendors have started jumping on the bandwagon.

That said, I DO still support Gen 4 (as well as Poser wherever possible) I actually have a few packs in progress for V4. But my primary focus has shifted to Genesis.

As someone else said, innovation isn’t going to stop…. and it certainly doesn’t wait for ppl. You either have to climb on board and hold on, or get off at the next port. That’s just how it is.

Signature 

—- Don’t knock on death’s door… ring the doorbell and run (he HATES that)

| My Store on DAZ | D4IVI4G3 Iµ© | Facebook |

Need help with something of mine? Shoot me an email: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted: 01 June 2014 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 344 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  863
Joined  2005-11-06
robkelk - 01 June 2014 09:15 AM

It certainly appears from the outside that they aren’t willing to “ride the long tail” - they’re caught on the “new version treadmill.”

We don’t replace our appliances every two years. Most of us don’t buy new (not used) cars every year. We don’t replace all our furniture every eighteen months. We don’t move house every three years, unless we’re in the military or some other highly-mobile profession. But, for some reason, the rapid upgrade is the norm in the digital world. This thinking will change once the “Internet of Things” takes off (nobody’s going to risk “bricking” their fridge with a bad update), but for now we’re stuck with getting shiny bells and whistles on a regular basis whether we need them or not.

Some do. I have a friend that gets a new car every 2 years. I know people that replace furniture every few years. It’s a business and they are trying to stay innovative. there is nothing that says you have to use one figure over another.

I personally think NOW is the best time ever in 3D as far as available figures AND compatibility of content. I regularly use V4, Genesis 1 and GF2 as well as occasionally using M4, M3 and even Miki1/2, G2 kelvin and TY2. And I can use nearly all my clothing content on Genesis 1 and GF2, life is good in my runtimes.

Signature 

Regards, Michael

“Documentation? Who needs documentation, just open it and learn!”

My DeviantArt Gallery

My DAZ Gallery

Posted: 01 June 2014 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 345 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1609
Joined  2008-11-10

hmmm… nevermind wink

23 of 26