Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
Piece of advice (about animation books)
Posted: 08 July 2013 07:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  932
Joined  2006-06-12
chohole - 06 July 2013 12:56 PM

That book is one of, if not the best, book that has ever been written about Bryce. Susan Kitchens was involved with writing the original Bryce manuals when Bryce was still with MetaCreations. Real World Bryce 4 is much, much better than the original manuals in most Bryce users opinions, and many of us still have our original copies, and we recommend the book still for New Users, although it doesn’t cover anything added to Bryce since Br4, it does give a very good basis on which to learn Bryce, even now

I can’t believe it.
I have been thinking about learning Bryce (which would be nice since I have owned a copy since Bryce 2).
I went looking for the book, “Real World Bryce” and can you believe my cousin had absconded with my copy.
She was nice enough to leave me with my copy of R. Shamms Mortier’s book though.

Oh well, I’m too busy now anyway.

Signature 

There is a serious tendency toward capitalism among the well-to-do peasants.
Mao Tse-Tung

Posted: 09 July 2013 04:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15110
Joined  2003-10-09
tsarist - 08 July 2013 07:55 PM
chohole - 06 July 2013 12:56 PM

That book is one of, if not the best, book that has ever been written about Bryce. Susan Kitchens was involved with writing the original Bryce manuals when Bryce was still with MetaCreations. Real World Bryce 4 is much, much better than the original manuals in most Bryce users opinions, and many of us still have our original copies, and we recommend the book still for New Users, although it doesn’t cover anything added to Bryce since Br4, it does give a very good basis on which to learn Bryce, even now

I can’t believe it.
I have been thinking about learning Bryce (which would be nice since I have owned a copy since Bryce 2).
I went looking for the book, “Real World Bryce” and can you believe my cousin had absconded with my copy.
She was nice enough to leave me with my copy of R. Shamms Mortier’s book though.

Oh well, I’m too busy now anyway.

Well you could always sell the Shamm book for the same price that Pjotter paid for his copy of Real world Br 4 It may be over charging for it, but Caveat Emptor and all that.  smile

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        E Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        July Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 09 July 2013 07:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5903
Joined  2007-12-04

LOL!!!
Yeah, it drives me nuts to see how cheaply we can by good books these days. Reminds me when I bought Figures Characters and Avatars to get my first copy of Carrara Pro with a twenty dollar (USD) book purchase! At that time, we were still on version 7, but 8 beta was already started and free to anyone owning 7. So I bought the upgrade to 7 Pro and got 8 Pro for free, once that came out!
Anyways… the book is still a fun read, and well worth the twenty bucks. D&D books are like $50 or there about now.

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 09 July 2013 11:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1085
Joined  2010-11-30

I’ve got the C1 book and the C3 & C5 ones.

The C1 book covers a lot but I had to fix some stuff with regards to the sample files and some things have changed.  I got it cause it was very cheap.

The Carrara 3 Pro Book has sections in it that require a program called Amapi which was included with Carrara back then to do some of the lessons, and you are better off getting the C5 Pro version.  It did have some DCG tutorials that didn’t get reprinted in the 5 book that are still valid.  You could get this book for about $3 at one point.

The Carrara 5 Pro book is my favorite of the 3 and everything in it still applies to C8.

When I did the section for DCG in the plugins list on this forum or the information manual.  I mentioned in the FAQ what DCG plugin tutorials are in each book.

The Bryce 4 book that got mention does have some corrected files for the materials on the disk you can get from the Susan Kitchens home page.

The printing images chapter for it was going to be her home page and never was published.  It most likely would have just been a minor up dated version of that chapter from the Bryce 2 book she worked on.

The Digital Lighting book is the most recommended book that shows up on the forums for 3D work and is the single most used and referenced 3D book I own.

The Survival Kit book was one that got mentioned was one of the 3 books that 3D World recommended in an article in which they gave 3 books you want to have on your shelf.

Posted: 10 July 2013 04:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5903
Joined  2007-12-04

Jay,
That plugins FAQ that you made is amazing! Thanks a million again for making that! Fairly soon I am expecting to have three stonework jobs completed - so hopefully I can expend some revenue towards some reading material via Amazon - or wherever.
Carrara 5 Essential Training, a video lesson series at Lynda.com, is taught by Jack Whitney, whom helped write both Carrara 3 Pro and Carrara 5 Pro books - and is very knowledgeable about the whole of Carrara. It’s fun to see the “What’s new?” from those periods, too! Our wonderful authoring suite sure has grown over the years, hasn’t it?

Thanks again to everybody contributing titles in here. This will be most useful when I get the chance to expand my library.
When I get home, I’ll have to pull out my digital animation bible so I can reference it’s title and author here as well - it taught me how to model the human figure - and it has instructions for both box modeling (extrusion - this is how I model) and spline modeling side by side - which is incredibly useful for the Carrara artist, having both to choose from.

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

2 of 2