Digital Art Zone

2 of 15
BRYCE RENDER CHALLENGE   ♦♦♦♦♦.SUMMER EDITION ♦♦♦♦♦  “Beatiing the Heat”  ~~~~~  WIP THREAD
Posted: 07 July 2013 07:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1334
Joined  2006-08-19
TheSavage64 - 07 July 2013 06:18 PM

Here’s my initial idea for this month’s theme.

The background is a 360° photo just mapped onto a cylinder (to aid the reflections as well as to provide the background) as opposed to an HDRI dome. The lighting comes from the Bryce sun and Beverly Hill HDRI. The stuff on the table are Brycified (materials changed to Bryce procedural mats) and slightly modified freebie models from the internet. The only post work (apart from changing the finished HDR from 32 bit to 8 bit)  is adding the advert headline and my signature. Rendered at 16RPP with MRD at 6 and TIR at 6 (to help with the glass). TA with scattering correction and soft shadows. Total render time a touch less than 3 hours.

I love it

Signature 

http://rarethdigitalmusings.blogspot.com/

http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/users/35801

Posted: 08 July 2013 03:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2767
Joined  2007-05-05

Savage; Amazing!! I think you have a winner here

Signature 

Please remember my comprehension level is not the same as a rocket scientist…
Bryce7Pro-Addict…............Darkside-oholic…......Carrara-wannabee
http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/users/269      http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/28462/

Posted: 08 July 2013 08:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  931
Joined  2003-10-09
TheSavage64 - 07 July 2013 06:18 PM

Here’s my initial idea for this month’s theme.

The background is a 360° photo just mapped onto a cylinder (to aid the reflections as well as to provide the background) as opposed to an HDRI dome. The lighting comes from the Bryce sun and Beverly Hill HDRI. The stuff on the table are Brycified (materials changed to Bryce procedural mats) and slightly modified freebie models from the internet. The only post work (apart from changing the finished HDR from 32 bit to 8 bit)  is adding the advert headline and my signature. Rendered at 16RPP with MRD at 6 and TIR at 6 (to help with the glass). TA with scattering correction and soft shadows. Total render time a touch less than 3 hours.

One minor critique, the color of the Jack Daniels in the bottle seems a bit greenish to me. What’s in the glass seems okay but a bit light but that could just be from melted ice or something it’s mixed with. All in all though Jack Daniels should be a bit more amber in color (see attachment). Other then that though great picture, I feel cooler already. smile

Image Attachments
jackdaniels-main_Full.jpg

Posted: 08 July 2013 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1778
Joined  2007-12-10
LordHardDriven - 08 July 2013 08:10 AM

One minor critique, the color of the Jack Daniels in the bottle seems a bit greenish to me.

Yes, I agree… I think that the blue sky behind the bottle has made it go greenish… I’ll compensate for that and re-render it next chance I get.
I also think that the table could do with some more stuff on it but I don’t know what yet… Initially I thought about a pair of sunglasses.

Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 08 July 2013 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10

Well I’ve altered the colour of the bottle now… A have also used the same amended material in the poured drink for consistency.
I also took some of the yellow colour out of the background to make the feature foreground stand out a bit more.

Image Attachments
IcedDrink2.jpg
 Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 08 July 2013 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  17085
Joined  2003-10-09

Now that JD does look drinkable now.  smile

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 09 July 2013 01:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  879
Joined  2008-11-26

I may have missed something Dave,—why are the shadows on the table in one direction and the palm trees in the opposite direction.

Posted: 09 July 2013 05:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10

No you haven’t missed much mermaid… It’s because I couldn’t get the person who took the photo I’ve used as a background to retake it when the sun was in the right direction to exactly match the ideal lighting setup for my foreground. [insert cheeky grin emoticon]...

But between other things I’m on with at the moment, I am also trying to alter the lighting to try and find a setup where the light matches better. In the photo, the sun is actually directly overhead, the shadows looking like they’re coming at the camera is down to the trees leaning slightly.

I think the solution may be to set up a radial light in roughly the same position as where the sun would be in the photograph background and set its influence to only affect the table top. Then it’s light will reduce the shadows behind my objects to virtually nothing and introduce shadows in the correct place to match the background, and all without it affecting the lighting which is at present lighting up the actual objects… I hope.

Of course adding a radial light will also increase the render time considerably so it may take a while to get around to that part.

Signature 

Posted: 09 July 2013 05:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  17085
Joined  2003-10-09

I may be stupid, but could you just copy the background in a paint program and reverse it,so the shadows go the same way.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 09 July 2013 08:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  931
Joined  2003-10-09
TheSavage64 - 08 July 2013 02:08 PM

Well I’ve altered the colour of the bottle now… A have also used the same amended material in the poured drink for consistency.
I also took some of the yellow colour out of the background to make the feature foreground stand out a bit more.

Much better although now with the color on the JD improved the kind of washed out appearance of the lemon slice seems more noticeable.

Posted: 09 July 2013 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10
chohole - 09 July 2013 05:34 AM

I may be stupid, but could you just copy the background in a paint program and reverse it,so the shadows go the same way.

You can make them go left to right doing it that way but not front to back.

Signature 

Posted: 09 July 2013 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10
LordHardDriven - 09 July 2013 08:06 AM

Much better although now with the color on the JD improved the kind of washed out appearance of the lemon slice seems more noticeable.

Hopefully that’ll get sorted out when I do the final tweaks to the lighting.
The problem is that a lemon slice is semi transparent in the segments and I’m using a short cut of just applying a photo to a 2D disc so can’t get the absolute correct effect. Again it may be that I have to apply a yellow light just to the slice to try and saturate it’s colour more.

Signature 

Posted: 09 July 2013 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1784
Joined  2011-09-25

@Dave:  Brilliant image.  Though the last time I tasted JD it reminded me of the warning label on paint thinner cans.

Signature 

If you constantly look backward, it’s guaranteed you’ll run into something on your forward journey.
My Gallery Page: GussNemo’s Efforts

Posted: 09 July 2013 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2010-02-18

Okay, was able to change the sky…simply by creating a huge, flat-faced mirror to hide all the grey clouds (from the horizon upwards). Tilting the mirror forward by ~ 30 degrees, it now is reflecting the aquamarine colour of the water (some transparency applied to the mirror to leave some grey sky come through).

Added in some islands, too, for extra depth, and, finally, softened the shadows. Mirror reflections etc., caused the render time to up several times the previous. In the end, work looks better, I think, and it’s got a more balmy, Caribbean look to it.

Yeah...Jack Daniels really is a gorgeous whisky…and packs a punch, too. But damn, it’s dear ~ Euro 28.00 over here (about Dollars 36.00).

Jay

Image Attachments
summerbreeze2.jpg

Posted: 09 July 2013 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10
GussNemo - 09 July 2013 01:55 PM

@Dave:  Brilliant image.  Though the last time I tasted JD it reminded me of the warning label on paint thinner cans.

I’ve never tasted it… I’ve been teetotal all of my adult life. :-D

Signature 

2 of 15