Digital Art Zone

4 of 4
My Battlestar Project
Posted: 10 July 2013 06:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  485
Joined  2007-10-01

I might be doing something wrong with alpha maps. When I add an alpha map to my shader I get a hole that you can see thru. What I do in this case is that I make a copy of the object with the base color I want and place it underneath the object with the alpha map.

I have included an image to help convey much better what I am trying to explain. The white objects at the top of the image are what I am applying my shaders with textures to. The bottom ones are the objects with the shaders+textures applied. As you can see, the black background. These are the guide lines for the runway, what I want to see is the color of the runway to show up, not a hole you see thru.

I am not sure now, but am I understanding the work the alpha map is suppose to be doing?

I am definitely confused.

This is part of what I have to do to make the Battlestars Carrara compatible.

Image Attachments
AlphaMaps.png
 Signature 

3D Celebrity Lookalikes

Posted: 10 July 2013 11:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1828
Joined  2004-08-24

Hi nDelphi

Alpha channel, is also referred to as Trans-mapping. or transparency maps,..
the Black areas of an image will become transparent when it’s placed in the alpha channel of a shader.

Alpha maps are normally Black and White,. but they can also be grey-scale,. to give the effect of different amounts of transparency.
absolute Black, is transparent,. and absolute white is solid.

Alpha maps are used in almost everything, ... a figures eyes, clothing, hair, leaves, and particle effects. 

In carrara,. many shaders which use an alpha map, can be replaced by using Carrara’s transparency channel, instead of the alpha transparency.
the V4 Eye surface shader is a good example,. where setting this up to be transparent, with the Refraction of Water, and a wee bit of reflection, can create a better surface shader, than the existing DS / poser, shader combination of maps and colours.
it sems like you’re trying to add the runway stripes (details) to the runway surface,. . Alpha’s create transparency,. or a hole. but the same black and white image can be used as a blend,..

You can create a Mixer shader,. which can take your surface texture map, like tarmac,. and will Mix that texture, with another texture map, or shader. and blend them together with a black and white image, like an alpha map, or distribution map,. or a grey-scale image like a bump map, or displacement map.

Another option would be to use a multilayer mixer,. where you can mix together two completely different shaders, with different bump, shininess etc,. again, blended together with an B/W image or shader.

The same process applies,. the B/W image can be used as a blend instead of a mask.

hope it helps smile

Posted: 10 July 2013 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-10-01
3DAGE - 10 July 2013 11:18 AM

the Black areas of an image will become transparent when it’s placed in the alpha channel of a shader.

After reading your explanation I understood that the modeler has to be doing something similar with the shaders in Lightwave, that would explain why he doesn’t need to place anything beneath the objects to plug the holes.

I, on the hand, am not so savvy, so I went with the simpler fix. I had to edit the alpha maps as well to make it work for Carrara. I now have to go back and do the same for the Battlestar I rendered and I showed here in the first post.

This is the fixed section, this is for the Hyades, the one with the double, stacked pod:

Image Attachments
AlphaMapsFixed.png
 Signature 

3D Celebrity Lookalikes

Posted: 15 July 2013 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-10-01

For those who wanted to see some renders, here are a few. The planet is Venus. I followed a tutorial to create it. I added clouds to the planet.

The Battlestar is Hyades, a non-canonical, fan created design by tan.j.

The amazing stuff I can do with Carrara is awesome. Sorry DAZ Studio, but Carrara is where I should have focused my attention most all these years. Oh well, live and learn. LOL!

Image Attachments
Hyades_Venus_Orbit_01.pngHyades_Venus_Orbit_03.pngHyades_Venus_Orbit.png
 Signature 

3D Celebrity Lookalikes

Posted: 15 July 2013 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6151
Joined  2007-12-04

Wow… Bravo!

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 15 July 2013 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5410
Joined  2006-08-27

Great start! Hell, if I worried about “Canon” Vs. “Non-Canon,” when doing a render of something like a Star Trek ship or a Star Wars ship, I;‘d never get anything rendered.

I should try and fine the space thread I started and revive it. There was some good stuff in there.

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 15 July 2013 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-10-01

Thanks! I posted another render on the “Post Your Renders - #5” thread.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/20965/P330/#378776

It’s the Hyades from behind as it cruises around Venus, you get to see the engines’ exhausts from behind giving it a sense of action. My best render of this series.

Signature 

3D Celebrity Lookalikes

Posted: 15 July 2013 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6151
Joined  2007-12-04
nDelphi - 15 July 2013 02:22 PM

My best render of this series.

From a certain point of view, perhaps. It is an excellent render. I saw that one first. But I like these as well. These would make for an excellent animation.
Back on that subject - timing wise… I just remembered a trick that I use a lot:
When setting motions, I’ll often ignore where I have my scene render range in the timeline and go off into the future with the scrubber - and then move the ship. If I find that I want to catch the entire motion with one camera - then I can change the length of the render. Otherwise - save as is - then set up a camera to catch the first second to three seconds. Save with a suffix: “01a” or something. Move the scene range to begin half way through the sequence I just saved and end somewhere further down the line and set up another camera using an entirely different angle - one that will help to sell the drama of the ships movement. Save with a suffix: “02a” - where the ‘a’ part can change if tweaks are necessary due to seeing the end result - which can happen a lot in animation clips. Be patient - and make lots and lots of clips. And then make more.

Right track = you, my friend! (attempting a Yoda Voice - but I totally suck at it!)

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 15 July 2013 05:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  631
Joined  2010-09-22
nDelphi - 10 July 2013 04:05 PM
3DAGE - 10 July 2013 11:18 AM

After reading your explanation I understood that the modeler has to be doing something similar with the shaders in Lightwave, that would explain why he doesn’t need to place anything beneath the objects to plug the holes.

I, on the hand, am not so savvy, so I went with the simpler fix. I had to edit the alpha maps as well to make it work for Carrara. I now have to go back and do the same for the Battlestar I rendered and I showed here in the first post.

This is the fixed section, this is for the Hyades, the one with the double, stacked pod:

Dirty it up~

Posted: 15 July 2013 06:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-10-01
RichardChaos - 15 July 2013 05:38 PM

Dirty it up~

I’ve been thinking about that for awhile now. To dirty up even the ship’s hulls a bit, too. Is there an easy way to do that with the shaders? Besides just dirtying-up the textures?

Signature 

3D Celebrity Lookalikes

Posted: 15 July 2013 08:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5410
Joined  2006-08-27
nDelphi - 15 July 2013 06:39 PM

I’ve been thinking about that for awhile now. To dirty up even the ship’s hulls a bit, too. Is there an easy way to do that with the shaders? Besides just dirtying-up the textures?

There are all sorts of fun Carrara functions for that. If, for some reason you bump up against a wall and can’t do something, there are also numerous pluggins.

The dam in both images below uses no image maps. They are all Carrara procedural shader functions. The water spilling over the dam is a separate object and does use an image map for the foam streaks.

Edit: The leaves on the trees and the water plants are also,procedural, as are the rocks on the embankment. The cattails use Carrara’s dynamic hair for the velvety look.

Image Attachments
Fantasy_terrainQueen.jpgFantasy_village2.jpg
 Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

4 of 4

[ Hello      Textures ]