Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
Shader trouble
Posted: 01 July 2013 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2007-06-21

I’m using hexagon to model then opening the model in carrara. going into the vertex modeler to make shader locations. then adding shaders to the locations, But the shaders that i add some have patterns such as tiles or squares. but when i add them to the model they wont show up, even after i render the model only shows the color and none of the patterns. is there something that i missed? is there a way to fix this?

Posted: 01 July 2013 02:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  648
Joined  2006-09-30

Assuming those patterns are image based, and not procedural, is the model UV Mapped?

Signature 

MOO!

Posted: 01 July 2013 04:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2007-06-21

No its not UV mapped.

Posted: 01 July 2013 05:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-09-30

If those patterns are image based, it has to be.

If not…  maybe reversed normals?

Signature 

MOO!

Posted: 01 July 2013 05:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2007-06-21

The patterns that I’m attempting to use are the standard ones in the list on the shaders. also if i try any kind of texture map or mapping it only shows as black after the render and before.

Posted: 01 July 2013 06:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6469
Joined  2007-12-04

Would certainly need some details before trying to help with this - very broad statements there. Perhaps some screen shots of your shader settings?

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 01 July 2013 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-09-30

Are you using the beta?

Sounds like mip-mapping from 8.5 trying to be opened in 8.1.

Only time I ever saw things render black.

Check the “Sampling” in the shader too.

Signature 

MOO!

Posted: 01 July 2013 06:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2007-06-21

one picture is the render and the other is the shader

Image Attachments
render.jpgshader.jpg

Posted: 01 July 2013 07:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6100
Joined  2006-08-27

Maybe a screen shot of the underlying mesh would help? Also maybe the UV map?

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 01 July 2013 08:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2007-06-21

There isn’t a UV map. i just opened the file in carrara and am trying to use the shaders. Do i need to lay in a UV map before attempting this?

Posted: 01 July 2013 09:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8436
Joined  2009-07-13

quick simple mapping just to get everything textured

Image Attachments
no_uv.jpgplanar.jpgsdomains.jpgtexture.jpg
 Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 01 July 2013 09:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8436
Joined  2009-07-13

a better example
the vertices I select and where they appaer in map
if you select all of one side of house and create a new shading domain you can fit a texture to it
or move vertices to fit a texture

Image Attachments
better_example.jpgbetter_example.jpg
 Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 02 July 2013 08:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2007-06-21

i did whats in the bottom picture to make different shader domains but the patterns applyed are not showing up.

Posted: 02 July 2013 08:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2007-06-21

using the UV mapping i was able to add a normal map that worked great. Thanks

Posted: 02 July 2013 08:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1825
Joined  2004-08-24

HI Runman

Selecting polygons and defining shading domains is only one step of the process,.

Shading domains tell the program which part of your model get applied with the shaders you’ve made (you’ll normally need to create shaders after you’ve defined the “shading domain” area’s, and then apply your new shaders to those parts,. before you can actually see the textures on the model.

You need to tell the program “How” to “project” the 2D images (from your shaders or texture maps) onto the 3D surface of the model.
that’s called UV Mapping,. and all object need to have some form of basic UV, to allow textures to be applied correctly.

You select, define, or change the UV Mapping, for the entire the model, or individual shading domains. in the Vertex Modeller.

for example : Box UV mapping,. will project the texture map from the top, left, right, front, back, and bottom of the object so that the 2D texture is applied to all parts of the 3D mesh.

UV Unwrapping, or pelf mapping uses a process where you define a seam, (or several seams and pins) like a tailor cutting seams on a cloth pattern,. and the program flattens the 3D model out,. into a 2D UV grid area,. where you can then choose to export that layout as a texturing template (black and white wire-frame)

The shader you’ve posted,.. (the “bricks” shader) is a “procedural” shader,. rather than an image of bricks,. this allows you to change the values of the procedural shader, to create different sizes or quantities of the brick pattern.

at the moment,. it’ll be white bricks with black mortar,. but you can create a better effect by using the Bricks pattern as the Blender for two different colours in a mixer shader. (pic)

Procedural shaders also use the objects UV mapping,. but you can also bypass that, and use a basic “forced” mapping from within the shaders.

here’s some pages which may help you,...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7907045/Carrara_first_steps.zip

hope it helps smile

Image Attachments
basic_bricks.jpg

Posted: 04 July 2013 08:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2007-06-21

I followed what you did but in this picture the vertex object only retains part of the shader were as the cube retained the entire shader. is there a way to make the vertex object retain all of the shader as well?

Image Attachments
difference.jpg

1 of 2