4 of 8
Why isn’t carrara selling?
Posted: 06 July 2013 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1156
Joined  2004-11-07
Dartanbeck - 06 July 2013 09:08 AM

I wasn’t talking about a discussion in a forum about it. I was referring to an illustration. Never mind Stan. I’ll excuse myself from this bull…

I think you are forgetting who’s job it is around here to be grumpy.

I’m not sure how they would work it in to the sales pitch, but they would have to have the Hex bridge and Bryce{?} bridge as well. It would have to show how all the apps wok together.

Posted: 09 July 2013 03:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1165
Joined  2007-10-17

Aside from the fact that it is on the front page of the store, it is listed under Software when you hover over shop, it is listed as one of your filters in the left pane for Content, and if you hit the products button on the front page you get a choice of content and Software right across the top, what is the second piece of software listed? Now on that page for Free Software there are three tabs, Scene and image Creation / Animation / Modeling. Funny I see Carrara listed prominently on a page that got me there with the term “Free Software.”

Please note that the number 3 search term used in the store search is Animation. Hmm, I wonder what you get when you search that? smile

Of course everyone posting in this thread is not a new user or a new customer. I am guessing most of you just go straight to the new items page. smile All of you already know we sell Carrara. smile

Now do a Google search for 3D Applications or 3D Graphics. After all you have to get here somehow, how often does DAZ3D in general and Carrara specifically come up? How many of those links lead here? Wikipedia, 3d Applications or 3D Graphics? Any sign of DAZ3D or Carrara?

Posted: 09 July 2013 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6026
Joined  2006-08-27
DAZ_Spooky - 09 July 2013 03:37 PM

Aside from the fact that it is on the front page of the store, it is listed under Software when you hover over shop, it is listed as one of your filters in the left pane for Content, and if you hit the products button on the front page you get a choice of content and Software right across the top, what is the second piece of software listed? Now on that page for Free Software there are three tabs, Scene and image Creation / Animation / Modeling. Funny I see Carrara listed prominently on a page that got me there with the term “Free Software.”

Please note that the number 3 search term used in the store search is Animation. Hmm, I wonder what you get when you search that? smile

Of course everyone posting in this thread is not a new user or a new customer. I am guessing most of you just go straight to the new items page. smile All of you already know we sell Carrara. smile

Now do a Google search for 3D Applications or 3D Graphics. After all you have to get here somehow, how often does DAZ3D in general and Carrara specifically come up? How many of those links lead here? Wikipedia, 3d Applications or 3D Graphics? Any sign of DAZ3D or Carrara?

Thanks Spooky.

I had intentionally not posted to the beat the dead horse thread until now.

FUD means fear, uncertainty and doubt. It was a pretty common phenomenon during Apple’s dark days. It serves no constructive purpose. It is more often than not, based on rumors and idle speculation. All it does is make people wring their hands and moan in futility. As an added bonus, it turns potential customers off, thus becoming a self fulfilling prophecy.

There is a legitimate need to discuss things that could be deemed negative to Carrara, such as a lack of a certain feature or a bug with the software. However, the most productive threads discussing negative issues seem to be the ones that target specific issues and stay relatively on target. These, “OMG! insert Issue of the week here,” threads, seem to serve no purpose except to get panties in a wad.

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 09 July 2013 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1156
Joined  2004-11-07

Please see page 2 for my suggested change to the home page. All I’m asking if for carrara to be put on even ground with studio. Is that asking too much?

I posted this because I got real frustrated trying to find a link to the C8 trial, from the forum.

Posted: 09 July 2013 05:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1399
Joined  2011-01-03

Bravo Spooky!

I actually “found” Carrara through a banner ad for Digital Carver’s Guild. I clicked through, noted that this cool stuff were plugins and went looking for the program. When I was confused about D|S versus Cararra, I opened a help desk ticket to clarify the two pieces of software. When I learned that Carrara was the flagship product, that’s what I bought.

That said, I don’t think DAZ truly treats Carrara as such. Consider Microsoft Access and SQL Server. Access is your “toy” database and SQL Server is the flagship. Yes, Access works for tiny projects…but real data work is done with SQL Server. It looks to me like D|S gets primacy over all else.

That’s a business choice. I’ve come to accept it. It won’t make me stop using Carrara though.

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

My 3D art Flickr page for final or near-final images
My 3D art Flickr page for work-in-progress or experiments

Posted: 10 July 2013 08:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-17
ManStan - 09 July 2013 05:30 PM

Please see page 2 for my suggested change to the home page. All I’m asking if for carrara to be put on even ground with studio. Is that asking too much?

I posted this because I got real frustrated trying to find a link to the C8 trial, from the forum.

So you posted, not because you couldn’t find one of the many links to Carrara, but because you couldn’t find the trial? And typing Carrara in the search, produced almost two pages of Carrara specific content before you got to Carrara?
Doesn’t that show that DAZ3D does indeed sell and support Carrara, instead of giving away a trial? Remember you are looking here, but you already know about Carrara. Now in a google search for a Carrara 8 trial, the CNet link is right there at the top.

As for your Marketing idea? Sure, if DAZ3D’s primary marketing strategy and sales was indeed Carrara, something like that might make sense, however software is not the primary money maker at DAZ3D, Content is. Yes, Carrara sells and yes, Carrara makes money, however Carrara is not the primary source of revenue. The last two companies that had Carrara as their primary money maker, financially failed.

Posted: 10 July 2013 08:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-17
Garstor - 09 July 2013 05:44 PM

Bravo Spooky!

I actually “found” Carrara through a banner ad for Digital Carver’s Guild. I clicked through, noted that this cool stuff were plugins and went looking for the program. When I was confused about D|S versus Cararra, I opened a help desk ticket to clarify the two pieces of software. When I learned that Carrara was the flagship product, that’s what I bought.

That said, I don’t think DAZ truly treats Carrara as such. Consider Microsoft Access and SQL Server. Access is your “toy” database and SQL Server is the flagship. Yes, Access works for tiny projects…but real data work is done with SQL Server. It looks to me like D|S gets primacy over all else.

That’s a business choice. I’ve come to accept it. It won’t make me stop using Carrara though.

Difference is Microsoft sells Operating Systems as its primary source of income and applications as a secondary source of income.  So yes they are going to push their higher end software harder than their cheaper lower end software, however they push Windows significantly harder than anything else. 

Now consider this, DAZ3D’s primary source of revenue is Content. So Content sales are going to get more push. Things that cause content sales are going to get more push. DAZ Studio being free, is a driver for Content Sales, Carrara is the only software we didn’t give away and features prominently right behind content sales.

Posted: 10 July 2013 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1010
Joined  2007-06-13
JoeMamma2000 - 03 July 2013 08:37 PM

Next time you go into a large department store in the mall, enter the store thru the main entrance, or the entrance that has the most foot traffic. You’ll probably notice a very common phenomenon: you’re probably gonna walk thru the women’s clothing department.

Why? Because most customers of large department stores (and just about every other store) are women. They spend the money, so the stores cater to them. So the department stores know that, and they make it very easy for the women customers to find what they want. Quickly and easily.

I’m going to comment on this and at first I thought it was going to be off topic, but I realize it does turn around and relate to Stan’s point. Stores do not put the women’s clothing in the high traffic area to make it “quick and easy” for the women to find what they want. Well they do, but that is not the only reason. They put it there hoping that the women find something they didn’t know they needed. They want the woman who went in to buy herself a pair of trousers to also find a top to go with it. The want the women who knows she needs to go up the escalator and to the back of store to buy a new dress shirt for her husband, to see something she can get for herself while she is in the store.

Which does go back to the original point, if I didn’t know Carrara existed, if I didn’t know it was sold here, I still wouldn’t know after seeing the home page.

[Disclaimer-broad generalizations based on my own shopping experience. No offense intended to women, department stores, or anyone in marketing. Your mileage may vary.]

Signature 

Previous post count 1700.
My Store

Posted: 10 July 2013 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  17027
Joined  2003-10-09
DestinysGarden - 10 July 2013 10:07 AM
JoeMamma2000 - 03 July 2013 08:37 PM

Next time you go into a large department store in the mall, enter the store thru the main entrance, or the entrance that has the most foot traffic. You’ll probably notice a very common phenomenon: you’re probably gonna walk thru the women’s clothing department.

Why? Because most customers of large department stores (and just about every other store) are women. They spend the money, so the stores cater to them. So the department stores know that, and they make it very easy for the women customers to find what they want. Quickly and easily.

I’m going to comment on this and at first I thought it was going to be off topic, but I realize it does turn around and relate to Stan’s point. Stores do not put the women’s clothing in the high traffic area to make it “quick and easy” for the women to find what they want. Well they do, but that is not the only reason. They put it there hoping that the women find something they didn’t know they needed. They want the woman who went in to buy herself a pair of trousers to also find a top to go with it. The want the women who knows she needs to go up the escalator and to the back of store to buy a new dress shirt for her husband, to see something she can get for herself while she is in the store.

Which does go back to the original point, if I didn’t know Carrara existed, if I didn’t know it was sold here, I still wouldn’t know after seeing the home page.

[Disclaimer-broad generalizations based on my own shopping experience. No offense intended to women, department stores, or anyone in marketing. Your mileage may vary.]

Home page Scrolled down a bit.  I can see Carrara, it’s between Bryce and Hexagon. OK, we both rate an “Also by” but it is there.

Image Attachments
Home_page.jpg
 Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 10 July 2013 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  353
Joined  2007-07-31

The Problem with this as I see it is that the Home page appears to be dedicated Daz Studio - Even when you scroll down first thing is an"encouragement” to downlaod the product and check out tutorials.

Compare this with Auto desk which also has a number of products.

Home page tells people what the company is about with “clear” links to their options - “Products” being one of them.
No one is going to skate past Maya - for example because it is clearly listed with all other products.

But wait !  Daz Home Page does have a a “Products ” Tab but guess what ? It leads you to a big “Studio” promo page!! Yes there is a link to Carrara at the bottom but it doesn’t look important and you have to scroll down to see it anyway.

so WHY, as the original post said, isn’t Daz SELLING Carrara ?

Part of selling is support - potential buyers want to know how they will be treated after they invest in new software.

Maybe I leave it to others to tell what they think is lacking but for starters.

No updated manual for at least two years.
Very little feedback on development.
No effort to provide tutorials (Daz Studio gets all the cream)
No effort to stimulate interest - It was the users who started the competition.

Signature 

http://bond3d.wix.com/carrarators#!home/mainPage

Posted: 10 July 2013 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1010
Joined  2007-06-13
chohole - 10 July 2013 10:34 AM

Home page Scrolled down a bit.  I can see Carrara, it’s between Bryce and Hexagon. OK, we both rate an “Also by” but it is there.

Yeah, it is there. It is just super easy to scroll right on past that little line of grey on blue text and have your eye go straight from the picture of the creepy monster with the warrior chick in small armor, right to the picture of the pretty red head with the cool rim lighting.
Just sayin’

Signature 

Previous post count 1700.
My Store

Posted: 10 July 2013 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6469
Joined  2007-12-04

But can you render warrior babes using either Carrara or Bryce or Hexagon? Or just Daz Studio? - ‘cause I really wanna render warrior babes!

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 10 July 2013 07:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4926
Joined  2004-07-01
Dartanbeck - 10 July 2013 04:52 PM

But can you render warrior babes using either Carrara or Bryce or Hexagon? Or just Daz Studio? - ‘cause I really wanna render warrior babes!

yep all but Hex !

Posted: 11 July 2013 03:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  17027
Joined  2003-10-09
Dartanbeck - 10 July 2013 04:52 PM

Like this.  A Bryce image of course, so won’t spam this forum with it,  just a link
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/media/folder_239/file_2384955.jpg

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 12 July 2013 04:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2006-09-11

Here’s a question regarding Carrara and it’s future sales viability: As a user of both Carrara 8.5 Pro and DAZ Studio 4.6 Pro it appears that all programming focus has been placed into DAZ studio as opposed to Daz3D’s “flagship” Carrara. So much so that not only am I finding myself increasingly using DAZ Studio (via Luxrender), I was forced to move over to e-on’s Vue 11 because Carrara is simply falling behind the competition. I would argue that at least Carrara has a modeler, but with my acquisition of 3D-Coat and Pixlogic’s Zbrush, I have lost that argument too.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I loved Carrara for years, and would always recommend it as the software to use; however, I feel lately like it is falling more and more into the shadows of the archaic abyss. I do hope you guys have something up your sleeves to regenerate it before it becomes just another memory - Or perhaps with your driven focus on Daz Studio (which should be commended), you no longer care.

I just wanted to add as a final note: Just compare the look of the content library between Daz Studio and Carrara. Daz Studio is in a separate window that can be detached and moved to another screen in all it’s large and glorious color - For Carrara’s I need a magnifying glass and a robust mouse wheel for all the required scrolling.

4 of 8