Digital Art Zone

1 of 8
Why isn’t carrara selling?
Posted: 01 July 2013 07:32 AM   [ Ignore ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1231
Joined  2004-11-07

Ya I expect this one to go the way of the dodo but I got A bit worked up trying to find a link to a C8.1 trial; I couldn’t manage it.

There is no link or mention of Carrara on the front page. OK, I can live with that, not good but not too bad. I click on software and resources and no carrara; no bryce no hexagon. I’m sure I am being thick but I couldn’t find a link on the front page to anything but Studio and studio content.

So I thought ok I’ll make this simple and just do a search for carrara. What did I get? Not carrara. Carrara was actually on page 2 of a search for carrara.

So I ask again and just to make it perfectly clear have this dripping with sarcasm as you read it. Why isn’t carrara selling?

Image Attachments
p1.jpgp1b.jpg

Posted: 01 July 2013 07:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15922
Joined  2003-10-09

http://www.daz3d.com/products

Then click the link

http://www.daz3d.com/carrara-8-pro/

Image Attachments
buy_carrara.jpg
 Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        September Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 01 July 2013 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  111
Joined  0

Well, I didn’t have too much trouble finding Carrara from the Daz main page…...scroll down to the bottom.

Worth mentioning:

The showcase is Daz Studio…...Carrara, bryce etc….seem to be the ugly stepchildren.

There aren’t screenshots or gallery links that pop out in a potential customers face. If I did not know the program, I would really like to see screenshots of the interface, modeling, trees, terrain etc… as well as see a gallery that shows all of the neat “stuff” the program can do…....not just a list of the improvements and issues with mac.

Just my 2-cents. wink

Posted: 01 July 2013 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-07

My point wasn’t for a mod to post links, the point is going to the first page of the DAZ store you would think some one else is selling carrara, because there certainly isn’t any evidence DAZ does.

Even on the home splash screen for DAZ you have to scroll down to see DAZ sells more then content for Studio. And those are just off handed gray links at the bottom the the splash screen.

How on earth do you expect to sell carrara if you don’t put it right up in peoples faces like DAZ Studio or DAZ content?

After all isn’t this DAZ Carrara now?

Posted: 01 July 2013 09:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15922
Joined  2003-10-09

Well at least Carrara is in bigger writing than Bryce in the shot I showed, even if Bryce does come first in the line up showing other software.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        September Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 01 July 2013 09:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-07
chohole - 01 July 2013 09:02 AM

Well at least Carrara is in bigger writing than Bryce in the shot I showed, even if Bryce does come first in the line up showing other software.

Agree. For the longest time Bryce was the app most others tried to duplicate. Bryce is the only CG app my spell checker is aware of wink
Hex is in that adrift boat too. It may be lagging way behind the rest of the pack, but is still a strong runner.

While Daddy DAZ sets in the dinning room with it’s periodical son Studio, the rest of us eat in the kitchen.

Posted: 01 July 2013 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  503
Joined  2003-10-09

It is on the DAZ Home Page and it’s on the DAZ Products page. The one you are featuring in this thread is the new releases page of the Store.

On the home page, it’s under DAZ Studio 4.6 as Also by DAZ 3D… and it links to this page:

http://www.daz3d.com/products/carrara/carrara-what-is-carrara/

Posted: 01 July 2013 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  349
Joined  2006-02-03

Being a product under a company name often makes for less than desirable branding marketing results.

If one didn’t know that Pixologic makes Zbrush,  what good is it to promote Pixologic brand name if the main product is Zbrush?

Same, in my opinion that Carrara is sold by DAZ3D, but I imagine that there are many people who don’t know who sells the software license for Carrara are the DAZ3D company.

So, even though promoting the brand name DAZ3D, who will know what their other products are if they are not promoted as a brand name, up front and center stage?

Posted: 01 July 2013 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  246
Joined  2006-04-26
Design Acrobat - 01 July 2013 12:07 PM

So, even though promoting the brand name DAZ3D, who will know what their other products are if they are not promoted as a brand name, up front and center stage?

I believe all the ads I recall seeing for Daz on other sites have images of figures. I don’t recall seeing anything that shows they sell 3d modeling software. To be fair, it might be worth looking around to see if Carrara, Hexagon and Bryce are getting “face” time.

It could be that the sites that are posting a Daz link are just omitting the other offerings. Maybe its as simple as changing a link icon or tag line to include the other software?

Posted: 01 July 2013 03:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-07

Bob never could figure out why Ted, Harry, and Tommy were mad at him all the time.

Image Attachments
bob.jpg

Posted: 01 July 2013 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  246
Joined  2006-04-26
ManStan - 01 July 2013 03:19 PM

Bob never could figure out why Ted, Harry, and Tommy were mad at him all the time.

Is that a new release? smile

You are a funny guy Stan.

Posted: 01 July 2013 04:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  349
Joined  2006-02-03
ManStan - 01 July 2013 03:19 PM

heh heh

Posted: 01 July 2013 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7652
Joined  2009-07-13

it needs an unflatable pony included
(or a Moolenium cow)

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 01 July 2013 06:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6151
Joined  2007-12-04

I thought DAZ wanted to keep it for a while yet. I bet it’s not selling because DAZ won’t sell it. I wouldn’t.

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 01 July 2013 06:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7652
Joined  2009-07-13

Google on my Android thinks I live in Carrara Qld
(obviously based on my search history!)

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 01 July 2013 07:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  335
Joined  2007-07-31

As I was saying recently in a thread Carrara is never mentioned in the “compatible with” when it it is ie poser format.

Daz just does’nt seem to get it - Carrara is a stand alone product worthy of it’s own website and promotion. Maybe they just dont realise what a gem they have.

From time to time when I need something different to look at I open my demo versions of maya,lightwave,C4d and others - messing with them sometimes gives me ideas for Carrara - but returning to Carrara is such pleasure, the interface is unbeatable and if you want to work with Daz/Poser/ characters it’s the best all round - not perfect but worthy of Dartenbeck’s enthusiasm !

I’m only a hobbyist struggling with 3Dart My lack of knowledge ( getting better ) by itself tells me when a software is easy to work with - Carrara has evrything easily accessable and really not too difficult to learn - I find the later versions of studio more confusing. Ah well maybe they’d sell more if there weren’t so much negativity going around.Potential users are sure to read these forums. Of course there would be less of that if Daz really gave it their all.

Signature 

http://bond3d.wix.com/carrarators#!home/mainPage

1 of 8