Digital Art Zone

3 of 8
DAZ! PLEASE bring back the DAZ Installers!
Posted: 01 July 2013 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1163
Joined  2006-04-16
Skiriki - 30 June 2013 11:12 PM
Knight22179 - 30 June 2013 10:59 PM

Thanks for the example, but my Runtime directory is way different than yours.

You can tell DIM how to install into YOUR Runtime, srsly.

I haven’t installed DIM, might have to now. :(

Signature 

Genesis is head & shoulders above “Genesis 2” (or better known as BF2/BM2) and is the FAR superior figure. Why? It doesn’t suffer from the UN-necessary gender split

My DeviantArt Page.

ULTIMATE SUPER-HERO FREEBIES!

The Supersuit product comes with a Basic Supersuit. DAZ has finally fixed it’s UV’s. Re-Download now to receive the update. Thanks DAZ! smile

Posted: 01 July 2013 02:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8697
Joined  2007-11-06

Removing the readme’s has nothing to do with DIM or zips.  When they update installers they’ve been removing the readme’s.  I would prefer they were in the download as well as online, but that’s a different issue than installers vs. zips.

For downloading purposes, the Product Library page and DIM use the same API.  The only difference is that the server sends DIM information on your Product Library, and DIM can compare it with what you have installed and downloaded already so it can show you only what still needs to be downloaded.  All DIM is sending is your login credentials, same as logging in with your browser.  Selecting a file in DIM to download does the same thing as clicking on the blue download button in the Product Library, except (1) the download location is the one you set up in DIM, and (2) if you have the “Install After Download” box checked, it will also be installed.

For extracting to a dummy location and then rearranging or renaming folders, the only difference between doing it manually and doing it with DIM is (1) if CMS is running DIM will also add the product list and metadata to the database, and (2) DIM keeps a record of what was installed so it can tell you about updates, even if you delete or rearrange the folders after extracting them.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 01 July 2013 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-04-16

Well, thanks for the help everyone. And also thanks for the explanations. Finally found the hair with the materials. Not where I want them to be but I’ll work that out on my own time with DIM since Skirki pointed out I can tell it to install where I want

Signature 

Genesis is head & shoulders above “Genesis 2” (or better known as BF2/BM2) and is the FAR superior figure. Why? It doesn’t suffer from the UN-necessary gender split

My DeviantArt Page.

The Supersuit product comes with a Basic Supersuit. DAZ has finally fixed it’s UV’s. Re-Download now to receive the update. Thanks DAZ! smile

Posted: 01 July 2013 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4785
Joined  2011-10-04

Good luck! I found my life much easier once I got all my content sorted this way. I remember directory structures better and now it is easier to navigate since I can always think in terms “stuff related to HAIRS”, for example. smile

Signature 

Remembering Jaderail. Rest, my friend.
My DeviantArt page.
My DAZ Studio 4 freebies.
My ramblings/blog

Posted: 01 July 2013 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-04-16
Skiriki - 01 July 2013 03:28 PM

Good luck! I found my life much easier once I got all my content sorted this way. I remember directory structures better and now it is easier to navigate since I can always think in terms “stuff related to HAIRS”, for example. smile

Thanks Skiriki. I have been meaning to re-arrange my folders. Maybe I’ll do that this time.

Signature 

My DeviantArt Page.

Posted: 01 July 2013 04:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4816
Joined  2005-08-03
Knight22179 - 01 July 2013 02:09 PM

So you’re judging and criticizing a program you’ve never even tried?

Well then… lol

The EASIEST method to use is categories, in all honesty. Have the CMS running, open DS, and install things with DS open. Then go to the paper icon in the content library > scan known directories for files > check all 3 options (minus the bottom if you want it to find everything whether it’s new or not—useful for initially creating categories for everything) > follow the highlights to your new products and categorize them. That way you’re things are ‘arranged’ how you want them, but there are no issues with file locations since they’re all where they should be physically in the folder structure.

/edit
Here’s my categories view, you can really go all out with them. All my content files are still physically in the default locations. I used AdamR’s categories script so I didn’t have to create each initial category and had a starting point. It’s located somewhere in the Freepozitory. Notice how they’re all outside of DS’ Default category (I hate navigating that thing). You can add things to multiple categories as well.

Image Attachments
Categories.jpg
 Signature 

Wearing duck crap doesn’t make you a duck - Floki
@Deviantart | @ShareCG
Tutorial: V4 Transmap Brows on Genesis via DS only.
Bulk convert V4/M4 mats for Genesis2

Posted: 01 July 2013 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  299
Joined  2008-10-01

.....purr, purr, purr.

Posted: 01 July 2013 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-04-16
Vaskania - 01 July 2013 04:11 PM
Knight22179 - 01 July 2013 02:09 PM

So you’re judging and criticizing a program you’ve never even tried?

Well then… lol

The EASIEST method to use is categories, in all honesty. Have the CMS running, open DS, and install things with DS open. Then go to the paper icon in the content library > scan known directories for files > check all 3 options (minus the bottom if you want it to find everything whether it’s new or not—useful for initially creating categories for everything) > follow the highlights to your new products and categorize them. That way you’re things are ‘arranged’ how you want them, but there are no issues with file locations since they’re all where they should be physically in the folder structure.

/edit
Here’s my categories view, you can really go all out with them. All my content files are still physically in the default locations. I used AdamR’s categories script so I didn’t have to create each initial category and had a starting point. It’s located somewhere in the Freepozitory. Notice how they’re all outside of DS’ Default category (I hate navigating that thing). You can add things to multiple categories as well.

Tsk, Tsk, Vaskania. I never said anything about judging DIM. My apologies for coming off the wrong way. wink Before I got this problem, I always used the DAZ Installers and never saw the point of installing DIM since I was happy with what worked for me. Now that it no longer will, I’m going to adapt. wink (Adapt while secretly wishing I could have my DAZ Installers back, of course) smile

And thank you very much for providing the screenshots and telling me how to use categories. smile

Signature 

My DeviantArt Page.

Posted: 01 July 2013 07:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-03

Resistance is futile.

=P

Signature 

@Deviantart | @ShareCG

Posted: 01 July 2013 08:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  521
Joined  2006-07-28

Only if you use DAZ Studio <insert nonfunctional tongue in cheek smiley here>

(and click submit, click back, click submit, click back, click submit ... yay!  It finally worked.)

Vaskania - 01 July 2013 07:25 PM

Resistance is futile.

=P

Signature 

Satira Capriccio on deviantART

Posted: 01 July 2013 08:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11191
Joined  2007-11-06
ilnyne - 30 June 2013 10:43 PM

It would have been nice if they could have given us ZIP files, and kept the installers too. But I guess that would have made too much sense.

Also, it would be nice if the ZIP files were set up so that I could actually UNZIP them to my Runtime, instead of drag-and-drop. I guess they’re optimized for DAZ Studio users?

...they’re actually optimised for the DIM which for me hasn’t worked right since day one.

The Zips would be nice if they included a readme.txt file with the product like other stores and even most freebie creators provide.  I mean how much space does this take up, 2 - 5K?  No instead it has to be more complicated in that the product information files are only accessible online and are often woefully inadequate (and in some cases, nonexistent).  I don’t download to my workstation as it is a standalone. I don’t even bother with DL-ing from home as I have a slow connection which experiences frequent timeouts and resets which kill or corrupt the download. I DL to a notebook at a hotspot that has a high sped connection then go home to transfer the files to the workstation via USB stick.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 01 July 2013 08:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-03
Kyoto Kid - 01 July 2013 08:36 PM

The Zips would be nice if they included a readme.txt file with the product like other stores and even most freebie creators provide.  I mean how much space does this take up, 2 - 5K?  No instead it has to be more complicated in that the product information files are only accessible online and are often woefully inadequate (and in some cases, nonexistent).  I don’t download to my workstation as it is a standalone. I don’t even bother with DL-ing from home as I have a slow connection which experiences frequent timeouts and resets which kill or corrupt the download. I DL to a notebook at a hotspot that has a high sped connection then go home to transfer the files to the workstation via USB stick.

I have the ReadMe info in my DIM zips. o_O

/edit
I’ve never installed a DIM zip by hand. All of the ReadMe info gets installed to a subfolder of whichever runtime I’m currently installing to in DIM.

Image Attachments
readme.jpgreadme2.jpg
 Signature 

@Deviantart | @ShareCG

Posted: 01 July 2013 09:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-04-16

Resistance is futile.

=P

Try telling that to Captain Kirk. wink

Image Attachments
KirkVsBorg.jpg
 Signature 

My DeviantArt Page.

Posted: 01 July 2013 09:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-03
Knight22179 - 01 July 2013 09:12 PM

Resistance is futile.

=P

I tried. He only tried to sell me discounts via Priceline.

Signature 

@Deviantart | @ShareCG

Posted: 01 July 2013 09:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-04-16
Vaskania - 01 July 2013 09:22 PM
Knight22179 - 01 July 2013 09:12 PM

Resistance is futile.

=P

I tried. He only tried to sell me discounts via Priceline.

Heh, and how did that go? wink

Signature 

My DeviantArt Page.

3 of 8