I’ve stopped extracting them. I drag the folders I need right out of the zip to my temp install location. This copies them to the new location, not moves them. Once there, I rename the folders to match the product names, then drag them to the proper location in my runtimes. I also move all files from the temp install folder before I move on to the next zip file. It causes less grief this way.
I still get excess folders that I have to delete when vendors put files in their subfolders because I only categorize a few products by vendor. But I don’t have to deal with deleting the Content folder (I still don’t get why DAZ puts it in the zips), or the “support” folder/files (which I also can’t see any purpose for).
Still ... despite the extra clicks the installers needed and the annoyances of installers that wouldn’t run, I am even more annoyed to find I also prefer them over DAZ zips. And that just makes absolutely no sense because zips should be easier to deal with than those installers.
I also prefer to download manually. Not like it’s all that difficult to do. I either take a few extra steps to download the file manually into the proper download folders, or I take more extra steps to cleanup after D3DIM. Those few extra steps are less masochistic than having to cleanup after D3DIM. The majority of product updates seem to be for DS anyway, so it doesn’t bother me that by not using D3DIM, I don’t know when there are updates.
At first I was worried about the zips, but after I got a bunch of them I can say it saved me a ton of time installing. And I don’t use DIM because I like to organize my content manually and there is no way the program could tell how to do it.
So the zips did win me over. I just extract all of them at once into my fake runtime. Then I move them over to my real runtime accordingly.