If you look at how the whole GoZ thing works, all of it relies on some files. On windows these are in:
There are a set of binaries in c:\users\Public\Pixologic\GoZBrush that apps like DAZ Studio call.
The apps themselves each have their own directory, where they install their plugins and code. For example DAZ Studio 64 bit’s is:
32 bit one is:
There is also a directory with projects: c:\Users\Public\Pixologic\GoZProjects
In my case, after the update, all the binaries from ZBrush which should have been in c:\users\Public\Pixologic\GoZBrush were gone. So DAZ Studio tries to start c:\Users\Public\Pixologic\GoZBrush\GoZBrushFromApp.exe and since the file isn’t there it fails.
So what I did was find these files in my ZBrush install. The entire c:\Users\Public\Pixologic directory layout was in D:\Apps\Pixologic\ZBrush 4R6\Troubleshoot Help\GoZ\Pixologic\ Most likely to help their support guys fix install problems like this.
(I have Zbrush installed on my D: drive, which I have long suspected was the root of my problems, I don’t use c:\Program Files for anything I don’t have to)
So I copied the GoZ files from the ZBrush sub-dir into c:\Users\Public\Pixologic
This changed the error to one of not being able to find Zbrush. Which makes sense, because the files I copied over didn’t have any settings in them. So to fix this I edited the file
And added a line to it:
PATH = “D:\APPS\PIXOLOGIC\ZBRUSH 4R6/ZBrush.exe”
Which points to where my ZBrush exe is. Note I added the line with the right case and with the correct slash. ZBrush itself changed the file after I did a GoZ operation to the text above.
You may need to also re-install the GoZ DAZ Studio plugin. It puts files into
c:\Users\Public\Pixologic\GoZApps\DAZStudio64 including a GoZ_Config.txt that points to your copy of DAZ Studio. That part seemed to work (I just used Install Manager to reinstall the GoZ Plugin). But the ZBrush updater/installer didn’t correctly setup the ZBrush app files in the global shared dir. I have no idea why. But this isn’t the first time. The last upgrade did a similar thing, though I think I fixed it by deactivating, uninstalling and then full reinstalling.