Digital Art Zone

1 of 7
sales tax
Posted: 23 May 2012 09:40 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2003-10-09

Is DAZ now collecting sales tax or is this a glich in the system, it shows 8% (CA)?  Since I live in California, I won’t be suprised if the state is now requiring it to be collected. 

Chohole, If this is in the wrong forum, sorry, I’m still getting use to the new forums.

Posted: 23 May 2012 09:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3775
Joined  2012-02-06

I’m in NY…same thing. Never had to pay it here before.

Signature 

Community Volunteer
Monthly New User Contests!

My tutorials and FAQs | My Gallery | My Render Thread
Visit my world… Tornalia.com | http://scottlivingston.deviantart.com

Posted: 23 May 2012 11:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  564
Joined  2007-02-16

I’ve bought 2 of the $1 goodies and didn’t have any tax for Washington… yet… and hopefully won’t!

Posted: 23 May 2012 11:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  634
Joined  2004-12-14

They have been collecting taxes for a while now.  I pay my 8.25% for Tx.

Signature 

“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored” - Aldous Huxley

Posted: 24 May 2012 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2003-10-09

Before the new store DAZ wasn’t collecting from CA.  I do remember that there was a post on the old forum about Texas sales tax being required then.  Have to wait to see what DAZ says.

Posted: 24 May 2012 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4907
Joined  2005-08-03
atryeu - 23 May 2012 11:05 PM

I’ve bought 2 of the $1 goodies and didn’t have any tax for Washington… yet… and hopefully won’t!

Same here. I normally get charged internet sales/use taxes because I live in WA, but Daz is just about the only place that doesn’t charge me taxes.

Signature 

Wearing duck crap doesn’t make you a duck - Floki
@Deviantart | @ShareCG
Tutorial: V4 Transmap Brows on Genesis (DS)
Script: Bulk convert V4/M4 mats for Genesis2 (DS/Poser)

Posted: 24 May 2012 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  564
Joined  2007-02-16
Vaskania - 24 May 2012 12:00 PM
atryeu - 23 May 2012 11:05 PM

Same here. I normally get charged internet sales/use taxes because I live in WA, but Daz is just about the only place that doesn’t charge me taxes.

Yep, same for me. I like that Daz doesn’t charge taxes for WA and I hope it doesn’t change :( I have a hard enough time affording things as it is LoL

Posted: 24 May 2012 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  230
Joined  2008-06-12

I’d like to see an official announcement about this so that we know this is the intended behaviour; and that California will actually see this money.

Posted: 24 May 2012 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  429
Joined  2007-10-08

DAZ 3D is required to collect sales tax for several states. The ones that I’m aware of are Utah, Texas, California, and now Georgia. There may be some others. I have the administrators looking into this.

Posted: 24 May 2012 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2008-09-24

I started getting charged tax ever since the new store went online. Is this intentional or is this a bug?

Thanks

Posted: 24 May 2012 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1336
Joined  2006-03-14

There’s already a thread on this subject here -> http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/247/

Thanks!

Signature 

My Tutorials and Freebies Index

Posted: 24 May 2012 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  203
Joined  2003-10-09

Even if Daz still has an office in California (the Carrara team) it would be prudent for them (Daz) to read the new legislation regarding downloads, as California changed and updated them in time for the iPad 3 launch and many downloadable items no longer require tax to be charged

Posted: 24 May 2012 05:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  949
Joined  2003-10-09

I poked around at the California Board of Equalization website and it appears that Internet Sales for downloadable products are exempt from California Sales Tax:

http://www.boe.ca.gov/formspubs/pub109/
http://www.boe.ca.gov/sutax/pdf/pub109.pdf

Here’s what it states:

Some Internet sales are not taxable

Common exempt transactions

Some of your Internet sales—including sales for resale, sales of cold food products, and sales delivered outside of California—may not be subject to California sales or use tax. Common exemptions are described in publication 73, Your California Seller’s Permit. More detailed information is found in publication 61, Sales and Use Taxes: Exemptions and Exclusions.

Products electronically transmitted to customers

Your sale of electronic data products such as software, data, digital books (eBooks), mobile applications, and digital images is generally not taxable when you transmit the data to your customer over the Internet or by modem. However, if as part of the sale you provide your customer with a printed copy of the electronically transferred information or a backup data copy on a physical storage medium such as a CD-ROM, your entire sale is usually taxable.

An eBook is an electronic version of a traditional print book that can be read by using a tablet computer or by using an eBook reader. Users can purchase an eBook on diskette or CD, but the most popular method of getting an eBook is to purchase a downloadable file of the eBook without purchasing any physical storage medium. A mobile application, also known as a “mobile app”, is computer software designed for use on a smartphone or tablet computer. The transfer of a downloadable file such as an eBook or an “app” without purchasing any physical storage medium is not a taxable transaction.

If your company sells canned (noncustom) software programs to customers who download them from a server, those sales are generally not subject to tax. However, if you also provide your customers with a backup copy on a CD-ROM, the entire transaction is taxable. Similarly, if you transmit a stock (noncustom) database to your customer over the Internet and also provide a printed copy of the contents, the entire sale is subject to tax. For more information regarding the sale of computer programs and data processing services, you may wish to obtain a copy of Regulation 1502, Computers, Programs, and Data Processing.

Posted: 24 May 2012 06:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2008-09-24

Yeah, for example, I just bought Diablo 3 Digital Download because I don’t pay tax on that as opposed to a physical copy. So I am not sure why I am being charged tax for California all of a sudden buying items from DAZ.

Posted: 24 May 2012 07:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1020
Joined  2011-05-19

Is it normal forthe Daz Store to charge sales tax?  Here in California where almost everything is taxed,on-line sales are not taxes, nor is software or services so I was supprised to see an extra 10% on the SuperSuit invoice. I also paid 139, 20 more than the flyer says platinum goes for. Whats up with these discrepancies.  Help submit ticket is not working for me.

Signature 

Enjoy my games & freebie content created with DAZ 3D:

3dSkyDome.com - Curiosity killed the browser, 3d R&D

3Dnld My Freebies & Games - Farm Peeps Farm Theme 3D Stuff

Posted: 24 May 2012 08:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1508
Joined  2010-06-29

aaaaaaaand…outside the US?

Signature 

Samples of my renders by cosmo

Every day is your day - not the day of other people - So live your life, not the lifes of others and enjoy it

1 of 7