Digital Art Zone

2 of 8
It’s Here! Sculptural Genesis Ultra Fun Kit [Commercial]
Posted: 27 June 2013 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2183
Joined  2012-02-04

This does look like ultra fun! We so need that UV. The lamps are clever.

Posted: 27 June 2013 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1494
Joined  2003-10-09

If I get time tonight I’ll try it out with the Sheer Greatness shader and post my results here smile

Signature 

My DAZ Store
My Free Stuff
My Deviant Art

Posted: 27 June 2013 03:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  805
Joined  2004-05-14

Great looking set. Definitely a must buy.

Posted: 27 June 2013 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  665
Joined  2006-11-10

I’m in love with the look of that UV map.

Signature 

Old post count: 3,394,206

Posted: 27 June 2013 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2847
Joined  0

Ooooh, I want this for the lamp!  I want to make an art-deco statue lamp! (grin)

Signature 

My bloggity blog: http://the-serpents-fang.blogspot.com/
My Red Room Authors Page: http://redroom.com/member/edward-averill

Posted: 27 June 2013 05:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Here’s the UV Template for the Sculptural UV - note that it uses a full overlap to avoid seams (the sides of the figure are mirrored blend areas where the texture reverses itself) so won’t work for painting a human skin on the figure, but for repeating textures it produces fabulous results, if I do say so myself.  It’s different from a straight planar projection in that the hands and feet are flattened out to lie in the same plane as the rest of the body, the eyelids were closed before mapping to avoid stretching if you do a closed-eye statue, and the eyes are lined up with the eye sockets so you can have a line of marbling that goes straight across the eye, like in a real carving.  Also these UV’s are “relaxed” so that they don’t scrunch up at the edges.

Image Attachments
Sculptural_Genesis_T.jpg
 Signature 

My DAZ Store
My Free Stuff
My Deviant Art

Posted: 27 June 2013 05:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2800
Joined  2006-07-31
Canary3d - 27 June 2013 05:16 PM

Here’s the UV Template for the Sculptural UV - note that it uses a full overlap to avoid seams (the sides of the figure are mirrored blend areas where the texture reverses itself) so won’t work for painting a human skin on the figure, but for repeating textures it produces fabulous results, if I do say so myself.  It’s different from a straight planar projection in that the hands and feet are flattened out to lie in the same plane as the rest of the body, the eyelids were closed before mapping to avoid stretching if you do a closed-eye statue, and the eyes are lined up with the eye sockets so you can have a line of marbling that goes straight across the eye, like in a real carving.  Also these UV’s are “relaxed” so that they don’t scrunch up at the edges.

It is an interesting concept, Canary. If you don’t mind me asking, what program did you use to make that sort of UVs?

Signature 

Original Genesis shape and Genesis morphs transfer to G2F/G2M, G2F/G2M clones for Genesis
a way to transfer morphs to Genesis without Gen-X

Posted: 27 June 2013 06:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  992
Joined  2012-02-04

The UV map looks quite useful.

Are the shaders based on DZDefaultShader with tiled image maps?  Or are they Shader Mixer procedurals?  I’m hoping the former, as that makes it a lot easier to use them in LuxRender.

Signature 

My deviantART Homepage

Posted: 27 June 2013 06:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

I mapped it with Bodypaint3d/Cinema4d, which lets you manipulate UVs on a point-by-point basis as well as having some nice algorithms for relaxing.

Almost all of the shaders are texture based - the chalkware shaders have a diffuse color applied as well as a diffuse map, to give different colors of plaster, and the lamp brass and glass are mildly procedural, but nothing uses shader mixer or anything too complicated.  I like to use textures since I want to render in Vue and other apps, and also because I just like making tiling textures *smile*

Signature 

My DAZ Store
My Free Stuff
My Deviant Art

Posted: 27 June 2013 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Now that I’ve taken a look at Sheer Greatness I can see I need to learn to use it properly, since it has a lot of options, so that won’t be happening tonight, but I rendered a Fabricator preset (that is, one of the ones from Marieah’s Fabricator product in the store) for you so you can see how the tiling will look.  This shows the side of his leg and under arm etc so you get a feel for how that blended /mirrored seam looks with the Sculptural UV. 

Edit: Adding a second picture that’s of one of my kit’s Ultra Fun lampshade fabrics…so basically anything seamless will behave similarly with this UV set.

Image Attachments
Fabricator.jpgLampshade.jpg
 Signature 

My DAZ Store
My Free Stuff
My Deviant Art

Posted: 27 June 2013 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1163
Joined  2006-04-16

Looks great Canary3D! smile

Question, I don’t have the Native American head morphs. Will the morphs still work?

Signature 

Genesis is head & shoulders above “Genesis 2” (or better known as BF2/BM2) and is the FAR superior figure. Why? It doesn’t suffer from the UN-necessary gender split

My DeviantArt Page.

ULTIMATE SUPER-HERO FREEBIES!

The Supersuit product comes with a Basic Supersuit. DAZ has finally fixed it’s UV’s. Re-Download now to receive the update. Thanks DAZ! smile

Posted: 27 June 2013 08:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2800
Joined  2006-07-31

Canary3D, mapping looks quite nice. I can image a couple of patterns where it won’t work that well but for my purposes I’m looking forward your product quite a lot and hope I can afford it.

Signature 

Original Genesis shape and Genesis morphs transfer to G2F/G2M, G2F/G2M clones for Genesis
a way to transfer morphs to Genesis without Gen-X

Posted: 27 June 2013 08:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4708
Joined  2005-08-03

Looking forward to this! I really loved the Harcore Utility wireframe look, and I can’t say I’ve ever thought of turning people into furniture. I need to start looking at old antiques more. lol

Signature 

Wearing duck crap doesn’t make you a duck - Floki
@Deviantart | @ShareCG
Tutorial: V4 Transmap Brows on Genesis via DS only.
——————————-
Websleuths - Help bring the missing home and give names to those who don’t have them.

Posted: 27 June 2013 09:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2282
Joined  2003-12-06

Heh, those two Fabricator presets look like they’ve been run over by a deranged wallpaper hanger.

Looks very interesting, I’ll definitely put this on my buy-it-soon list.

Signature 

Gone to Vegas to play poker. Back when I run out of clothes.—Your Muse.

Posted: 27 June 2013 11:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2216
Joined  2005-09-05

Looks great I still have some money sitting there from a gift voucher I bought. Hope it gets here quickly….; )

Signature 

Shadermixer tutorials and recipes
My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

2 of 8