2 of 18
QUIRKY, HUMOROUS, FAST AND FURIOUS: Fabulous Prizes! WIP Thread:
Posted: 27 June 2013 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  357
Joined  0
head wax - 26 June 2013 09:35 PM

RESTRICTIONS: You can use:

1) Objects that come with Carrara (found in your Browser Objects Folder: From Aircraft to Writer.) ‘

2) ONE item of non “humanoid” CONTENT.

CONTENT:
5) Your Content Element can be used Once in the scene.
6) Content Definition: something that did not come in your Carrara Objects Folder. It could be something that you made, purchased or received as a freebie.

Andrew,

I’m having a hard time understanding the restrictions.

First - Does the above mean that the image can contain as many items from the “Objects” browser tab as I wish to use? (no limit)

Second - The “Content Definition” above seems to state that “content” is essentially anything else in the scene, whether purchased or created from scratch. And it can be used only once. So for example, if I wanted to use one or more of the vehicles from the Objects tab, I would be prohibited from building a street scene for them to occupy since it would need to consist of many different hand modeled pieces of “content”, but I am allowed only one piece of “content”.

THE CARRARA OBJECTS
If you look in the HELP>OBJECT CATALOGUE drop down menu in the top bar of your Carrara, will find a link to a PDF that outlines all the Objects that come with Carrara.

This menu item doesn’t seem to exist in my version of Carrara (Macintosh). Is there another way to access this PDF?

Signature 

-Dean

DAZ Gallery: http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/1922/

Posted: 27 June 2013 01:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4935
Joined  2006-08-27

“Content” generally is shorthand around here for DAZ Studio/Poser style pre-made figures, characters, or props. That’s why the distinction for things from Carrara’s Object Browser and it’s Content Browser.

I take the rules to mean that you can use one pre-made Studio/Poser non-human figure, character, or prop. I see no restriction on using objects you created yourself, rigged or otherwise.

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 27 June 2013 01:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5959
Joined  2007-12-04
de3an - 27 June 2013 12:46 PM

This menu item doesn’t seem to exist in my version of Carrara (Macintosh). Is there another way to access this PDF?

If you dig around in your Carrara installation folder, I believe it’s in either Docs or Help… and the pdf is called Content Catalogue, I believe.

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 27 June 2013 01:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27

So, as an example of some of the stuff found in the Objects Browser, here’s a very old image I did in Carrara 5. The model is Carlsbad located under Landmarks. I reshaded it using photos I snapped of cave rocks and features from Cave of the Mounds in southwest Wisconsin.

Image Attachments
Picture_1.pngCave03.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 27 June 2013 01:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRank
Joined  0
evilproducer - 27 June 2013 01:38 PM

“Content” generally is shorthand around here for DAZ Studio/Poser style pre-made figures, characters, or props. That’s why the distinction for things from Carrara’s Object Browser and it’s Content Browser.

I take the rules to mean that you can use one pre-made Studio/Poser non-human figure, character, or prop. I see no restriction on using objects you created yourself, rigged or otherwise.

Well, I hope you’re right. But he did define Content as:

6) Content Definition: something that did not come in your Carrara Objects Folder. It could be something that you made, purchased or received as a freebie.

Such a broad definition describes everything that did not originate in the Carrara Objects folder.

I’m sure Andrew will clear it up. It’s still early in the AM “down under”.  :-)

Signature 

-Dean

Posted: 27 June 2013 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Joined  0
Dartanbeck - 27 June 2013 01:45 PM
de3an - 27 June 2013 12:46 PM

If you dig around in your Carrara installation folder, I believe it’s in either Docs or Help… and the pdf is called Content Catalogue, I believe.

Thanks.
DAZ seems to have removed it from all versions of Carrara 8. (at least on the Macintosh side). I had to go back to my Carrara 7 installation to find it.

Signature 

-Dean

Posted: 27 June 2013 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27
de3an - 27 June 2013 01:50 PM
evilproducer - 27 June 2013 01:38 PM

Well, I hope you’re right. But he did define Content as:

Such a broad definition describes everything that did not originate in the Carrara Objects folder.

I’m sure Andrew will clear it up. It’s still early in the AM “down under”.  grin

Jeez, if what I make in Carrara is excluded, I’m out. Some of the stuff in the Objects Browser is okay, and some is pretty awful. I have an idea for a couple of scenes using objects from the browser, but I assumed I could flesh them out with my own Carrara made stuff.

Signature 

Posted: 27 June 2013 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  198
Joined  2008-02-26

Hmmm, I took it to mean stuff you made in other programs, but perhaps I am mistaken. It’s a moot point for me though, I am going to attempt an entry using nothing but carrara objects lol. Gonna have to tweak the hell out of them though.

I would also like to echo booksbydavid’s request about the skele transfer, that looks fascinating lol.

Posted: 27 June 2013 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1946
Joined  2008-01-28

Andrew,

I’m having a hard time understanding the restrictions.

First - Does the above mean that the image can contain as many items from the “Objects” browser tab as I wish to use? (no limit)

Second - The “Content Definition” above seems to state that “content” is essentially anything else in the scene, whether purchased or created from scratch. And it can be used only once. So for example, if I wanted to use one or more of the vehicles from the Objects tab, I would be prohibited from building a street scene for them to occupy since it would need to consist of many different hand modeled pieces of “content”, but I am allowed only one piece of “content”.

de3an and evil

I’m very sorry to be so obtuse. The idea is to make a level playing field so that everyone who wants to can participate. I realise now that I have made it too level! I will change the rules so that you can use as much of your own work as you like!

To be honest, Bligh’s comment on our last challenge which said something like “it will turn into just another Daz doll fest,” or similar, stung a little! So I don’t personally have anything against Mike4 or Viki, but I thought that was the easiest way to make the r enders we get here stand out, by excluding a lot of people’s “normal” fall back figures.

but I went too far in my exclusions, apologies!
So I will tweak the r ules a little.
Thankyou for the feedback!

Evil, that is a great render!!!!!!

Booksbydavid and TheKd,

Oh the stealing bones is nothing complicated. Dazdog is still there, just hidden. It’s like I have conformed the DOG’s mesh to it.
I’ll get back at lunch time and go into details but you will already know them.
Wendy steals bones all the time I believe?

Dartanbeck, thanks for explaining about the PDF

Signature 

http://andrewfinnie.blogspot.com.au/

Posted: 27 June 2013 03:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-28

Thanks for the feedback, here are the rules tweaked. (smiley here)
Any other feedback of course is welcome!

RESTRICTIONS: You can use:

1) Objects that come with Carrara (found in your Browser Objects Folder: From Aircraft to Writer.) ‘

2) ONE item of non “humanoid” CONTENT.

3) ANYTHING you made yourself, in any quantity.

CONTENT:

1) The CONTENT element is optional.

2) It could be a Pig, a Goat, a COW, a Biplane, a Wigwam, A planet.

3) It can’t be Vicki, Michael Alyson or any other figure meant to represent a human being, or human like creature.  You can, however, use their bone structure to rig something you find in the Carrara Objects folder.

4) Content that has Multi Element Objects like an Aircraft Carrier with ten different Kinds of Lifeboats, an entire Medieval Town., a Blacksmith’s with an entire array of furniture and tools etc should be avoided. However, an aeroplane with bombs, a dog with separate teeth and a collar, or a pushbike with separate seat, wheels, pedals etc would be acceptable.

I’ll leave it up to the individual artist to make a distinction.

5) Your Content Element can be used Once in the scene - (optical reflections aside)

6) Content Definition: something that did not come in your Carrara Objects Folder. It could be something that you purchased or received as a freebie. Anything you made yourself is NOT content.

Signature 

Posted: 27 June 2013 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-28
ManStan - 27 June 2013 07:54 AM

Hmmm, I don’t have a mimic version of ‘mater.

sorry Manstan, not sure what you mean?

Signature 

Posted: 27 June 2013 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRank
Joined  0
head wax - 27 June 2013 03:52 PM

Thanks for the feedback, here are the rules tweaked. (smiley here)
Any other feedback of course is welcome!

Thanks Andrew!

Signature 

-Dean

Posted: 27 June 2013 04:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7275
Joined  2009-07-13

line up daz figure’s pose to object’s limbs
hold shift
select Daz figure’s hip
go to animation
attach skeleton
untick daz figure’s visibility

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 27 June 2013 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  774
Joined  2003-10-09

The rhino in disguise (morphed and painted) as a cow.  The rhino came from the content browser.  The udder is a torus with a spiky modifier.

Image Attachments
rhino_cow.jpg

Posted: 27 June 2013 05:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5959
Joined  2007-12-04
wendy♥catz - 27 June 2013 04:56 PM

line up daz figure’s pose to object’s limbs
hold shift
select Daz figure’s hip
go to animation
attach skeleton
untick daz figure’s visibility

Thank you, Wendy (I’d put a smile here - but they’re broken!)
diomede64, Nice Cow!

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

2 of 18