Digital Art Zone

Problems with excessively dark cheek hollows…
Posted: 26 June 2013 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  190
Joined  2012-07-20

Hello!

I have a question that my research about shaders has not shed any light on.  I’m using a V5 skin mat, HSS shader, and a displacement map throughout.  My light setup is a three light rig - one specular light on the camera, a low-intensity fill on the camera, and a carefully placed main light.  It generally works ideally for me.  The figure’s skin renders beautifully… all except the hollows of her cheeks.  I have tried to address this with an additional dedicated light on her face, to no avail.  Not even fiddling with the specular, diffuse, or other channels seem to impart any lightening of her cheeks.  I have ambient turned off, by the way, but turning it on and changing the color from black to white, and adjusting the parameters, does not help.  I’m using DAZ 4.6.

What are some things that I can look at here?  I’m not sure if this is just a function of the geometry of her face, or of certain skin maps.  Thanks in advance for reading!

Posted: 26 June 2013 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16780
Joined  2003-10-09

an image attached would help people to help you.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        November Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 26 June 2013 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  190
Joined  2012-07-20

I’m away from the computer with my render library on it at the moment.  Maybe someone else will take a stab at it.  Thanks anyway.

Posted: 27 June 2013 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7888
Joined  2012-09-10

You can try a point light raised directly across from the cheek. Then use colors to offset the dark color of the hollow- you’ll need to go with a bright whitish pink/peach if the hollows are blue in tone, or bright whitish blue if the hollows are mauve. Think opposites. I use spotlights and point lights.

Signature 

SILO Step By Step
The Art Studio: Thread #5   Product Discussions
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 27 June 2013 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1119
Joined  2010-09-19

You could maybe add an UnberEnvironment base light to add better control of the ambient light/shadow strength, or if you already using one then try boosting it up a bit.

Signature 

My deviantART page
My ShareCG freebies
Some of my music

Posted: 27 June 2013 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3030
Joined  2004-04-25

Which base figure and what face morph (if it’s a commercial morph)?

What happens if you render the stock base (Genesis or G2F) with the textures and lights without changing from the default face?

Signature 

“...not world enough nor time…” 

Posted: 05 July 2013 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11852
Joined  2005-10-07

is the excessively dark cheek hollows cured?

Signature 

Ð ° ° ° ° ° ö tīd gesǣlig
meaning of life = 42
self-reminder 22Dec
shut eye