Digital Art Zone

24 of 37
V6, DAZ’s most successful release? 
Posted: 01 July 2013 07:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 346 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2196
Joined  2011-11-16

Yes, that was my point… the freebies in general don’t show as downloadable anymore, including ones that are still available, unless purchased. It was in direct reference to a previous comment. Basically, if one didn’t ‘purchase’ something, then the item is subject to being no longer available at some point. Technically, even if the item was purchased, as in the not to distant DIM + new license issue.

Understand, I’m not trying to stir anything up but rather keep the record clear. I try to keep an open mind but with all of the facts.

DAZ mentioned at that time that people should be keeping backups of their content and I think that this still applies.

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 01 July 2013 07:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 347 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15815
Joined  2003-10-09
icprncss - 30 June 2013 05:28 PM

DAZ never offered an explanation as to why they were pulling the figure but perhaps it was sold as a DO but like Lisa’s plants, it was still owned by Dodger.

DAZ Studio is another product that doesn’t remain the same.  While you probably purchased DS4.5 when it was released and your product library will list it as such, the download is for DS4.6. 

SF1 had broken fingers - I can’t recall which, but one joint on each (probably the tip) didn’t move. Dodger did release a fix, but it wasn’t entirely successful. The Freaky Devils freebie, which was built on the Freaks, did do somewhat better but even then there was crunching in the knuckles as I recall - and in the past DAZ has been reluctant to make unilateral changes to content even if they own the rights.

And yes, when a given product/SKU is updated you get the update and not the original - that has affected one or two items in the store, as well as applications.

None of which has any obvious bearing on Genesis 1.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 01 July 2013 07:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 348 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  931
Joined  2003-10-09
background - 30 June 2013 11:19 AM

Since some people have made a point of saying they disagree with what I wrote I will explain my thoughts here.

Firstly, and most importantly, none of us can claim to speak for a large part of the userbase. I could say “All DAZ users want lower prices” it may or may not be true, but I have no way of knowing that. Clearly some people agree with JasminSkunk, and that is fine, and to be expected. I disagree, and that also should be fine.

I believe DAZ does care what we think, it they didn’t they could close down the forum and just send out emails when there were new items for sale. Some stores work that way.
It has been said that a lot of what is posted in the forums is read, but a lot of conflicting opinions are posted, so which should they listen too? me, you, PA’s? We can’t all push DAZ in different directions, or expect to do so.  Even in this thread people are suggesting differing ‘priority lists’. 

One thing I do agree with is that there hasn’t been a clear explanation of why Genesis 2 was created instead of modifying Genesis 1. I have read, here and elsewhere, that some people don’t like the gender neutral base. Maybe DAZ is listening to those customers? Whatever the reason I am happy with genesis 2 and V6 and I’m not afraid to say so.

On the subject of DAZ just wants as much money as possible, again I disagree. Right now there are over 2300 items in the PC club for $1.99 each. I’m sure those items cost more than that to make. Some may be old, but nevertheless we are being offered a lot of items at knock down prices.

I don’t have a lot of disposable income myself, so what I spend I want to get value for. and I believe I get that here.

I’m sure people will dissect what I have written and pull it apart, that’s fine. It’s still my opinion though.

Don’t get wrapped up in the minutiae, lots of people express themselves in ways that sounds like they’re talking for a larger group. I’ve seen it done on both sides of the discussion here in this thread. Probably they’d be more accurate to say “all the _________ that I know think….” If you go back and reread what Jasmine said she really never said she spoke for all hobbyists she didn’t say this either but at least to me her words read closer to “all hobbyists like me”.

As for the $1.99 stuff those are kind of like what is known in the retail industry as loss leaders which are things sold at or below cost with the hopes they’ll generate other business. Additionally if you look carefully thru the bulk of the $1.99 items a great many of them are add-ons for something else that isn’t $1.99. Also if you look inside them they tend to have less to them then other similar things that sell at higher prices. Like a Texture pack in the $1.99 section is more likely going to just have 2 or 3 options rather then a half dozen or more options like the more expensive texture packs, or poses might only have a handful of poses rather then a dozen or more poses. Also keep in mind that $1.99 price is in some ways offset by the monthly or annual (best value) membership fee.

Posted: 01 July 2013 07:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 349 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
KickAir 8P - 30 June 2013 11:01 PM

And even if true, it depends on when the male version shows up (don’t anyone so much as breath the s-word!) — weeks?  Months?  The traditional years?  Until then, since this is called Genesis, it’s essentially half a product.  If that, considering the lack of a basic child.

The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind . . . much like vapor.

I suspect it’ll show up later this year maybe during the PC membership event?

Posted: 01 July 2013 07:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 350 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
Cybersox13 - 30 June 2013 11:08 PM
Puntomaus - 30 June 2013 07:14 PM
Cybersox13 - 30 June 2013 04:25 PM
Male-M3dia - 30 June 2013 03:30 PM

Well then you’ll probably have to give an example to that effect and whether the functionality was brought into DS. I have a good number of plugins from DS2 and DS3, and most of them were PA owned.

I’m not into the Big Brother-esque theories as much as some, but DAZ does have a history of just dropping things, making it essential to keep older versions of the software on hand.  One that doesn’t count as a plug-in, per se, was the figure mixer from DS3.  While the basic functions of morph follower was superseded by the Transfer Active morphs routine,  the FM just seemed to vanish into the ether despite Studio still supporting Gen3 and 4 figures. 

Yep, I miss the Figure Mixer too. Try loading a scene with a dolly created with Figure Mixer in the current version of DAZ Studio ... it’s not nice.

Which is why I mentioned it, as it seems to be a good example of what a lot of people are worried about.  It’s not so much that we think that there’ll be an intentional dropping of Genesis 1 support, but the Figure Mixer was a pretty heavily hyped feature in DS3, and with DS4, it just went “poof!”

Or even if it doesn’t disappear from your products library it could go the route of the Content Manager which can still be downloaded if you bought it but it stopped working years ago after the first website upgrade.

Posted: 01 July 2013 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 351 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  17151
Joined  2003-10-09
LordHardDriven - 01 July 2013 07:43 AM

Additionally if you look carefully thru the bulk of the $1.99 items a great many of them are add-ons for something else that isn’t $1.99

Most of the add-on packs are textures for PC items, either the $1.99 ones or the value $2.99 ones

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 01 July 2013 08:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 352 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
chohole - 01 July 2013 07:58 AM
LordHardDriven - 01 July 2013 07:43 AM

Additionally if you look carefully thru the bulk of the $1.99 items a great many of them are add-ons for something else that isn’t $1.99

Most of the add-on packs are textures for PC items, either the $1.99 ones or the value $2.99 ones

Okay but it doesn’t change the point I made as I never said all were for something else that isn’t $1.99.

Posted: 01 July 2013 08:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 353 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2882
Joined  2006-07-31

As for the $1.99 stuff those are kind of like what is known in the retail industry as loss leaders which are things sold at or below cost with the hopes they’ll generate other business.

I don’t think PC is a loss-leader for DAZ3D. Otherwise we don’t have a gamble of Value category, which was specifically introduced to make people buy more PC items and not store them in wishlists, because PC wasn’t making as much money as it needed to make. I believe I saw Laurie mention a couple of time that PC items should sell enough to make new items possible and there were some difficulties with that.

Signature 

Original Genesis shape and Genesis morphs transfer to G2F/G2M, G2F/G2M clones for Genesis
a way to transfer morphs to Genesis without Gen-X

Posted: 01 July 2013 08:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 354 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2303
Joined  2010-12-18
Kattey - 01 July 2013 08:06 AM

I don’t think PC is a loss-leader for DAZ3D. Otherwise we don’t have a gamble of Value category, which was specifically introduced to make people buy more PC items and not store them in wishlists, because PC wasn’t making as much money as it needed to make. I believe I saw Laurie mention a couple of time that PC items should sell enough to make new items possible and there were some difficulties with that.

I couldn’t tell you the last time I bought a PC item. a few months at least. I don’t even wishlist them.

Signature 

My deviantArt Pinup Gallery

Posted: 01 July 2013 08:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 355 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2882
Joined  2006-07-31
larsmidnatt - 01 July 2013 08:12 AM
Kattey - 01 July 2013 08:06 AM

I couldn’t tell you the last time I bought a PC item. a few months at least. I don’t even wishlist them.

Neither I do anymore. I also deleted all DOs from my wishlist, just in case of new idea that DAZ3D could make from BigBrothering of my wishlist :p
I do buy PC items I like/need on release but I was always doing this even before Value.

Signature 

Original Genesis shape and Genesis morphs transfer to G2F/G2M, G2F/G2M clones for Genesis
a way to transfer morphs to Genesis without Gen-X

Posted: 01 July 2013 09:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 356 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  420
Joined  2009-07-24

The Value Category hasn’t changed my buying habits. If I really like a PC item, I buy it during the first week, as I always have. If I don’t see myself using it, I pass. If I later have a need for it, $1 is not going to stand in the way of it going in my shopping cart. However, haven’t needed to buy a Value item yet!

Signature 

Someone please tell me what is so great about this century.

Posted: 01 July 2013 09:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 357 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2004-01-07
Knight22179 - 24 June 2013 05:24 PM

Got an E-mail today saying that V6 is DAZ’s most successful release to date. With the large number of disgruntled, and upset, DAZ customers (a lot of which refusing to buy), somehow I highly doubt that.

I Would have thought Victoria’s 3 and 4 were the most successful for Daz.  But then again they have been around for a few years. I see real success in where V5/V6 is a few years time in terms of content and support..

Considering how long Vicky 3 and 4 have been around you still have a lot of content being made for them..

Posted: 01 July 2013 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 358 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2538
Joined  2005-04-15
SereneNight - 01 July 2013 07:15 AM

Hmm. Perhaps it only shows item you buy from the store. I bought morphing python, and it is still in my downloads.

Ditto here.  Nothing from the Free Library ever showed up in my downloads, I had to save all of those to a separate folder.  The Python was a weird sitch in and of itself, as it was in the a freebie library, then re-offered as a for purchase item at the same time the Cold Blooded texture pack for it came out.  There were also a dozen or so free items that were made available through the PC forum that were never in my runtimes either.

Signature 

“And on the subject of bundles, exactly WHY does the M5 Pro Suite have a V5 DRESS and the Troll in it? Exactly what kind of “pro” IS M5?  Apparently one who likes to dress up in drag and go cruising down in the red light district of lower Middle Earth.”

Posted: 01 July 2013 09:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 359 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3151
Joined  2004-04-25
Richard Haseltine - 01 July 2013 07:32 AM
icprncss - 30 June 2013 05:28 PM

DAZ never offered an explanation as to why they were pulling the figure but perhaps it was sold as a DO but like Lisa’s plants, it was still owned by Dodger.

DAZ Studio is another product that doesn’t remain the same.  While you probably purchased DS4.5 when it was released and your product library will list it as such, the download is for DS4.6. 

SF1 had broken fingers - I can’t recall which, but one joint on each (probably the tip) didn’t move. Dodger did release a fix, but it wasn’t entirely successful. The Freaky Devils freebie, which was built on the Freaks, did do somewhat better but even then there was crunching in the knuckles as I recall - and in the past DAZ has been reluctant to make unilateral changes to content even if they own the rights.

And yes, when a given product/SKU is updated you get the update and not the original - that has affected one or two items in the store, as well as applications.

None of which has any obvious bearing on Genesis 1.

This was not in direct reference to Genesis 1 but the overall statement that thing will always be in your downloads.  The example simply illustrates that you cannot always be certain something, even something that was paid for, will always be in your downloads. 

The DS reference was that my product library lists it as DS4.5 but the download is DS4.6.  Some users systems have issue with one version and not another.  A user may need to download DS4.5 for whatever reason and not be able to because the download is for a different version.

Signature 

“...not world enough nor time…” 

Posted: 01 July 2013 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 360 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2538
Joined  2005-04-15
Male-M3dia - 01 July 2013 05:16 AM

I can understand why they pulled the figure mixer, that’s the precursor to genesis… and it really didn’t work all that well and no one really used it. Morph follower didn’t work that well; it made brittle clothing that broke if you reposed the character. Transfer active morphs works much better. But then those were intro features that were replaced by better functionality, which I’ve said before. But still, those aren’t plugins from DAZ, and we were talking about ones they haven’t updated.

I’d say that an active feature of the base software that gets dropped is a level above a plug in… though if we want to talk plug ins, we could go back to Morph Follower.  That was a plug in (still sold in the store, in fact,) and I think most of us agree that it still works better for Gen4 in DS3 than it’s nominal replacement does in DS4.  One of the concerns I’m hearing here is that DS 4.8 or DS5 may end up doing something similar so that original Genesis doesn’t function as well in those versions as in DS4.5 & 4.6.     

And on a similar note, Genesis and DS4 didn’t completely replace the functionality of Figure Mixer.  They do let you do something similar, but with a different set of assets.  While Figure mixer was far from perfect, it did have the significant perk of working with Gen3 assets, which made it quite useful for filling out background scenes… especially when you have a runtime filled with old gen 3 skins.  By comparison, DS4 only lets you use some of those assets via the use of outside products like TC2.  That’s not a 1 to 1 exchange, that’s taking an apple, substituting an orange, and if someone didn’t already have TC2 and the necessary plug ins, asking them to pay for a knife to peel the orange with. 

Signature 

“And on the subject of bundles, exactly WHY does the M5 Pro Suite have a V5 DRESS and the Troll in it? Exactly what kind of “pro” IS M5?  Apparently one who likes to dress up in drag and go cruising down in the red light district of lower Middle Earth.”

24 of 37