Digital Art Zone

2 of 5
DAZ 3D Human Figures - A History
Posted: 26 June 2013 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  622
Joined  2013-01-27

sorry, another question. Since V6 is really genesis 2 is there any need to purchase it (since genesis 2 female comes free with DAZ)?

Sorry if I am being dim, but I am getting a bit confused here…

Posted: 26 June 2013 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22

V6 is a MORPH for G2 just like V5 is a morph for G1. You will only have V6 if you buy it.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 26 June 2013 12:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  622
Joined  2013-01-27
Jaderail - 26 June 2013 12:07 PM

V6 is a MORPH for G2 just like V5 is a morph for G1. You will only have V6 if you buy it.

ok, thanks

So like Aiko4 was a morph for V4 (which was the base figure)?

Posted: 26 June 2013 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22
Sertorial - 26 June 2013 12:16 PM
Jaderail - 26 June 2013 12:07 PM

ok, thanks

So like Aiko4 was a morph for V4 (which was the base figure)?

Yes, the same type of thing. You got it.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 18 September 2013 10:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2013-06-09

Very cool history lesson Scott Thanks ..but I do have one question I"ve used Bree a few times ..so who the hell is she?..just a gen2 clone with makeup?As a new comer it’s a bit confusing to know who is who and by just shopping the sight you would be led to believe that the figure to have is Victoria 4.It seems every thing is made for her.Try finding some nice slutty pumps for gen2 ..good luck…shoes are almost non existent for gen 3 without out buying a converter.I’ve been planning on buying Victoria 4.2 as my next char acter because she is much easier to shop for…did U really just say that.My old girl friends would be amazed.thanks for the article I’m printing it out now.You Rock!...Raykat

Posted: 19 September 2013 12:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  130
Joined  2012-08-12

thanks for this history of 3D characters, really interresting especially to me who only joined last year and mostly using Genesis 1

Posted: 19 September 2013 03:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  412
Joined  2007-07-15
raykat01 - 18 September 2013 10:29 PM

Very cool history lesson Scott Thanks ..but I do have one question I"ve used Bree a few times ..so who the hell is she?..just a gen2 clone with makeup? As a new comer it’s a bit confusing to know who is who and by just shopping the sight you would be led to believe that the figure to have is Victoria 4. ... Raykat

Bree is just the name for the Elite texture which came with Victoria 5.  It is also the default texture for Genesis 2 Female, but with a different UV mapping.  I am not sure whether the G2F Bree is Elite standard, I suspect not.

Signature 

Cayman’s ROOFTOP (DAZ Gallery)      ***      Cayman Studios (Store)

Posted: 19 September 2013 05:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  110
Joined  2009-11-09

speaking of shopping. How do I know what to buy for Bree? or anyone else?  I only have what came with Studio 4.6 If something states It will work for Gen2 then will it work with my Bree? I never bought V5

Using Windows 7 64 bit Studio 4.6

Signature 

Windows 7 64 bit DAZ studio 4.6
Saving often is my best friend
  My Deviantart gallery   http://dholm.deviantart.com/gallery/

Posted: 19 September 2013 05:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  517
Joined  2003-10-09

Just a couple more tidbits in case anyone is interested

She Freak is a 3rd generation unimesh stand alone character. Not a lot of clothing available. With a lot of fiddling morph transfer software will work for more clothing.

She Freak 2 is still 3rd generation unimesh but is now a morph of V3. Still not a lot of clothing. Since she’s now a morph, transfer software works with less fiddling.

She Freak 4 is a 4th generation unimesh character but, like all gen 4 females, is a morph of V4. As far as I can tell the ONLY unimesh fit clothing that includes SF4 morphs is Courageous. Morph transfer still works.

Posted: 19 September 2013 07:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3398
Joined  2012-02-06
pwiecek - 19 September 2013 05:34 AM

She Freak is a 3rd generation unimesh stand alone character. Not a lot of clothing available. With a lot of fiddling morph transfer software will work for more clothing.

She Freak 2 is still 3rd generation unimesh but is now a morph of V3. Still not a lot of clothing. Since she’s now a morph, transfer software works with less fiddling.

She Freak 4 is a 4th generation unimesh character but, like all gen 4 females, is a morph of V4. As far as I can tell the ONLY unimesh fit clothing that includes SF4 morphs is Courageous. Morph transfer still works.

Ah, thanks for clarifying that as I was wondering about the history of She-Freak myself. Was the original She-Freak vaulted? All I see in the store is:
She-Freak 2 for V3 SAE and
She-Freak V4

I have edited the product list post to add She-Freak 2 for V3 SAE, Gia 6, and The Girl 6.

Signature 

Community Volunteer
Monthly New User Contests!

My tutorials and FAQs | My Gallery | My Render Thread
Visit my world… Tornalia.com | http://scottlivingston.deviantart.com

Posted: 19 September 2013 07:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3398
Joined  2012-02-06
dholm - 19 September 2013 05:12 AM

speaking of shopping. How do I know what to buy for Bree? or anyone else?  I only have what came with Studio 4.6 If something states It will work for Gen2 then will it work with my Bree? I never bought V5

Using Windows 7 64 bit Studio 4.6

Your Bree is a skin texture for Genesis 2 Female. It is the default skin texture. So you can use any product made for Genesis 2 Female—with one caveat: if the product is a character for Victoria 6, Gia 6, or The Girl 6, (or any future G2F person) then you need to own that product in order to use the character. Hair and Clothing for V6, Gia 6, The Girl 6, etc., should work fine on the basic Genesis 2 Female, and poses will work also but may require some adjustment if they were designed for a specific G2F person.

Regarding textures for earlier Victorias:

* IF you own the Victoria 4 for Genesis 2 Female product, then you can use ANY skin texture made for Victoria 4 and/or Victoria 5 on Genesis 2 Female. Some skins will need to be loaded onto V4 or Genesis and re-saved in .duf format before it will work on G2F.

* If you don’t own the Victoria 4 for Genesis 2 Female product, you can use any skin texture designed specifically for Victoria 5 on Genesis 2 Female, as long as it uses the V5 UV set—even if you don’t own V5. Unfortunately it isn’t always clear which UV set a character’s skin is designed for…best to ask, if the product description isn’t clear.

Signature 

Community Volunteer
Monthly New User Contests!

My tutorials and FAQs | My Gallery | My Render Thread
Visit my world… Tornalia.com | http://scottlivingston.deviantart.com

Posted: 19 September 2013 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
Scott-Livingston - 19 September 2013 07:30 AM

Ah, thanks for clarifying that as I was wondering about the history of She-Freak myself. Was the original She-Freak vaulted? All I see in the store is:
She-Freak 2 for V3 SAE and
She-Freak V4

I have edited the product list post to add She-Freak 2 for V3 SAE, Gia 6, and The Girl 6.

I think the original She Freak was a vaulting pioneer. The bulking up of the mesh without re-rigging led to terrible breaking at the shoulders. And then there was some sort of an argument between Daz, the PA and this community over rights. There were several attempts at an off the shelf substitute. Transferring David’s “Bulk” morph (and maybe 1 other) to Stephanie 3 Petite is the one I recall being popular

Personally, I wanted to like She Freak (the original) but she was simultaneously not feminine enough AND not freakish enough. I solved this by adding the (unfortunately no longer available) Kattiva morph. This combo almost worked with She Freak 2 but the shape of the top of the breasts had an odd slope that needed to be hidden.

Posted: 19 September 2013 10:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  151
Joined  2004-06-23

@ Scott

This is a wonderful resource and many thanks to you for posting this!!!

I’ve been working with outdoor scenes for many years in various software and have some experience with using animals but never messed with people. Now I have a need and bought the Carrara Pro upgrade partly to get V5 and M5 to fill my need. Until I found this I was in a sea of confusion. All my thumbs and toes up and a few dozen stars!!!

Posted: 01 October 2013 07:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2566
Joined  2004-04-25

In between Posette for P4 and Vicki there was Zygote’s Nude Young Woman figure.  I still have the invoice for it.  The original price along with a single texture is still scary. 

In the Zygote and even early DAZ days, models and texture pack were sold separately.  Gen 1/2 models had the morphs built in but did not come with textures, hair or clothing.  All separate purchases.  Gen 3 gave you the base model, period.  Originally, V3 and M3 didn’t even have expression morphs.  Those were added in later service releases.  Head and body morph packs were separate items.  You could purchase them individually or in bundles.  Again, no textures, clothing or hair included.  Gen 4 models included expression morphs, lo res texture, the family friendly purple bathing suit/brown shorts painted on texture.  The default family friendly texture also had hair texture on the head so at least Vicki didn’t look bald out of the box.

Signature 

“...not world enough nor time…” 

Posted: 01 October 2013 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

And the complaint about her not being freakish enough is certainly gone.

As far as the breakage of the mesh goes:

As I said, the original she freak didn’t get the re-rigging she should have gotten. This would have broken V3 clothing but they didn’t fit anyway.

Then there was a period where poser had a problem with not handling re-sizing morphs correctly (Actually, I think DS added this capability and poser didn’t catch it right away). Most of the forum conversation on this concerned the freak

Then Poser came out with a version that did handle re-sizing and the newest models work correctly.

2 of 5