Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
REALLY Need To Know About Version 4.6 As Genesis 2 Won’t Work Right V4.5
Posted: 20 June 2013 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6591
Joined  2012-09-10

All I remember is Jaderail trying to help someone and what he did with ease in V4.5 gave grayed out results (or was grayed out) in V4.6
That rang big time alarm bells.

Can you all tell me your experiences with version 4.6? I hate to change and of course, will put the 4.5 files (copy) in an external hard drive for backup, but another question is- is it possible to have two versions?  The DIM goes to another directory path (sorry, hope I am using the right terms there) and I could use the DIM with v4.6 (and Genesis 2) and still have version 4.5 where it is?  Or am I dealing with a huge amount of memory there?

Just not technical at all, as you well know.  I did buy the Genesis 2 and Victoria 6, THEN read it was version 4.6 and it doesn’t do well in 4.5 (the character had dark black circles under the eyes.

Signature 

SILO Step By Step
The Art Studio: Thread #4   Product Discussions
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 20 June 2013 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6187
Joined  2005-08-15

You cannot have DS4.5 and DS4.6 installed on the same machine, unless one is the 32 bit version and the other, the 64 bit version.

When (If) you install DS4.6, just point it to the current install location of your DS4.5 content folder, and everything will carry on as normal.

Posted: 20 June 2013 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  842
Joined  2004-04-05

I’m not sure what he was doing in 4.5 that wouldn’t work in 4.6. I will say I’ve not run into any issues with it.

The render engine seems to be a bit faster but that’s just a feeling no data to back it up. I also think that the viewport SEEMS a bit more sluggish than in 4.5 but again no data and I’m not positive I’m remembering correctly.

Posted: 20 June 2013 04:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10

Hi, back from the barn. Hopefully Jaderail will see this thread and fill us in on what it was. Since I frequent Commons, New Members threads, and Members Only (I know it wasn’t in that section) I can’t really surf back and find it. It was within the past week and a half though I think. I THINK it was new users section.

Okay, I’m going to go see if I can figure out what files are DS4.5 and copy them over to a hard drive first. Then I’ll go from there. I havent a CLUE what I’m doing! If I need help, I"ll let you know. Thanks everyone, appreciate you!
Cathie

Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 20 June 2013 04:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3372
Joined  2012-02-06

I use DS4.6 and haven’t had any significant problems with it. The best thread to read if you want info on 4.6, including issues that some have had (and solutions when available) is here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/22156/

Signature 

Community Volunteer
Monthly New User Contests!

My tutorials and FAQs | My Gallery | My Render Thread
Visit my world… Tornalia.com | http://scottlivingston.deviantart.com

Posted: 20 June 2013 06:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2202
Joined  2005-09-05
Novica - 20 June 2013 12:42 PM

All I remember is Jaderail trying to help someone and what he did with ease in V4.5 gave grayed out results (or was grayed out) in V4.6
That rang big time alarm bells.

Can you all tell me your experiences with version 4.6? I hate to change and of course, will put the 4.5 files (copy) in an external hard drive for backup, but another question is- is it possible to have two versions?  The DIM goes to another directory path (sorry, hope I am using the right terms there) and I could use the DIM with v4.6 (and Genesis 2) and still have version 4.5 where it is?  Or am I dealing with a huge amount of memory there?

Just not technical at all, as you well know.  I did buy the Genesis 2 and Victoria 6, THEN read it was version 4.6 and it doesn’t do well in 4.5 (the character had dark black circles under the eyes.

I didn’t convert until yesterday…the installation went well and I haven’t struck any issues so far with DS4.6 (fingers crossed it will stay that way.)

I just ran the installer didn’t have to do anything flash and I also installed it to a different drive than I had it on previously. I had been expecting problems which is why I hadn’t done it earlier.

Signature 

Shadermixer tutorials and recipes
My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 22 June 2013 12:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10

Just wanted to say I switched over last night and no issues at all. It’s just like downloading and installing a product- don’t know what I was expecting but I was like- “that was IT?”  I did not redo anything- the essentials, any products, nada. Everything working fine but I have only done basic things like opening figures, hair, etc.

Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 22 June 2013 11:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10

Well, I spoke too soon. I had my computer on (sleep) so when I shut it off today and turned my computer back on, 4.6 took forever to come on board, and it will not render AT ALL. What needs resetting? It says optimizing images and just stays at 0%

Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 23 June 2013 12:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22

Novica. I never had 4.5 and 4.6 both running. Not sure what you mean. But For me all I did was Uninstall Genesis Starter (Used DIM) then uninstalled CMS (so it would update also) Then Installed DS4.6 OVER DS4.5. Then I used DIM after I set it to DS4.6 only to install Genesis Starter and That updated the files to the newest of the New. I then Imported Metadata and was done. Everything works and I get no errors.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 23 June 2013 12:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10

Oh no- that’s not what I said. You were in 4.6, and I believe you were helping someone in the new users contest and when you went to assist them, it either gave you grayed out results or was grayed out. I saw it just today- I think it was the June new user contest. Let me read what you just wrote real quick, be back in a few. I reinstalled and am seeing if that worked.  When I installed it, it worked fine all day yesterday, last night, and today- my computer only went to sleep. But the minute I turned it off, I noticed the 4.6 was sluggish in coming on- and renders do nothing.

Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 23 June 2013 12:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10

Things are opening fast- I am trying a render.

Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 23 June 2013 12:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10

Well, good news bad news. Things lag behind. When I click to select a color, for instance, it lags then open ups the color palette. I am rendering though, and its quick. Thanks Jaderail, as usual.

BTW, Here’s the post- I found it.
http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/23114/P90/#351271

Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 23 June 2013 12:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

OH!! I meant for me I forgot to LOAD the TEXTURE into all the UBER Area Light channels. I did not add the Diffuse texture to ALL the Color channels for Area lights so It was washed out in my test renders. I should have said go read Szarks tutorial, (think it was not posted at that time) but if your getting LAG as you work I can find that info. Is a setting. I would post now but (DS4.6) is not my first choice. I use DS3A mostly. All these tips I give for 4+ I learn as I go too.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.

Posted: 23 June 2013 01:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10

I only switched to 4.6 because of stupid Genesis 2- and I am regretting it frankly. It is SO laggy that I can not click on a figure and move it- at all. There is a five to eight second delay before the character moves. What can I do to get rid of the lag?

Do I need to uninstall the essentials? (and where are they- I dont have anything labeled that in program files.) Should I do something with the content management?

Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 23 June 2013 01:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10

OMG- THIS IS HORRIBLE!
My figure (Cassini) is standing way in front of an Opus Magnum bookcase. (What in real life would be several FEET)  When I rotate her, every thing on the shelves (tucked back) GOES THROUGH HER HEAD AND HAIR.

How the heck do I get this stupid 4.6 version fixed? What files are supposed to be where, how do I get this fixed?

I have to get some sleep but I’ll check back in tomorrow. Everyone enjoy that huge moon in a few hours- before dawn it will glow orange. You should be able to see it well Jaderail- we’ve got clear skies down here in the deep south. If you have any ideas, I’ll read them in the morning. I need to know what program files are supposed to be where and where exactly the essentials are located so I can tackle this. I have installed twice. All 4.5 files are located elsewhere-external hard drive, not in C directory at all.

Image Attachments
cassiniHair.jpg
 Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 23 June 2013 02:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

LOL! Umm.. Novica, thats the ITEMS showing through the HAIR transparency maps. You Notice the HEAD is still solid? It just means that your GPU (Graphic Processor Unit/Card) is doing real time Trans Maps in DS4.6 instead of OpenGL sort of versions. As long as your Renders look right ignore the Trans Maps. They do act weird.

Content? Just keep the Folders you have and MAP them the same in DS4.6. It was done auto when I installed 4.6 over 4.5.

EDIT: What WAS that grey un-mapped item anyway?

Signature 

1 of 2