Digital Art Zone

1 of 11
Genesis 2 is not Genesis
Posted: 20 June 2013 02:32 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  443
Joined  0

Genesis was the answer to having a male figure and a female figure, as we had from generations 1 through 4. Suddenly we had Genesis, which was 1 figure made to morph into both male and female figures, the selling point of which was vastly increased clothing options because it was all made for 1 figure!

Now, its a male and female again. Thus, its no longer Genesis, therefore its not Genesis 2, its V5 and M5 (what’s currently called v5 and m5 are really just character morphs for genesis 1).

Anyway, wanted to make that distinction and point out that the new selling point, “The male and female specific bases not only allow for more masculine and feminine figures, but allow clothing to be designed more specifically for one or the other, rather than having to fit both. ” was the selling point of generation 4 which we were told was now way better with Genesis because clothing would now be designed to fit both! Amusing to the extreme.

Nonetheless, releasing female without male? Seriously?

Not buying it until Male shows up.

And Im still trying to see in what way this is a superior, next generation figure.

Posted: 20 June 2013 02:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2098
Joined  2003-10-09

I’m waiting for Genesis 3, it can morph into anything !!!!

Image Attachments
gumby.jpg

Posted: 20 June 2013 08:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  552
Joined  2003-10-09
sgreco1970 - 20 June 2013 02:32 AM

Its been that way for 14 years.

Posted: 20 June 2013 08:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2010-06-28
pwiecek - 20 June 2013 08:27 AM

But that’s just the point of the OP.

It has been that way for 14 years, that male/female where separated. The big invention of Genesis (1) was that the separation was gone.

Now the “apartheid” comes back! And it is again a “big invention”.

Provocative Question: When will Michael 3 come back as Michael 9 “invention”??

Posted: 20 June 2013 09:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2012-02-02

Didn’t Genesis 1 come with both female and male shapes? And the evolution morphs worked for both genders. Like OP said, V5 and M5 were just character morphs, but at least you can start making some male figures with Gen 1 right off the bat.

Posted: 20 June 2013 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1652
Joined  2008-11-10
Oridion - 20 June 2013 09:17 AM

Didn’t Genesis 1 come with both female and male shapes? And the evolution morphs worked for both genders. Like OP said, V5 and M5 were just character morphs, but at least you can start making some male figures with Gen 1 right off the bat.

You could make male characters, but they didn’t look that good.

M5 followed V5 about five or six months after her release.

Posted: 20 June 2013 09:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  139
Joined  2006-05-18
LycanthropeX - 20 June 2013 02:43 AM

LOL…i can see it now…the stay puft marshmallow man.

Signature 

Muze’s Store

Posted: 20 June 2013 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Let me restate that.

Why do you expect anything different?

People have been complaining about the lack of support for male characters for the entire 14 years and Daz has ignored them. EVERY generation has been the same.  Yes, Genesis had male & female at the same time, but when it came to V5 & M5 it was right back to Vicki first followed by Michael.

So, Its always been that way.
Its STILL that way.
Its ALWAYS going to be that way.
Forever.
Have a nice day.

Posted: 20 June 2013 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Oh yeah, I forgot…

...Most people prefer it that way.

Posted: 20 June 2013 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1245
Joined  2004-06-13

I don’t prefer it that way.  I can understand and tolerate there not being a Michael 6 now but to not have a Genesis 2 Male just seems strange.  It is one more reason why many of us feel this should not be called Genesis 2, more like MegaUltraMorph Female.

Signature 

Push buttons, see what happens!

Posted: 20 June 2013 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2098
Joined  2003-10-09

Mega Ultra Morph? so you want to call her Mum?

Posted: 20 June 2013 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2832
Joined  2010-11-30
LycanthropeX - 20 June 2013 02:43 AM

Mmmmmmm… Genesis Cow…

(Sockratease hasn’t shown up yet - somebody had to say it!)

Signature 

Rob Kelk (a.k.a. “the guy with all those freebie lists”)

Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki - rather small at the moment, but with big dreams to be the one-stop list for all D|S and Poser freebies

Come take part in the Freebie Challenge!

Posted: 22 June 2013 02:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2008-08-25

Just to step into the wayback machine a bit. V4 eventually added male morphs, but the M4 figure never had female morphs that I know of. The V4 males never looked very male and few PA created characters based on those morphs, but they were there if you wanted to use them.  Why would you really want to spend the time creating male characters for V4’s male morphs when you could spend the time creating them for M4 and make the character look far better.  I’m sure that the seed for Genesis likely spawned when someone realized the potential of creating both male and female morphs on the same V4 figure.  So, they expanded the idea into Genesis.

So, yes, I do believe the base Genesis figure came with basic male and basic female shapes. You still had to get more morphs to extend the characteristics of the genders.

However, I could be wrong, but I believe that Daz’s plan may be to supply the Genesis 2 base with whatever figure you are buying.  So, when M6 comes out, they’ll again supply a new Genesis 2 figure that supplies the male characteristics. Does that mean there will be two Genesis 2 figures on the system?  Who knows. Possibly. I’m personally a fan of the V4 and M4 figure types where they are standalone figures. I understand the want to create a single figure base, but that is at the expense of some flexibility of the figure. V4 and M4 had much more thorough facial morphs than Genesis has ever had. As technologically advanced an idea as Genesis was, it lacked in certain areas that just never got addressed.

Perhaps they can finally be addressed in the Genesis 2 figure.

Signature 

Brian

Posted: 22 June 2013 05:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1603
Joined  2010-02-14
pwiecek - 20 June 2013 10:28 AM

Oh yeah, I forgot…

...Most people prefer it that way.

Of course. Why? Because the eye-rolling reality of the matter is that DAZ is 3D, and 3D is a man’s world. It’s changing, but it’s still a dominating statistic. DAZ 3D Studio allows it’s consumers to buy content that will allow them to visualize their creativity with 3D mesh. And what do most men like to visualize about more than anything?

commorancy - 22 June 2013 02:28 AM

Just to step into the wayback machine a bit. V4 eventually added male morphs, but the M4 figure never had female morphs that I know of. The V4 males never looked very male and few PA created characters based on those morphs, but they were there if you wanted to use them.  Why would you really want to spend the time creating male characters for V4’s male morphs when you could spend the time creating them for M4 and make the character look far better.  I’m sure that the seed for Genesis likely spawned when someone realized the potential of creating both male and female morphs on the same V4 figure.  So, they expanded the idea into Genesis.

So, yes, I do believe the base Genesis figure came with basic male and basic female shapes. You still had to get more morphs to extend the characteristics of the genders.

However, I could be wrong, but I believe that Daz’s plan may be to supply the Genesis 2 base with whatever figure you are buying.  So, when M6 comes out, they’ll again supply a new Genesis 2 figure that supplies the male characteristics. Does that mean there will be two Genesis 2 figures on the system?  Who knows. Possibly. I’m personally a fan of the V4 and M4 figure types where they are standalone figures. I understand the want to create a single figure base, but that is at the expense of some flexibility of the figure. V4 and M4 had much more through facial morphs than Genesis has ever had. As technologically advanced an idea as Genesis was, it lacked in certain areas that just never got addressed.

There will definitely be a Genesis 2 Male with Michael 6. DAZ themselves mentions it in V6’s promo page.

But here’s the thing. What couldn’t Genesis do that couldn’t have eventually had the appropriate support created for it? Better face morphs, bends, gender-specific details, etc. are things things that could have been easily done with another gender-neutral figure with the same higher polymesh count and rigging as G2F has. G1 could become all sorts of things humanoid; from an ogre, a series of monstrous creatures, to an Anubis, and more. It even had a series of animal heads. So I fail to see the limitation of flexibility. DAZ 3D even received an award for Genesis for being “the most versatile 3D modeling character yet”! Versatility IS flexibility, for if you restrict or reduce the range of something, you are reducing its flexibility.

Signature 

“I’m sorry, I can’t hear you over the sound of how awesome I am!” ~ Brextor Ultimus

FORUM MEMBER POST RANKS
New Member = 0
Member = 25
Active Member = 250
Power Member = 1000
Addict = 2500

My Art Studio

Posted: 22 June 2013 08:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  443
Joined  2012-12-18

Of course. Why? Because the eye-rolling reality of the matter is that DAZ is 3D, and 3D is a man’s world. It’s changing, but it’s still a dominating statistic. DAZ 3D Studio allows it’s consumers to buy content that will allow them to visualize their creativity with 3D mesh. And what do most men like to visualize about more than anything?
Uh, you do realize that there is a MASSIVE female userbase for Poser and Daz, right?  In fact, itr appears as though the vast majority of human figure morphs/accessories/textures/etc vendors are female.
The females are more popular for two major reasons:
1. Sexy eyecandy for the guys
2. Virtual paperdolls for the gals

I’ve found, at least with freebie vendors, that you can often tell if they’re male or female based on whether or not they offer a microbikini or similar fetishwear >_>

Posted: 22 June 2013 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2010-06-28
commorancy - 22 June 2013 02:28 AM

I doubt that and after Genesis 1 was going the one direction and 2 now goes the other—either they just don’t know where to go, or—and that is just the smell of it!—it is just a way to make more money with another generation of figures, where you have to buy everything again from scratch.

Thats also the reason, I still did not jump onto the Genesis bandwagon—and after release of Genesis 2 I find myself did just right!

1 of 11