Victoria 6 has been released.
Posted: 21 June 2013 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 346 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3521
Joined  2012-02-06
chohole - 21 June 2013 10:59 AM
cecilia.robinson - 21 June 2013 10:05 AM

DAZ Studio’s history interests me a lot. I heard about the company once working for Smith Micro and then separating

That is somewhat inaccurate. DAZ 3D made the first figures for Poser, way back in it’s history, when Poser was owned by Creative Labs.

The break with that tradition came when Creative Labs decided to change direction and Poser was sold to a consortium called “Curious Labs” who produced P5. I won’t go into that debacle in any more detail.

Curious Labs failed and sold Poser to E frontier and they in turn sold it to Smith Micro.

Daz Studio came into being around the time pf the P5/Curious Labs era.

Coincidentally, I very recently wrote this history of DAZ figures, which I’ve now posted to the New User Forum. Hope you find it helpful!

Signature 

Community Volunteer
Monthly New User Contests!

My tutorials and FAQs | My Gallery | My Render Thread
Visit my world… Tornalia.com | http://scottlivingston.deviantart.com

Posted: 21 June 2013 11:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 347 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2829
Joined  2006-07-31
BTLProductions - 21 June 2013 10:40 AM

You do realize that Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 are both in the same DUF file format right?

For now, yes, completely same format. And as I said, it would be highly improbable to drop support for a figure that can be adjusted to whatever new technology would be coming with the most ease from purely technical standpoint.

Signature 

Original Genesis shape and Genesis morphs transfer to G2F/G2M, G2F/G2M clones for Genesis
a way to transfer morphs to Genesis without Gen-X

Posted: 21 June 2013 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 348 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  749
Joined  2005-12-12
Gedd - 21 June 2013 01:14 AM

Yes, I can see where the misunderstanding is, and it is my fault. Your post mentioned “(little) support already….” which for some reason I overlooked.

Heh! Hard not overlooking things in the plethora of threads and wall-of-text-posts around here (not that I am innocent in that regard ^^)

I don’t see the split in support a bad thing because I see the two serving different markets and because I don’t see the lack of support you do. That is probably partially due to the fact that what I pick up from the stores is supplemental. Also, I see the market as a dynamic area that is opening for growth and more PA’s being able to come into the marketplace. In other words, where you see lack of support, I see potential for growth and opportunity. I’m not saying you are wrong, just that because we are coming at this from different perspectives, we see a different win/loss perspective.

Well first off, thanks for your reply. It’s nice to read a well-written and balanced post once in a while (someone has to balance out my inarticulate rage and hate-speech, I guess ;D). I respect your position and even though I don’t share your - might I say? - optimism, I sure hope you are right, that this is a good thing in the end. If Genesis 1 and 2 find a large number of eager and creative new content creators for them - that would be great. It’s just that after what happened following the release of Genesis 1, I don’t think this is going to happen. There have been some new artists who did great new stuff for Genesis and some older ones who really started to shine with Genesis. But compared to what has been going on with V4 during the same time - I wouldn’t say Genesis has really summoned an influx of new content creators. The greatest part of content creators for V4 did not switch to Genesis. Despite that, the greatest part of content creators for Genesis were or still are content creators for V4.

I don’t see Genesis 2 really breaking down any walls here. If it was compatible with Poser - that would be big and might have changed the game, no questions asked. But the way things are now? I don’t think there will be too many new artists. I think Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 will now have to share the Genesis 1 market. Some artists will leave. Some new ones will come. But I think V6’s most common UV set will be V4. And her clothes will most autofitted V4 and V5 clothes. And that is not thriving support for a new figure and it is not a step forward and I hope I am wrong.

I will summarize what I was referring to about previous posts… I see Genesis 1 as fundamentally different then Gen6… as others have also mentioned since (my original posting.) I see Gen6 as the successors to the previous Gen1-4. I personally wish they hadn’t referred to V6 as Genesis 2 as it is my perspective that Genesis is a fundamentally different vision and should continue to grow tangentially and separate from the more specific Gen(X) lines. It has to do with specialization vs generalization… there is room for both, as they serve different functions.

If one sees a limited set of resources for generating content for the two, this could be an unhappy tradeoff. If one takes the approach of trying to equip their specialized characters with the whole gamut of more generalized clothing etc… again, it is an unhappy tradeoff.

However, if DAZ did take the approach of keeping the Genesis line and the Gen(X) lines going but separate, people could choose either platform or both depending on their specific goals… at that point, it would just be a matter of whether new PA’s in the market could keep up with providing content for both lines.

The final issue with this equation is, will the market support PA’s generating content for two lines… Again, here I see a market that is ripe for growth where this would be the case, but I realize I could be wrong. I am betting part of my livelihood on it however (that the 3D market is ripe for growth.)

I agree. I believe Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 can serve different roles (although V5 now seems utterly useless). And I, too, think Genesis 2 should just haven been called V6.

I also think it’s not up to DAZ any more. Now the ball is in the PA’s court to decide whether or not to embrace V6. But why would anyone create V6 clothing, when they can just create V5 or even V4 clothing and say: “Want V6 clothing - meh, just use autofit!”. In the end, the majority of V5 characters by my estimate - are V4 characters with a subpar Genesis morph. If this is the situation now, what is going to happen with an additional figure? And will three different figures (V4, the Poser figure, Genesis, the Jack of all Trades, and Genesis 2, the realistic figure) each find a strong enough customer base to justify specialized content? I am not sure. I wish you the best of luck, though, and hope that your, well, ‘bet’ pays off.

[Edit] In the vision I have, I would like to see Genesis grow to be instance friendly, like ‘Send in the Clones’ on steroids, but resource friendly… something that could take advantage of it’s flexibility to fill out crowd scenes with a semi automated method similar to VUE’s ability to ‘paint’ trees, plants, etc… across a landscape, but with characters in an area such as the seating of a circus tent complete with varying shapes and clothing within predefined parameters. If anyone isn’t familiar with what I’m referring to with VUE, I highly recommend looking at a couple/few videos of their Dynamic Ecosystem at either their site or YouTube. Then think of that, but with people/outfits/morphs… This vision is a ways off, but Genesis is on the right track for being able to eventually do something like that it would seem. This end goal is fundamentally different then trying to get the most realistic human possible, like the difference in the cherry blossom in a background tree is to a closeup of the cherry blossom. Putting the detail of a closeup blossom into a tree with thousands of blossoms, then replicating that tree would not only be unfeasible, but a waste of resources. I would like ‘realistic’ background characters, such as Genesis, but I would also like ‘hyper-realistic’ characters for closeup and main character functions.

Well, I don’t have VUE, but I did see some VUE renders. DAMN, this thing is powerful. And yes, this might be the path Genesis is headed.

Posted: 21 June 2013 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 349 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1218
Joined  2012-10-10

Thanks again, Chohole and Scott. I don’t recognize the companies’ full names so well, so I’ll just sum it up I thought about the company that invented and sells Poser. Now I’m off to reading Scott’s essay smile. Splendid!

Posted: 21 June 2013 01:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 350 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  244
Joined  2006-01-03
cecilia.robinson - 21 June 2013 11:56 AM

Thanks again, Chohole and Scott. I don’t recognize the companies’ full names so well, so I’ll just sum it up I thought about the company that invented and sells Poser. Now I’m off to reading Scott’s essay smile. Splendid!

Creative Labs bought Poser, they didn’t create it, Both Bryce and Poser were made by Meta-Creations. Daz picked up the rights to several programs, namely Bryce and Cararra, and Poser bounced companies till Smith Micro picked it up.

Signature 

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

My Daz Gallery
My DeviantArt Gallery.

Posted: 21 June 2013 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 351 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15648
Joined  2003-10-09

I am a poser user, so I guess I would tend to know more. Have copies of poser from each of the companies I mentioned. In fact I was one of the people who got caught up in the P5 hype, the one and only time I have been an “early adopter”.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        L Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        August Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 21 June 2013 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 352 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  66
Joined  2005-09-01
Kattey - 21 June 2013 11:13 AM

You do realize that Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 are both in the same DUF file format right?

For now, yes, completely same format. And as I said, it would be highly improbable to drop support for a figure that can be adjusted to whatever new technology would be coming with the most ease from purely technical standpoint.

Then why make the claim that DAZ will drop support for one, when you know that isn’t even possible since they are the same format.

Posted: 21 June 2013 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 353 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1301
Joined  2004-02-13
Scott-Livingston - 21 June 2013 11:07 AM

Coincidentally, I very recently wrote this history of DAZ figures, which I’ve now posted to the New User Forum. Hope you find it helpful!

Really nicely done Scott! Thanks so much for doing that! I am sure lots of people will find it a huge help. smile

Signature 

Aundrea M Anderson (ann0314) (ARTCollaborations) (ARTCollab)
DAZ3D Community Volunteer Program Manager
DAZ3D PA/Customer Relations Liaison
Co-Owner of ARTCollaborations

Posted: 21 June 2013 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 354 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-07-31
BTLProductions - 21 June 2013 01:54 PM

Then why make the claim that DAZ will drop support for one, when you know that isn’t even possible since they are the same format.

You confuse me with somebody probably? I don’t recall making such claim. Can you tell me which post it was, so I can explain what I meant?

Signature 

Original Genesis shape and Genesis morphs transfer to G2F/G2M, G2F/G2M clones for Genesis

Posted: 21 June 2013 02:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 355 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15648
Joined  2003-10-09
Madbat - 21 June 2013 01:17 PM

Creative Labs bought Poser, they didn’t create it, Both Bryce and Poser were made by Meta-Creations. Daz picked up the rights to several programs, namely Bryce and Cararra, and Poser bounced companies till Smith Micro picked it up.

Ok I got muddled there, Thanks for the correction meant to say Metacreations. Creative labs had nothing to do with Poser.

Meta tools made Bryce, Fractal designs made Poser, and they merged, with another couple of Companies including Ray Dream to form MetaCreations.  Carrara (previously RayDream Studio) went to Eovia and Bryce went to Corel when MetaCreations sold them off.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        L Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        August Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 21 June 2013 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 356 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-02-13
Kattey - 21 June 2013 02:15 PM

You confuse me with somebody probably? I don’t recall making such claim. Can you tell me which post it was, so I can explain what I meant?

I think he was meaning previously in this thread (or maybe it was another) where you were worrying support for Genesis 1 could possibly be dropped and had inquired about it but I think that was answered then and the discussion has moved on from there :O)

OT: Anyone done any renders of V6 yet that they want to share? Maybe some comparison renders between V5 and V6 with what you notice has changed etc? Just some various comparisons. With skin, without…in certain poses…general shape. Etc Might be nice to see some more of that smile

Signature 

Posted: 21 June 2013 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 357 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  961
Joined  2003-10-09

It’s disappointing V6 still has sticky breasts.

Posted: 21 June 2013 02:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 358 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-02-13
TimG - 21 June 2013 02:30 PM

It’s disappointing V6 still has sticky breasts.

I hadn’t felt them to notice…thanks for the warning though it will save me from an awkward moment later *snicker* OK bad joke aside LOL

Sticky breasts? In what way? Could you post a render of what you mean? Just be sure if you post a render, don’t put any texture on her or gens etc

Signature 

Posted: 21 June 2013 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 359 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  458
Joined  2012-08-17

A render of Victoria 6 with some dials spun on her face to give her a few sharper features.

Image Attachments
test20130620-9-final.jpg
 Signature 

My DAZ Gallery

http://vanguard-studio.deviantart.com/

Posted: 21 June 2013 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 360 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-07-31
DAZ_ann0314 - 21 June 2013 02:22 PM
Kattey - 21 June 2013 02:15 PM

I think he was meaning previously in this thread (or maybe it was another) where you were worrying support for Genesis 1 could possibly be dropped and had inquired about it but I think that was answered then and the discussion has moved on from there :O)

I theorized on what was possible and what wasn’t making sense but never claimed any of it will be true.

Signature 

24 of 39