19 of 39
Victoria 6 has been released.
Posted: 20 June 2013 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 271 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  840
Joined  2005-12-12
Gedd - 20 June 2013 07:18 AM
Barubary - 20 June 2013 07:11 AM

...It’ll be interesting to see just how many content creators jump on the gen6-wagon and how many stay with gen5. Imagine a world where Genesis gets half the support of what (little) it does now and Genesis 2 the other half…

I suspect this will be the case actually, per my previous posts. I also pointed out why this isn’t necessarily a bad thing in the same posts.

I did search the forum for your posts, but I can’t really find anything related to this. If you have the extra time, maybe you could explain to me how splitting a very small amount of content between two figures in going benefit either of them in the long run. I honestly don’t get it.

Posted: 20 June 2013 05:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 272 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2798
Joined  2006-07-31

BaruBary, I think for a while at least, male and unisex clothes will be made for Genesis only. Any official G2M shape is far ahead and even when it would be released (if at all), autofit will be able to pick up most Genesis-specific clothes for G2 because most of male clothes are closer to bodysuit than female ones anyway so vendors will catch both bases at once.

Signature 

Original Genesis shape and Genesis morphs transfer to G2F/G2M, G2F/G2M clones for Genesis
a way to transfer morphs to Genesis without Gen-X

Posted: 20 June 2013 06:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 273 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  431
Joined  2013-03-26

I am pleased so far. I now await Michael 6!

Signature 

My gallery~
http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#galleries/166/

Posted: 20 June 2013 06:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 274 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  840
Joined  2005-12-12
Kattey - 20 June 2013 05:46 PM

BaruBary, I think for a while at least, male and unisex clothes will be made for Genesis only. Any official G2M shape is far ahead and even when it would be released (if at all), autofit will be able to pick up most Genesis-specific clothes for G2 because most of male clothes are closer to bodysuit than female ones anyway so vendors will catch both bases at once.

That’s a good point actually.

I guess, even for V6 one could use Autofit as an argument that both, Gen1 and Gen2 will continue to see some support.

However, do we really want to start counting ‘clothes that can be autofitted to Genesis 2’ as actual Genesis 2 content? I mean I never heard anyone saying: See how much Renderosity supports Genesis - you can autofit all the V4 clothes released over there to Genesis. Also it seems to me that dressing a character that’s specifically made to escape the downsides of unified male/female/gelgamek shape in clothing that’s based on said unified shape…well it kinda defeats the purpose, doesn’t it?

Also,personally, I don’t trust autofit that much. Granted, I haven’t used it much, so my opinion is worth very little, here. However there have been some rather critical posts by cwichura on the topic and he happens to be someone whose opinion I hold in very high regard. Also, I’ve seen so many renders in the past which were supposed to prove how great this or that outfit had been autofitted to Genesis, which made me go “err….really?”, that I guess I’m just more inclined to listen to the negative voices.

Posted: 20 June 2013 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 275 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3802
Joined  2012-02-06
Hellboy - 20 June 2013 03:25 PM

Can someone explain this again?:

Why would a new user should pick Genesis 2 over Genesis?
Or why me as a Genesis user would spend on Genesis 2 and the content needed to get (some of) the basic functionality of the original Genesis?

I mean, I can see the big disadvantages of Genesis 2 compared to the original Genesis, but what does it offers to compensate for them? I’m still missing it and the thread got long.

For me the value of Genesis 2 is that it allows for a more detailed and lifelike female figure. And that’s something that’s important for many users—for some, that’s what is most important. As more Genesis 2 products come out, its value will only grow, just as happened for Genesis.

I still prefer the flexibility and universality of the original Genesis though. I’ll be using both figures…but more often Genesis 1 for the foreseeable future.

Fortunately new users (and not so new users) have access to both, and can choose whichever figure is more fitting for their purposes.

Signature 

Community Volunteer
Monthly New User Contests!

My tutorials and FAQs | My Gallery | My Render Thread
Visit my world… Tornalia.com | http://scottlivingston.deviantart.com

Posted: 20 June 2013 06:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 276 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  439
Joined  2010-09-18
Richard Haseltine - 20 June 2013 03:00 PM
Richard Haseltine - 20 June 2013 01:39 PM
Bopperthijs - 20 June 2013 01:28 PM
chohole - 20 June 2013 01:17 PM

51% off is right for 30% intro plus 30% PC, and 58% off would be yesterday’s 40% PC carrying over to today possibly

Then I must have missed something, because when I checked in yesterday (22.00 GMT) it wasn’t for sale.
Ah, whatever, I just bought her.

There was an extra 10% on the Platinum Club discount for DAZ Originals yesterday - it’s possible that it ran on into today. I have sent a query in to DAZ and if I get a definite answer I will let you know, but for now I think it probably was the end of the additional PC discount that you saw.

I’m afraid the 51% discount is correct - those who bought at 58% off enjoyed an unintended bonus.

Ah, that would explain why it was cheaper this morning, I possibly should have bought it then.  Sigh.  I don’t ask for much, but when I want to buy something, I wish that the merchant would be consistently clear, and fair.  It seems like DAZ has had an awful lot of store goofs and loopholes, etc., and frankly, it gets really discouraging.  You see something, think about it for just a few hours, and decide to purchase it, bang, it’s suddenly more expensive.  Not a day later, not a week later, but a couple of hours, with no indicator that there was a time limit.  I’m sorry, but that seems sloppy.  Grumble, mumble.  I suddenly feel a lot less like purchasing, not because of a 51% vs 58% price delta, but more the fact that I expect a bit of consistency.

Posted: 20 June 2013 06:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 277 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  186
Joined  2010-04-04
Mr Gneiss Guy - 20 June 2013 06:19 PM

51% off is right for 30% intro plus 30% PC, and 58% off would be yesterday’s 40% PC carrying over to today possibly

Then I must have missed something, because when I checked in yesterday (22.00 GMT) it wasn’t for sale.

There was an extra 10% on the Platinum Club discount for DAZ Originals yesterday - it’s possible that it ran on into today. I have sent a query in to DAZ and if I get a definite answer I will let you know, but for now I think it probably was the end of the additional PC discount that you saw.

I’m afraid the 51% discount is correct - those who bought at 58% off enjoyed an unintended bonus.

Ah, that would explain why it was cheaper this morning, I possibly should have bought it then.  Sigh.  I don’t ask for much, but when I want to buy something, I wish that the merchant would be consistently clear, and fair.  It seems like DAZ has had an awful lot of store goofs and loopholes, etc., and frankly, it gets really discouraging.  You see something, think about it for just a few hours, and decide to purchase it, bang, it’s suddenly more expensive.  Not a day later, not a week later, but a couple of hours, with no indicator that there was a time limit.  I’m sorry, but that seems sloppy.  Grumble, mumble.  I suddenly feel a lot less like purchasing, not because of a 51% vs 58% price delta, but more the fact that I expect a bit of consistency.

Hey, look at it this way:  Compared to where we were this time last year, this is a picnic.

Posted: 20 June 2013 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 278 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2006-04-13
Scott-Livingston - 20 June 2013 06:18 PM
Hellboy - 20 June 2013 03:25 PM

Can someone explain this again?:

Why would a new user should pick Genesis 2 over Genesis?
Or why me as a Genesis user would spend on Genesis 2 and the content needed to get (some of) the basic functionality of the original Genesis?

I mean, I can see the big disadvantages of Genesis 2 compared to the original Genesis, but what does it offers to compensate for them? I’m still missing it and the thread got long.

For me the value of Genesis 2 is that it allows for a more detailed and lifelike female figure. And that’s something that’s important for many users—for some, that’s what is most important. As more Genesis 2 products come out, its value will only grow, just as happened for Genesis.

I still prefer the flexibility and universality of the original Genesis though. I’ll be using both figures…but more often Genesis 1 for the foreseeable future.

Fortunately new users (and not so new users) have access to both, and can choose whichever figure is more fitting for their purposes.

For me Genisis’s unimesh provided a easy way to do the mitple races in my game project. Once i get it to work with Java i can manipulate the mesh and morph it for 80% of the races withonly the esoteric ones like Centaurs needing a different mesh but if I go Gen 2 suddenly i need 2 different meshes for that 80% and half of them wont be viable anway. Can i make a dwarf? A gnome? No there is no child morph. What about a lizard creature? Gorilla? Nope, nope, nope.

Then we have my movie project which has a guy actidently changed into a woman, cant do that with g2. So for litterly everything i want to do G2 is the compelty wrong product, 2000 more polies and a better morphs or not

Posted: 20 June 2013 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 279 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  162
Joined  2007-11-09

Maybe just like every other store it is being staffed by students that are working to pay their way through college and just for fun the switch the labels around to relieve boredom.

Signature 

Eternity’s my home, the Universe my backyard, my mind is a playground, so let’s make it all art. tongue laugh
My little gallery: http://lbamagic.deviantart.com

Posted: 20 June 2013 06:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 280 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  439
Joined  2010-09-18
diogenese19348 - 20 June 2013 06:33 PM

Hey, look at it this way:  Compared to where we were this time last year, this is a picnic.

I don’t know, I used to be a DAZ booster, but lately, they are making it really hard.

Posted: 20 June 2013 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 281 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  554
Joined  2011-04-12
Kattey - 20 June 2013 04:05 PM

As for making “gender specific” clothes as a benefit… judging from V4 catalog on Renderosity in last two years it will be mostly skimwear. From experience of previous years I don’t see how “gender-specific” outfits would benefit people who prefer to render non-females.

Or, for that matter, non-adult females.

Image Attachments
130614a.png
 Signature 

Not interested in the giant leap backwards that is “Genesis 2”.

Posted: 20 June 2013 06:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 282 ]
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2007-11-20
Slosh - 20 June 2013 05:24 PM

I don’t think anyone is supposed to pick Genesis 2 over Genesis.  As I see it, Gen2 is just a new figure, just as Victoria 4 was, Michael 4 was, Genesis was.  There is room for both Geneses in the runtime.

Some good points and I don’t regret my Genesis investment either.  But as for you point above, I have to disagree.  Sure, we have a choice RIGHT NOW… but next year?  The history of Studio updates requiring new Genesis Updates show that unless DAZ is willing to divert their limited resources on “tweaking” an old model, at Some point, they will drop Genesis.  They were ready to drop V4 support for Gen2 until a PA came to our rescue.

This means your old Genesis will simply NOT LOAD in a future Studio.

Of course, we can always choose not to upgrade Studio at that point.  Who needs those nifty improvements in rendering or speed?  It’s a matter of time before we are forced to choose between the old Studio with Genesis or the latest Studio without it.  And when that time comes, a PA will be unable to save the day.

Posted: 20 June 2013 07:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 283 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2798
Joined  2006-07-31

Murgatroyd, Or very adult females who can’t walk around in leotards and chainmail bikinis.

Signature 

Original Genesis shape and Genesis morphs transfer to G2F/G2M, G2F/G2M clones for Genesis
a way to transfer morphs to Genesis without Gen-X

Posted: 20 June 2013 07:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 284 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  366
Joined  2011-05-27

I really don’t understand what all the arguments are about.  I think the new Genesis 2 Female is fabulous!!  I mean, just look at this great shape!!

::wink wink wink::

P.S.  Just trying to lighten the mood so don’t hate me.

LOL

Image Attachments
genesis2.jpg
 Signature 

DAZ Studio 4 Pro user, Poser Pro 2012 user, Bryce 7 Pro user, Vue 8 Complete user, Photoshop CS4 user.

Posted: 20 June 2013 07:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 285 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2010-08-06

It’s raining ... men?

19 of 39