Digital Art Zone

3 of 4
How do you deal with 3rd parties who want to see proof that you payed the fee for licensed 3d models?
Posted: 17 June 2013 07:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  655
Joined  2011-03-26

edited and removed by user

Signature 

DAZ User Gallery / Facebook / Deviant Art

Posted: 17 June 2013 08:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4806
Joined  2011-10-04
Gedd - 17 June 2013 06:27 AM

That was mentioned by Richard previously, and as he stated… the only known example of that sort (for clarification.)

Here’s another with a bit of complication tossed in: Buccaneer for Genesis.

Signature 

Remembering Jaderail. Rest, my friend.
My DeviantArt page.
My DAZ Studio 4 freebies.
My ramblings/blog

Posted: 17 June 2013 08:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3143
Joined  2004-04-25
Skiriki - 17 June 2013 08:07 AM

That was mentioned by Richard previously, and as he stated… the only known example of that sort (for clarification.)

Well that’s a product I’m not going to be buying anytime soon.  Now I’ll have to make a note to check the wiki for every other one of the vendor’s textures to see if this is the only one or if all of them have it.  This is the type of information that should be clearly listed on the product page so those of us who need to consider the ramifications of such things.

Signature 

“...not world enough nor time…” 

Posted: 17 June 2013 08:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  656
Joined  2011-02-03
icprncss - 17 June 2013 08:21 AM

Well that’s a product I’m not going to be buying anytime soon.  Now I’ll have to make a note to check the wiki for every other one of the vendor’s textures to see if this is the only one or if all of them have it.  This is the type of information that should be clearly listed on the product page so those of us who need to consider the ramifications of such things.

I agree with this statement. I need to go back and check all the products I bought and check the future ones as well. And why buy a product if you can not use the textures created with it?

Signature 

My DAZ Gallery http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/users/68
My deviantART http://kitashrak.deviantart.com/

Posted: 17 June 2013 08:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4687
Joined  2011-11-25
Richard Haseltine - 17 June 2013 05:19 AM

The outfit that had a no commercial use restriction was in the old free Archive, not in the store. That area hosted several non-DAZ freebies (Questor’s weapon sets, for example) that had their own EULAs. The only store product that has a more restrictive EULA than the usual DAZ version, as far as I am aware, is the Ann Marie Goddard Digital Clone for V3 (if it’s still in the store); there are also a few merchant-resource sets that have less restrictive EULAs with respect to redistribution in modified form.

Thanks Richard. I was worried. I don’t usually look for usage policies for daz items, and was wondering if I needed to start doing so. That would be tiresome =-)

Posted: 17 June 2013 08:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-25

Thanks for pointing that out. guess I’ll uninstall that product. I don’t want any item I cannot use commercially in my runtime. =-/

This should be made very clear on the page commercial use of textures NOT OKAY.

I don’t think customers should have to research every product bought at daz. Especially when there aren’t always readme’s.

Posted: 17 June 2013 08:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  17066
Joined  2003-10-09

That is not how I read the CG textures commercial license. I see it as not being able to distribute the actual textures, not images that include textures which have been made with CG textures resources. And I did investigate this before I, amongst many others I am sure, started using CG textures as a texture resource.

I have used the textures on a 3D model/scene. Am I allowed to sell the model/scene and textures as a bundle?
Yes, under the following condition: You have customized the textures for the 3D-model or scene, and you are selling the model and texture in one package. Please add the following text in the documentation accompanying the model:

“One or more textures on this 3D-model have been created with images from CGTextures.com. These images may not be redistributed by default. Please visit www.cgtextures.com for more information.”

Automatically if you have used the texture resource (which is what they are meaning by image in this case) as part of the texture for a model you have customised it.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 17 June 2013 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-04

I have to say that CGTexture’s license is confusing at times, and that text doesn’t really help. :/ I just know that it did make me wonder about WTH I can do with them.

Signature 

My DeviantArt page.
My ramblings/blog

Posted: 17 June 2013 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3143
Joined  2004-04-25
chohole - 17 June 2013 08:40 AM

That is not how I read the CG textures commercial license. I see it as not being able to distribute the actual textures, not images that include textures which have been made with CG textures resources. And I did investigate this before I, amongst many others I am sure, started using CG textures as a texture resource.

Since the DAZ EULA does not permit the redistribution of textures the only reason for adding the extra qualifier means raises a red flag.  A red flag I don’t have time to deal with but will have to. 

Maybe it’s not a problem and maybe it is.  I don’t even have to call down to Legal to know what they will tell me.  Err on the side of caution and get it out of the catalog.  Then double check every other product by the same vendor.

Signature 

“...not world enough nor time…” 

Posted: 17 June 2013 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1856
Joined  2008-02-14

Purchasers at the DAZ store never acquire the right to redistribute the textures or the models themselves included in a DAZ product,  they acquire the right to 2D render or 2D animate the product for commercial purposes. The finished 2D artistic output is what you have rights to.  All that CGTextures readme notation does is gives all customers/users the heads up that though you can use the DAZ products for renders and animation in commercial uses,  if you try to redistribute the actual textures illegally,  you’ll be dealing with both DAZ and another company entity that will perhaps take legal action against you.  Proper commercial use.

Signature 

PUBLISHED ARTIST
First Bastion’s Environments here at Daz

Posted: 17 June 2013 09:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Please read the edits I have made to my post, including quoting a part of CG textures own FAQs regarding just this exact matter.

What is causing the problem here is CG textures use of the word “image” for a texture resource. If you read their complete license you will see they use the word image to describe the textures offered on their site.

There is no ambiguity at all apart from this usage of the word image, which is not the same way we as 3d artists use the word..

Basically all CG textures are saying is the they want people to give them credit for using their collection of textures, and to state that unmodified textures cannot be re-distributed.

The logical place to give the credit is on the readme page. And as FB says, it is simply a reinforcement to the DAZ 3D EULA , but does not change it.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge

Posted: 17 June 2013 09:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-25

I don’t understand that really. I wish the usage rights were in layman’s terms. What can a user use these items for is all I really want to know. Can I make a render and sell it commercially? Can that simply be said in the product readme?

For me, I’ll just avoid products with extra strings attached that refer me to outside companies. I don’t want to research products or read some other companies terms of use before I buy.

Who knows when they’ll change their usage terms, or whether I’ll miss something.

Posted: 17 June 2013 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-04

All right, thanks for helping with that, Chohole. Sorry to bring it up out of blue, but I had been puzzled by that thing for a while.

Signature 

My DeviantArt page.
My ramblings/blog

Posted: 17 June 2013 09:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
SereneNight - 17 June 2013 09:15 AM

I don’t understand that really. I wish the usage rights were in layman’s terms. What can a user use these items for is all I really want to know. Can I make a render and sell it commercially? Can that simply be said in the product readme?

For me, I’ll just avoid products with extra strings attached that refer me to outside companies. I don’t want to research products or read some other companies terms of use before I buy.

Who knows when they’ll change their usage terms, or whether I’ll miss something.

Yes, CG textures bit is not changing the DAZ 3D EULA.  so selling a render is no problem, you do not need to worry about that.

All CG textures are asking is that people who use the actual textures (which they call images for some strange reason) when creating their own product do give the credit, which this vendor has done in their readme.

People are making a whole load of fuss about nothing here.

The only thing that is confusing things is CG textures using the word “image” rahter than “texture”, although they actually call their site CG textures.

Use of the Textures is only allowed under the following conditions:
- Private or commercial use
- Use in 2D or 3D computer graphics, movies and printed media
- Incorporation in computer games, 3D models
- Selling 3D models bundled with modified versions of the textures, when the texture is customized for the 3D model

and use the word texture in all other parts of their license.

Signature 

Posted: 17 June 2013 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7977
Joined  2006-03-19

We’ve been in direct contact with them and they are able to be used commercially.  Most the PA’s in this industry use that site for their textures.

Signature 

ARTCollaborations Store on DAZ3D    ARTCollaborations on Facebook

*****Ravenwood Cemetery*****  

3 of 4