Digital Art Zone

New products… should I go with .duf or .dsf?
Posted: 14 June 2013 09:49 PM   [ Ignore ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1344
Joined  2005-03-16
I am on the cusp of submitting a new product to DAZ, but it occurred to me that not everyone uses 4.5 or 4.6 so I wonder if I should submit my files in .duf or .dsf, or both? And, if both, can I simply extract the .dsf from the .duf? Or should I save out each material setting and/or prop as a .dsf?

I would really like this to be accessible to as many DAZ users as possible. It is for Genesis, and I don't have Poser 9+, so I have no way to see if it works via DSON. I will ask someone to beta that for me, but I also don't know how to make it DSON compatible.

Any tips or suggestions?
 Signature 

My DAZ Store Page    My Facebook Fan Page    My Twitter Account    Free Video Tutorials    My FreeStuff at ShareCG    My Gallery on DeviantArt

Posted: 14 June 2013 10:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22
You can do Save As>Deprecated and choose the format. DS4.6 will also Create PoserCF's but I forget how that is done.
 Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 14 June 2013 10:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-16
Jaderail - 14 June 2013 10:00 PM
You can do Save As>Deprecated and choose the format. DS4.6 will also Create PoserCF's but I forget how that is done.

So you think it's necessary for me to do the .dsf files? I don't mind, but I think it would make the download bigger.
 Signature 

My DAZ Store Page    My Facebook Fan Page    My Twitter Account    Free Video Tutorials    My FreeStuff at ShareCG    My Gallery on DeviantArt

Posted: 14 June 2013 10:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1586
Joined  2008-11-10
Slosh - 14 June 2013 10:13 PM

So you think it's necessary for me to do the .dsf files? I don't mind, but I think it would make the download bigger.

Do DUF and make it easy on yourself, especially if you item only loads in 4.5 or higher.

Posted: 14 June 2013 10:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1586
Joined  2008-11-10

Poser companion files only work with DUFs.

Posted: 14 June 2013 11:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22
I miss understood the question, thought it was a how not a why. I red faced now.
 Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 15 June 2013 04:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-16
Jaderail, every answer is helpful. There was a "how" in my original post as well, so you didn't waste your breath. I don't know if this can be used in anything other than DS 4.5/4.6 since I don't have the older versions installed. And as for Poser, well, I don't see how it would be useful there. Maybe I will release it with .duf and then if someone asks why no .dsf, I will address it then.
 Signature 

Posted: 15 June 2013 05:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14000
Joined  2003-10-09
File>Save as>Deprecated gives access to the old script-based presets (.dsa etc.) but not to .dsf.
 Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 15 June 2013 05:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-16
Richard Haseltine - 15 June 2013 05:03 AM
File>Save as>Deprecated gives access to the old script-based presets (.dsa etc.) but not to .dsf.

So, Richard, what do you think the best way to submit the product is? Will I get a lot of complaints about only being compatible in DS 4.5 and up? Or do .dufs work in 4.0? I'm corn-fused... When I think about it, most of the stuff I've bought only contains the duf files.
 Signature 

Posted: 15 June 2013 07:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1726
Joined  2010-10-10
Dufs won't work in DS4.
 Signature 

Wendy

My website: http://www.wilmapsdigitalcreations.co.uk

Tutorials: http://www.wilmapsdigitalcreations.co.uk/view_products.php?cat=10

PLEASE NOTE:
My items are NOT to be used on Second Life website.  They have recently changed their TOS and are legally able to take/steal anything uploaded and resell/redistribute to items.

Posted: 15 June 2013 08:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14000
Joined  2003-10-09
It's a hard call - there are still people using 4.0, but 4.6 has added new features and fixed bugs. It's a judgement call, which has to include things like how easily you can set up both versions of DS (requires a dual-boot PC or two machines; you will certainly want to be able to test in 4.6, even if you use files from 4.0 instead or as well) and whether you want to include Poser Companion Files.
 Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list