Filter Forge is on sale. 70% off
Posted: 12 June 2013 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4816
Joined  2005-08-03

The 4.0 pre-order upgrade is $79 atm.

http://filterforge.com/buy/upgrades.html
Select FF3 in the list to see the upgrade options. You do not need to fill in your info to see the options.

Signature 

Wearing duck crap doesn’t make you a duck - Floki
@Deviantart | @ShareCG
Tutorial: V4 Transmap Brows on Genesis via DS only.
Bulk convert V4/M4 mats for Genesis2

Posted: 12 June 2013 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2322
Joined  2011-11-16

Ok… so to clarify, the upgrade price might be higher if not paid for pre-order… Anyone happen to know what the upgrade is currently for 2.0 to 3.0 pro?

[Edit] just saw it at like above, ty :)
It’s much cheaper actually, but that’s because 4.0 is due out I assume.

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 12 June 2013 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2826
Joined  2007-12-25
Mattymanx - 12 June 2013 08:34 AM
zigraphix - 12 June 2013 08:18 AM

I already have Genetica, but I’ve used FF in the past to make some pretty cool effects… I’ll need to think about this. I have a working copy of Photoshop now…

You dont need PS to use FF.  Filter Forge runs as a stand alone program.

I know… I just meant I might get more use out of it now than the last time I looked at it, since now I do have Photoshop. I think I actually bought a basic license at some point, but I don’t remember which version….

Signature 

Shop Zigraphix @ DAZ3D

Posted: 12 June 2013 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11195
Joined  2007-11-06

...I meant to say 119$, need more caffeine.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 12 June 2013 03:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-03

Egh.. I’m not sure if I should do the 4.0 pre-order option or not. I don’t know if I’d need the upgraded tools it offers. o_O

Signature 

@Deviantart | @ShareCG

Posted: 12 June 2013 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  867
Joined  2007-06-13

Oooh, thanks for the heads up on this. I have version 3 pro and I want to do the preorder on the upgrade. To throw another opinion in here on if to get version 4 or not, keep in mind that while you may not need the upgraded tools it will have to make filters, you might need the 4.0 version to use the new filters created by others.
Happy texturing all!

Signature 

Previous post count 1700.
My Store

Posted: 12 June 2013 06:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2960
Joined  2004-10-25

Yes Destiny, that’s true.  I, myself, have never gone the pre-order route, and usually waited until I had the extra cash to upgrade to the next version.  What I usually did when at the site searching through the newer filters, was bookmark those created with the newer version that I wanted, and when I finally got my copy, I went to those filters and finally downloaded them.

I think if I used it as often as I thought I would, I probably would upgrade to each new version, but at this point, I’m just not seeing it.  Of course, that could change “down the road” as it were.

Signature 

OK . . . Where’s my chocolate?     Post Count —> 3,263 and growing!     Visit my Renderosity Gallery

It’s what you learn after you know it all that counts ~ John Wooden

Posted: 12 June 2013 08:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-03
DestinysGarden - 12 June 2013 06:51 PM

Oooh, thanks for the heads up on this. I have version 3 pro and I want to do the preorder on the upgrade. To throw another opinion in here on if to get version 4 or not, keep in mind that while you may not need the upgraded tools it will have to make filters, you might need the 4.0 version to use the new filters created by others.
Happy texturing all!

Yea, I thought about that, plus i took a peek in the newer posts in the Beta 4 filter gallery on their forums, so I went a head and went with the full 3.0 Pro + 4.0 preorder.

Even if just for the new grouping feature if I do create filters down the line. Some of the node systems now are HUGE and all over the place. The grouping feature will be very welcomed.

Signature 

@Deviantart | @ShareCG

Posted: 12 June 2013 08:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2826
Joined  2007-12-25

I think the only difference between Standard and Pro that I might care about is support for displacement and normal maps, but are they just based on rendered images, or is there more “smarts” to how they are generated? I already have tools to create displacement and normal maps from images. (Standard can edit and create filters—Basic can’t do either, and wouldn’t be so interesting to me.)

Does anyone have both Filter Forge and Genetica who could compare the two?

Edited to add: found archived discussion here: http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=3310926

Signature 

Shop Zigraphix @ DAZ3D

Posted: 12 June 2013 11:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2322
Joined  2011-11-16

The big difference I see between standard and pro is the size of the texture maps.

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 12 June 2013 11:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-03

It lists the differences on this page: http://filterforge.com/buy/

What Pro has that Standard doesn’t:

Bump, diffuse, normal, and other maps
High precision file formats
Support for 16 and 32 bit image modes
Unlimited number of CPU cores
Bitmaps larger than 3000x3000 pixels

Signature 

@Deviantart | @ShareCG

Posted: 12 June 2013 11:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

...Vaskania beat me to the punch.

Signature 

Posted: 13 June 2013 12:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  867
Joined  2007-06-13

Zig-it uses “smarts” so to speak, but not every filter has the ability to generate all the kinds of maps. Using this filter page as an example it tells you what maps you can get.
http://filterforge.com/filters/9691.html

This one will only do the basic diffuse.
http://filterforge.com/filters/284.html

Much depends on what options the creator put into the filter.

Here is another example for you. The default map is in the middle. Then we have ambient occlusion, diffuse only, bump and normal. I find I usually have to tweak the bump maps for the results I am looking for in DAZ Studio, but it is way easier than trying to make one from the default map which would be fairly impossible using this type of mixed tile.

I hope this helps.
cheers!

Image Attachments
ffsample.jpg
 Signature 

Previous post count 1700.
My Store

Posted: 13 June 2013 12:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

...interesting.  I notice the maps are all Raster instead of Vector images.  I know that PSP can handle both formats.

So one question for those who have used it, just how much can be done with Filter Forge as a standalone without having Photoshop?

Signature 

Posted: 13 June 2013 04:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  256
Joined  2006-08-26
Gedd - 12 June 2013 07:04 AM

Well 70% is the big sale and is somewhat rare. It also means they are probably getting ready to release 4.0 soon.

For people who mostly consume filters, it would only be for using 4.0 filters, which would depend on how much and how fast filter developers take it up…. or so it would appear to me at this juncture.

A lot of filter makers have lifetime upgrades so no problem on them quickly taking up FF 4.0. (Most have earned them through the Filter High Useage Rewards Point system. ) I’m sure a quite a lot of filter creators are already working on new filters using Beta 4.0.

The other good thing about getting the Pro version is if you make and submit filters that other users of FF download and use a lot,  you get high useage (HU) points that you can spend on discounts, a free version, or lifetime upgrades. FYI, your useage of your own filter doesn’t count towards HU points. Alternately you can purchase lifetime Pro upgrades.

2 of 3