Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
Installer error: cannot find a required path
Posted: 06 June 2013 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2013-06-06

Ultra-newbie here. First time downloading/installing DAZ 3D, I get the following error:

“Install Manager cannot find a required path. The installer for “GoZ for DAZ Studio 4.5+ (Win 32-bit)” requires that the installed path for “DAZ Studio 4.5 (32-bit)” be defined. Make sure that a path for this application is present on the “Applications” page of the “Settings” dialog, then try again. “

No idea what the “settings” dialog is or how to reach it. It’s apparently not part of the installer.

Two out of eight initial downloads failed with this error (both the 32 bit and 64 bit DAZ Studio). The two photoshop bridges failed to install too, but that’s not unexpected as I don’t have photoshop.

Posted: 06 June 2013 05:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22

Your installing the Plugin’s before the DAZ Studio file is installed.

Image Attachments
Capture1.png
 Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 06 June 2013 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2013-06-06

Does that mean I have to uninstall the plugins, then install studio, then install plugins in that order?

Posted: 06 June 2013 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2013-06-06

Ok, just uninstalled all 4 installed packages, and tried the re-install of Studio (only) in both 32 bit and 64 bit. Same error.

Posted: 06 June 2013 05:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

I’m pretty sure you will need to. The Path for DAZ Studio needs defined before the plugins can register I believe.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.

Posted: 06 June 2013 05:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2013-06-06

That didn’t work. See previous post.

Posted: 06 June 2013 05:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

I’ve never used DIM to install a Application. I hand Installed DAZ Studio and and let it install default. I then used DIM for the other content.

Signature 

Posted: 06 June 2013 05:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2013-06-06

Sounds great in theory, but since I downloaded the software with DIM, I have no idea where it stashes the download files and no idea how to install it by hand.

So from here it just looks like a big ol’ bucket of fail for DAZ3D’s free software. I guess you get what you pay for.

Posted: 06 June 2013 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1546
Joined  2003-10-09
keith.pickering - 06 June 2013 04:55 PM

No idea what the “settings” dialog is or how to reach it.

In the upper right corner of DIM, there is an icon of a gear.  Clicking this icon will take you to the Settings dialog.

Posted: 06 June 2013 05:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
keith.pickering - 06 June 2013 05:17 PM

Sounds great in theory, but since I downloaded the software with DIM, I have no idea where it stashes the download files and no idea how to install it by hand.

The download files are placed in the path specified in the Settings dialog > Downloads tab > “Download To:” field.  They are zip files, so you can just unzip them, however for content you will need to be able to identify which folders go where.  It’s not obvious, but once you do it once or twice it’s pretty easy, just dragging a folder or two around; let us know if you want more details about that.

Posted: 06 June 2013 05:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2013-06-06

That was it, thanks very much. Don’t we all just love hidden menus?

Posted: 06 June 2013 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

All users have a My Account (Upper right hand on all pages) from it you pick My Products you can then Download from that page all your content by hand to any place you wish. DIM is not required to install anything. DIM is to me only for content and Not the best way to install Applications or Plugins. I prefer more control for exe files.

Signature 

Posted: 06 June 2013 06:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2013-06-06
Sean Riesch - 06 June 2013 05:23 PM
keith.pickering - 06 June 2013 05:17 PM

The download files are placed in the path specified in the Settings dialog > Downloads tab > “Download To:” field.  They are zip files, so you can just unzip them, however for content you will need to be able to identify which folders go where.  It’s not obvious, but once you do it once or twice it’s pretty easy, just dragging a folder or two around; let us know if you want more details about that.

Thanks for that tip too. Now, DIM *claims* that everything has installed fine, BUT:
1. No such programs in the start menu, including when searching via “All Programs”
2. No such programs in the folder I selected in Settings>Applications dialog either.
3. The install log has a ton of errors.

So right now I’m thinking that DIM is a crock, and I should just install everything by hand.

Posted: 06 June 2013 07:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
keith.pickering - 06 June 2013 06:27 PM

Thanks for that tip too. Now, DIM *claims* that everything has installed fine, BUT:
1. No such programs in the start menu, including when searching via “All Programs”
2. No such programs in the folder I selected in Settings>Applications dialog either.
3. The install log has a ton of errors.

So right now I’m thinking that DIM is a crock, and I should just install everything by hand.

If you want to install by hand, go ahead, that’s fine.
  I don’t really know the reason, but only a few plugins appear to be listed in the start menu.  In DAZ Studio, if you select Help > About Installed Plugins, you should see a list of all plugins Studio has.  I can see GoZ listed there in my PC.  I don’t use GoZ myself since I don’t have anything for it to GoZ to, but I’m assuming it isn’t an application you need to run separately from the Start Menu.  It is a plugin for DAZ Studio and shouldn’t be listed in your Settings>Applications (but DAZ Studio should) I believe.
  What are a few of the errors you see in the log?

Posted: 06 June 2013 07:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8708
Joined  2007-11-06

Can you post a screenshot of the Settings > Application tab from DIM?

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 06 June 2013 08:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2013-06-06

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5441/8974629290_1bb066c19c_z.jpg

Here it is, not that I expect this to help much.

I have downloaded DAZStudio_4.6.0.18_Win64.exe and I’ve been trying to install that way. The installer unzips itself fine, then runs into unrecoverable errors while trying to configure Visual C++. (Tried it twice now, same error both times.) This may have something to do with the fact that I don’t have Visual C++ on my machine. I’m going to try the 32 bit version and I’ll let you know what happens.

1 of 2