http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/23261/

Signature 

Previous post count: 2678 Downloads Hightide Mark: 1708

Posted: 06 June 2013 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2003-10-09

Thank You
I’ll take a look.

I have a feeling that this product has a learning curve, This is not a simple shader set!!!

It’s going to be frustrating right out of the box… After some time tinkering with it, I should be able to get what I’m after.
I just hope I can remember everything I learned after that point, lol

Posted: 07 June 2013 12:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Joined  2003-10-09

Given the complexity of the settings, a YouTube video would be ideal.

I’ve spent about 6 hours this evening trying to get a good result from the Projection, but every time, no matter what I try I get a flat render with no depth.
If I just use the uber shaders version the results are pretty nice.
( given how nice your promos look, I realize it’s a knowledge issue on my part, lol )

This image is the best result I could get ... (NON - PROJECTION )

Image Attachments
After_some_tinkering_II.png

Posted: 07 June 2013 01:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  233
Joined  2006-04-15
blbarrett - 07 June 2013 12:10 AM

Given the complexity of the settings, a YouTube video would be ideal.

I’ve spent about 6 hours this evening trying to get a good result from the Projection, but every time, no matter what I try I get a flat render with no depth.
If I just use the uber shaders version the results are pretty nice.
( given how nice your promos look, I realize it’s a knowledge issue on my part, lol )

This image is the best result I could get ... (NON - PROJECTION )

Try sliding your Z scale down.  I was just playing with it and because these are camera projection, it seems the further you get away the lower the Z Scale must be.  Here’s 2 text renders I just did.  First render the Z scale for ground is 1 and Genesis 1, second test Z scale for ground is 10 and Genesis 6.

Image Attachments
Z_scale_1.jpgZ_scale_10.jpg
 Signature 

Ameesa on Deviant Art

Posted: 07 June 2013 01:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-04-15

Bah, was trying to fix my previous post

Signature 

Ameesa on Deviant Art

Posted: 07 June 2013 01:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Joined  2003-10-09

I’ll give that a try, perhaps I was not using a small enough setting.
Thanks

Posted: 07 June 2013 01:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-04-15

And because I have a bad problem with over explaining, here’s 3 close-ups of the mound in first pictures, with the Z Scale setting left to right of 1, 5 and 10.

Image Attachments
Z_scale_1,_5,_10.jpg
 Signature 

Ameesa on Deviant Art

Posted: 07 June 2013 01:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Joined  2003-10-09

Well, that did not end up making a difference.

here are two renders
1. to show what I’m getting at render time.
2. to show how much depth detail should be there ( hardware render )

Image Attachments
flat_and_crappy_2.pngHardware_render_to_show_actual_depth.png

Posted: 07 June 2013 01:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Joined  2003-10-09

Here is the process I’m using:

1. load terrain model
2. select terrain model surface in surface tab
3. locate ShadesofLife in content shaders DT-projection folder
4. click on a material and it is applied to the terrain model

5 set a point light with raytraced shadows

6. render

if there is nothing wrong with the above then there is some setting on initial load of the shader that I need to adjust to get back all the depth that is being lost.

Posted: 07 June 2013 04:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2760
Joined  2007-12-25

Ok, I understand what you mean now. What happens if you use a distant light in your above scene? Or if you use a 2 meter sphere with your lighting from that scene?

Signature 

Shop Zigraphix @ DAZ3D

Posted: 07 June 2013 05:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15805
Joined  2003-10-09

Because this is projecting from the camera it doesn’t scale down with distance - you need separate items, or at least separate material zones (which you can create with the Polygon Group Editor) for each level going back. This is going to work better for relatively small objects, relative to their difference from the camera.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 07 June 2013 06:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Joined  2003-10-09

I get the same result regardless of which lighting I use… which has been all of them, lol
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

I understand, create the scene using a bunch of small to medium size terrain elements, placed both near and far to create the illusion of distance.  I’ll try that .

Thanks to all

Posted: 07 June 2013 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  314
Joined  2007-12-18

Can I ask why you want projection mode working on that terrain?  Generally things like terrain support tiled textures perfectly fine, and they are usually parallel to the camera’s view which means projection mapping will likely do what it’s doing for you.  If you need projection mapping there try using a negative value on X Rotation, this will rotate the texture back from the camera (or skew the texture in the distance to fake depth).  Since it’s still all coming from the camera you’d still need lights and shadows to form the contour of the terrain, the last two renders you have posted seem to only have AO.  With your terrain having such big features there doesn’t appear to be enough shadow to form contrast.

Hope that helps

Posted: 07 June 2013 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Joined  2003-10-09

< smileys links seem to be broken….. so please imagine lots of smileys after each statement >

LOL, probably because I don’t really understand the entire concept of your product like you do.
Your product description does not provide any info about how to use the product.
I just assumed it was a “shader” and that in every other instance of a shader type product, you can apply it to an object and get a consistent result.

Instructional documentation sold with the product, would have saved time for customers like me.

Having said that, it’s also been interesting trying to figure out how to use this.

In the first image with the trees I used a skydome with ambient turned up on the texture, uber environment 2 light sphere, and a point light.

The last two images only have a single point light, set at an angle that has plenty of shadow to show depth. ( with my monitor calibration )
I get that it may appear extra dark on your screen.

I’ll try your suggestion and see what I get from that.
Any idea when you might have some tutorials, or a product guide ready?

After all this time I’ve put in, I think it’s still a great set of textures, even without the projection aspect.
I liked the way i was able to make that tree look so much more interesting with the extra control and multiple displacement dials.

Sincerely
-Brett

Posted: 07 June 2013 04:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  314
Joined  2007-12-18
blbarrett - 07 June 2013 03:49 PM

I just assumed it was a “shader” and that in every other instance of a shader type product, you can apply it to an object and get a consistent result.

The result is consistent, it’s mapping to your terrain the same way it would any other object so it’s not doing anything weird there.  Projected textures don’t change based on distance from the camera, were you to use the shader on V4 it would behave the same as your terrain (laying V4 down on the terrain would show this better).  You should be able to see this working in the first animation I posted.  That’s just how the idea of projection works across all programs.

It’s very close to the same idea as these…
http://www.dailycognition.com/index.php/2008/08/29/unbelievable-anamorphic-illusion.html

2D designs and images applied from a certain viewpoint (in our case DS’ camera view), regardless of the depth in the landscape.  When viewed from the correct angle, designs in those images are made with larger and larger features the further away they are to compensate for depth and correctly display the 2D image.  The way it works in DS is that you’re always seeing the 2D image design regardless of view, so it’s like the paint in those images would be moving around as you did.

3 of 4