Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
Can I Get DS4.6 to Read DSI Layered Files (I Hope)?
Posted: 02 June 2013 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13667
Joined  2003-10-09
mrtatterscratch - 02 June 2013 10:49 AM

What do you say, Mr. Haseltine? Could the DAZ wizards do anything for Mr. Sesseler and myself?

I don’t know, though it MAY help to add a comment to the linked bug report (you will need to create an account, if you haven’t, since it’s a separate system from the store) so that they know it is affecting users.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 02 June 2013 12:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2003-10-09

Most of my original characters were built in Poser and saved in my Poser runtime. I import them to DS and that’s worked fine until now, even in DS4.0. I’m not as familiar with DS and the proper save methods, and I only tinker with the LIE because I’ve had to. But this problem makes DS4.5-6 unusable for me until I can tackle it…

Posted: 02 June 2013 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Joined  2003-10-09

Okay, left a note at the bug post…

Posted: 02 June 2013 12:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  293
Joined  2007-05-08

I think I have found a manual fix.

Using a scene where I put tanlines on V4 in DS3.. Saved as scene then opened in DS4.6

Go to the Surface tab and select the material (ie 2_SkinHip)... I’ll bet you see a grey box were you would normally see the torso. Left mouse click on that box and select Layered Image Editor.

Select the bottom item (I see it as named Skin)

Look for Blend Mode:  In my test it was set to Mutiplicative Blend, it should be Alpha Channel Blend.

When I change it to Alpha Channel Blend that fixes it.

Signature 

My DAZ Store

Posted: 02 June 2013 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  302
Joined  2004-02-15

Using Alpha Blend in LIE will not work for the tan-lines. It will leave a white border where it should be black (or vice-versa, don’t remember exactly).

Posted: 02 June 2013 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-05-08

This is only a guess..

When 3D3 creates the .dsi file he may not be including what the Blend Mode is suppose to be, and DS4.6 is defaulting to Multiplicative Blend…

The products that I have done using LIE (some of them partnered with Marieah) I do not use .dsi initially. I script all of the steps to create the Layered Image, and set the values for each layer as needed, and then save a .dsi file that would be used if another Layer is added from my products.

Signature 

My DAZ Store

Posted: 02 June 2013 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-05-08
Dimension3D - 02 June 2013 01:01 PM

Using Alpha Blend in LIE will not work for the tan-lines. It will leave a white border where it should be black (or vice-versa, don’t remember exactly).

In preview you see a little difference in color, but not after render.

Signature 

My DAZ Store

Posted: 02 June 2013 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-02-15

Right, for most part of the body, it will not be visible thanks to UV-mapping. But there is a small area at the neck where it is visible. And the problem is a bug in LIE, where only the Alpha Blend mode is working, the other modes are no longer working in DS 4.0.

Posted: 02 June 2013 01:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-05-08
Dimension3D - 02 June 2013 01:23 PM

Right, for most part of the body, it will not be visible thanks to UV-mapping. But there is a small area at the neck where it is visible. And the problem is a bug in LIE, where only the Alpha Blend mode is working, the other modes are no longer working in DS 4.0.

Ah, I see that now…

I guess I’m not seeing that in my products where I use a mask, because I’m lazy, and don’t want to mess around with moving the x, y. I just make the mask as big as the UV map, and then resize it in the script to fit the actual texture it is overlaying.

Signature 

My DAZ Store

Posted: 25 October 2013 09:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2003-10-09

Okay, so after all this, has anyone found a way to convert DSI layered files into Studio 4.6?

I’ve written and called and just finished another round of asking tech support, all DAZ will say is, “Sorry about making you lose all your work, kid”. Way to back it up, dudes.

Can anyone do their job for them, please? I’ve still got a bunch of built layered files that I can’t use because someone decided not to finish what they started.

A step-by-step solution for someone who tends to stumble his way to a solution would result in the burning of incense and the slaying of the fatted calf… smile

Posted: 26 October 2013 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-02-15

Here’s the actual state of things as far as I know it.

1. The bug with blend modes was fixed (not sure for which version of DS, but it is now).
2. The way empty areas are handled will not be changed. The way it was done in DS3 is now considered a bug.

This implies that old materials with overlays from my Perfect Tan Line script will not work in DS 4 or future versions. Also, the script has to be updated with full size image maps for the overlays (or maybe by doing the overlays with shader builder instead of LIE). I’m rather busy at the moment, but I promise I will do it this year. (That’s better than “soon”, isn’t it?)

Posted: 11 November 2013 04:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-02-15

I updated my DS tanline products. They now include 2 scripts. The DS3 version will work in DAZ Studio 3 and 4.0. The DS4 version will work in DAZ Studio 4.6.1 and up. DAZ Studio 4.5 and 4.6.0 are not supported because the Layered Image Editor is not working correctly for these versions. Because of changes in DAZ Studio, tanlines created with the DS3 script will still not work in DAZ Studio 4.6.1.

Customers of the tanlines for V4 can download the updates at Renderosity. Customers of the V3 version will receive a notification with a download link (requires to allow Renderosity to send notifications) or may contact me for the update.

I apologize that the scripts could not be used for a rather long time. I hope that all bugs are fixed now in Layered Image Editor and there will be no more changes, so that the actual update will keep working in future versions of DAZ Studio.

Posted: 11 November 2013 06:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-02-15

Sorry, wait until the update at Renderosity has _UD2_ in its name ... I just found and fixed a bug I made in the update.

Posted: 15 November 2013 12:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-02-15

The update for the update is out. Be sure you have version 1.11, not 1.1.

2 of 2