Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
Can I Get DS4.6 to Read DSI Layered Files (I Hope)?
Posted: 01 June 2013 08:56 AM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2003-10-09

Ladies and Gents,

I’ve been using DS4 for a while, and most of my characters are customized textures with a lot of tattoos and tanlines and such. I’ve been using the templates and methods set up by the old Inked series by Shana, available at Rosity, and the Perfect Tanlines setups by Dimension3D to make them (learn by tinkering :D), and both methods seem to use DSI files for layers.

However, when i open one of my characters in DS4.5, the layered parts are white. I was told by Ralf Sessler (Dimension 3D) that there’s a bug in DS4.5 that won’t allow it to recognize DSI files. I’ve written to them about it but haven’t yet heard back.

Does anyone know if this was fixed in 4.6? Ralf said he’s written to DAZ about it multiple times to no avail.

Is there a way to get them to read in DS4.6, and failing that, how do you create a new layered file in DS4.6? This has kept me from using DS4.5 since it came out…

Thanks,

T.

Posted: 01 June 2013 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  811
Joined  2007-01-08

That’s a good question, I unfortunately have a very slow render going so I can’t check in the latest DS4.6. However, what kind of layering method are you using?  If it’s “Normal” (i.e. cover the underlying layer) it should be fairly straight-forward to make a simple Shader Mixer network to emulate it. The other layering methods are probably doable as well, but may require some work.

Posted: 01 June 2013 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2003-10-09

ReDave, thanks for the quick reply! I feel your slow-rendering pain, man! :D

I generally use a multiplicative layer for tattoos. The tanline files are a color fill multiplicative layer with a mask layer, all over top of the character skin…

T.

Posted: 01 June 2013 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15695
Joined  2003-10-09

Products like Marieah’s which use the layered image editor are working in DS4.5 - I haven’t checked in the very latest version but I have applied them recently. I haven’t tried applying a .dsi file, though they are certainly still listed in the available formats for image import. Have you tried rendering the scenes that appear not to be loading correctly?

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 01 June 2013 01:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2003-10-09

Yes, in Luxrender, and the parts seem to be white. Lux is all I have ever used in DS…

I’m going to try installing 4.6 tonight and trying my figs with dsi in them again. I’ll report back with my findings, but if anyone is ahead of me here, PLEASE let me know the science of it!

Thanks,

T.

Posted: 01 June 2013 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Well, I’d say always try a 3Delight render too -that gives you a better idea of where any problem lies (in DS, or in the exporter to Lux Render, or in a limitation of Lux Render itself).

Signature 

Posted: 01 June 2013 05:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-09-17

I have tried D3D’s tanlines & it does not work in DS4.5.  The torso area loses all diffuse images whe the presets are applied.

Signature 

Resistance is futile.  You will be DAZzimilated

Old post count: 5719

Posted: 01 June 2013 06:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2003-10-09

Good idea to be thorough, but something tells me BWSman is right. I talked to the creator of the tanlines prog and he said it’s been a problem, and that he’s written to DAZ several times to no avail. Any chance this could be tackled in-house for the next release, Mr. Haseltine?

Posted: 01 June 2013 07:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-09-17

It looks like some of the coding has changed and it doesn’t appear to read the .dsi properly (images referenced in .dsi aren’t loaded or don’t disply).

Opening up DS3 & looking at the LIE; and then recreating that in DS4 appears to work; but it’s time consuming & I haven’t tried to save the results.

Signature 

Resistance is futile.  You will be DAZzimilated

Old post count: 5719

Posted: 02 June 2013 05:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  947
Joined  2007-01-04

A friend of mine “dropped” this issue in my lap several months ago, but as I’ve never used LIE (and didn’t have a copy until it was included in DS4) there wasn’t much I could do, it also didn’t help that I was busy.

I’ve since gone back to it, however since I didn’t have LIE before DS4 I don’t know how it used to work, but from what I can see in DS4 there have been a lot of internal changes, so it’s no surprise the DSE script and script generated DSI files are having problems. For a starter DS4 doesn’t apply the DSI to the surface any more, it gets put through LIE and a TIF is created in your Temp directory, now going by the TIF being generated by Ralf’s script generated DSI, I get the feeling there have been a few internal code changes made to LIE, as a result they don’t work in DS4.
On top of all that I can’t find any way to create a DSI in DS4, just a DUF LIE preset, so I can’t even do a cross reference to see where the changes are.

I don’t think the ShaderMixer would be of much use with Ralf’s product, the “masks” are only partial overlays, they don’t cover the entire texture, as a result SM would just stretch them over the whole UV.

Signature 

**shuffles of with a new headache** tongue wink

Posted: 02 June 2013 05:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Please make a bug report.

Signature 

Posted: 02 June 2013 05:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
Bejaymac - 02 June 2013 05:02 AM

I don’t think the ShaderMixer would be of much use with Ralf’s product, the “masks” are only partial overlays, they don’t cover the entire texture, as a result SM would just stretch them over the whole UV.

I think that could be worked around - using a Tiler brick to get the right size for the overlay and comparing its S, T values with the real U,V values to apply it to the right area of the map.

Signature 

Posted: 02 June 2013 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2003-10-09

Wow, you guys are talking waaay above my head, but it sounds like I’ve found the men for the job. Mr. Haseltine, can you direct me to the correct place to report this? I should write to Ralf and ask him to get in on this…

Posted: 02 June 2013 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  325
Joined  2004-02-15
Richard Haseltine - 02 June 2013 05:18 AM

Please make a bug report.

I made a bug report nearly one year ago when the problem was brought to my attention for the first time:
https://bugs.daz3d.com/view.php?id=47424

The problem is confirmed by the developpers, but obviously, it has no high priority.

Posted: 02 June 2013 10:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2003-10-09

What do you say, Mr. Haseltine? Could the DAZ wizards do anything for Mr. Sesseler and myself?

Posted: 02 June 2013 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  411
Joined  2007-05-08
mrtatterscratch - 02 June 2013 10:49 AM

What do you say, Mr. Haseltine? Could the DAZ wizards do anything for Mr. Sesseler and myself?

What is your work flow to save your characters and reload them?

Signature 

My DAZ Store

1 of 2