Digital Art Zone

2 of 7
BRYCE RENDER CHALLENGE   ........JUNE….....  “I had this weird dream”  ~~~~~  WIP THREAD
Posted: 13 June 2013 07:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1533
Joined  2003-10-09

It’s an interesting challenge, I’ve just been tied up in two other projects and haven’t been able to do anything yet myself.

Posted: 13 June 2013 08:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1616
Joined  2007-12-10
jonathan - 13 June 2013 04:12 AM

... What does it mean?  Whatever you want it to.

It is fantastically weird and wonderful.

Well done Jonathan!

Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 13 June 2013 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1490
Joined  2011-09-25

@jonathan:  That’s a really neat looking image.  Nicely done.

I wasn’t real satisfied with my first image so I attempted to fiddle with it to improve the background, aka, material for the cube.  In my usual way of I’m not sure what this will do fashion, I tried a bit of ambience but saw things were going the wrong way.  Tried a bit of specular but didn’t notice any changes.  After removing the specular setting I rendered the image again and saw a big change, yet it wasn’t anything I consciously did.  Render finished, in a little over a minute, and I looked to see what had changed.  Apparently when resetting specular to 0 I inadvertently set metallicity to 100.  The results are shown in the image below, which I find I really like.

Image Attachments
Nowhere_Stairs_7.png
 Signature 

If you constantly look backward, it’s guaranteed you’ll run into something on your forward journey.
My Gallery Page: GussNemo’s Efforts

Posted: 13 June 2013 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10

Yes Guss that does look better. More depth and a good focal point. Good job.

Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 13 June 2013 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2007-11-20

A very interesting challenge.  I don’t come into the forums often.  Guess I should do that more often.  I love the entries so far.  Maybe some day I’ll do something worth entering a contest with.

Posted: 13 June 2013 01:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-25

@Dave:  Thanks.  I may, one day, remember nuggets needed to create a good composition.  Vocal point, right, jotted down.  Now if only my other boo-boos turned out as nice. grin  (smiley generator still on the blink)

Signature 

If you constantly look backward, it’s guaranteed you’ll run into something on your forward journey.

Posted: 13 June 2013 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  654
Joined  2010-02-18

Ooooh, Jonathan, I like that…very abstract and surreal….bet you’ve been watching Soylent Green (YouTube trailer link) recently…great film.

Jay

Posted: 14 June 2013 12:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-25

@Jay:  I’d not thought of that movie in some time, and can see how it would apply to Jonathan’s image.

Signature 

Posted: 14 June 2013 03:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2012-12-09

OK, throwing my hat in the ring (whatever that means). Be gentle, it’s my first render posting here after playing around with Bryce and Daz for a couple of months.  It’s definitely still a WIP. There are a number of things I’m not satisfied with, but overall I like the composition.

The Tower Bridge is courtesy of Anderson Felix Soares and Sharecg.

Any comments/suggestions appreciated. Especially with how to smooth out the edges of that pizza shaped land mass in the foreground

Image Attachments
dreamcontest1.jpg

Posted: 14 June 2013 03:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15947
Joined  2003-10-09

Gaussian edges maybe

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        September Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 14 June 2013 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-25

@kyricus: My only comment would be the tree(?) in the upper left.  It doesn’t seem to fit the overall scene and I find it distracting, pulling my eye away from everything else.

Signature 

Posted: 14 June 2013 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2012-12-09

@gussnemo Good point. It’s really a leftover from the start of the project when I had something different in mind.  Seeing as it’s the only tree in the scene, it does stick out quite noticeably.

Posted: 14 June 2013 11:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-25

@kyricus:  Of course, in my neck of the woods it could be just another tumbleweed that blew in with the rest of them. grin  (smileys still not working)

Signature 

Posted: 15 June 2013 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10

I thought this theme would truly open the subject for people to post all sorts of abstract or strange stuff.
Come on everyone, the month is half over already.

My second proposed render:

Image Attachments
GuitarBubbles.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 15 June 2013 10:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-25

@Dave:  Nice, real nice.

Signature 

2 of 7