3 of 12
WIP thread New Users Contest - June 2013
Posted: 06 June 2013 06:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  218
Joined  2012-03-27
Lady Bree - 06 June 2013 05:35 AM
Novica - 02 June 2013 06:02 PM
... Do you know how to do depth of field? ...

I have attempted to play with DoF several times and I have extreme trouble with it. It seems the more I play with it the worse results I get.
Does there happen to be a tutorial out there for this? Any searches I have done for it have yielded alot but nothing that seems to be what I am looking for. Anyone able to help?

DOF seems to the most delicate thing to pull off. Here you go Bree. These were helpful last year.
http://www.sharecg.com/v/52258/
http://digilander.libero.it/maclean/DStutorial.htm
http://mirtklaar.deviantart.com/art/DAZ-Studio-DOF-Tutorial-289079715
 Signature 

In case you have some free time come see what’s displayed My deviantart gallerysmile
AD
“)

http://www.daz3d.com/media/3d/badges/images/badges/badge_10.png

Posted: 06 June 2013 07:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8020
Joined  2012-09-10
Not doing a plug here, but...My Art Studio thread has links to a lot of the best summaries/questions and answers/tutorials and I am currently going through and putting all the links in one post. Might keep this for handy reference. It only took me a couple seconds to find my old thread on DOF.
http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/19756/P285/#336419

This is where I jumped on the forum to ask about DOF and doggedly kept at it until I "got it" lol. In other words, I feel your pain! The main thing is to label a camera (Create-camera) DOF and then use another camera to view THAT one- and just make sure your two planes are like this- one in front of your subject, one behind it- and what is between the two planes will be in focus. If you go to TOP VIEW in the DOF camera and put the little white ball on top of the head, that is a good starting point.

Read this thread smile
http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/19195/

Signature 

SILO Step By Step
The Art Studio: Thread #5   Product Discussions
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 06 June 2013 07:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10
LisaDM - 06 June 2013 01:07 AM

Scott - The eye had been bugging me, but I was having a lot of trouble figuring out why it was being so difficult. So, I looked directly at the texture file and saw that the eyelashes have been baked into the texture...........f you have any comments whether you think I made it better or worse I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I think I like the richness of the first one- look at the band of light on the hay by the cat- really sets if off. That gets lost in the second one as it's so diluted. The rich colors of the cat's back gets a lot lighter, which, with that strip of light, is what set it apart from the hay. So perhaps something between the darker one and the lighter one?

Personal taste- I'd soften the shadow under the horse's lower face/cat's paw. I think that is what is contributing to a spotlight effect instead of being more of an environmental-type lighting appeal. (Again, unless that's the look you're going for.)

Okay, that darned eye. No doubt about it in my mind regarding the second picture- What bugs me about it is that it looks like a slit- more like an evil snake- and it's definitely worse in the second one. I expect a forked tongue to shoot out and a hissing sound to start at any second...lol! If all else fails, get in there and darken the pupil and iris. I'll see if I've got a closeup of Nova's eye. (my Arabian)

Back in awhile. As always, just my three cents. (I'm worth more than two.)
EDIT: Eye photo attached, looked for one where he is looking down (he's eating grass) The eye should keep a large, rounded appearance. That is the gateway to their personality- big eyes, gentle. Snake eyes- calculating how to roll that cat off the bale! (I'm teasing you, hope you know that.)
[ Edited: 06 June 2013 07:37 AM by Novica ]
Image Attachments
novaeye.jpg
 Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 06 June 2013 07:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2009-08-28
Unfortunately that eye isn't closeup enough to really see what is going on. I found this eye:
http://slickzine.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Horse_thumb.jpg
and it appears that horse eyes are more like a slit. That being said I know the one I did wasn't quite right and needs more work.

Posted: 06 June 2013 07:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10
I think it lost the "moisture" in the second one, so to speak. Did you adjust the diffuse and glossy at all? (Glossy being lowered, not raised, and diffuse being lowered.) I've zero experience with baking (lol, my husband and kids can attest to that, but you know what I mean) and am wondering what is permanent about the eye that can't be changed unless you photoshop it.

Which one do you like best on the lighting?
 Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 06 June 2013 08:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-08-28
I assume you probably have Horse 2, if you do open the texture and take a look. The eyelashes are part of the texture of the eye and are creating the problem. If the horse wasn't looking down it wouldn't be as much of a problem but it becomes real obvious once you have it look down. Adjusting settings won't help that. I'm going to work on it more, but need to find better reference photos.

Posted: 06 June 2013 09:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-08-28
One more try
Image Attachments
HCM.jpg

Posted: 06 June 2013 10:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1242
Joined  2012-04-13
Title: See You Later?
Program: DAZ3D

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

As has already been mentioned in other threads there is a LOT to learn in DAZ3D. In order to, hopefully, not get completely overwhelmed I am trying to concentrate on specific areas. Currently I am working on posing, lighting and camera work. I am, however, open to any suggestions regarding other areas that need work.
Image Attachments
See_You_Later.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 06 June 2013 09:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-08-28
Novica, I just reread your post about the eye. Are you saying the shape of the pupil varies with their emotions?

What about the width? I've seen in various images that it can look like a slit is there an average width compared to the iris?

If the pupil changes height slit vs. round does it do so evenly or is it more rounded on the top or bottom?

I understand you might not know these things, but you are obviously a horse person so I figured you might. wink

Posted: 06 June 2013 09:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-08-28
Kismet, I like the expression on your guy you can get an idea of his emotions, but what is the girl thinking? Her expression doesn't really seem to say anything like his does.

Also, his right arm kinda merges into her left arm you might separate those a bit.
[ Edited: 06 June 2013 10:15 PM by DigitalMirrors ]

Posted: 06 June 2013 11:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16403
Joined  2009-01-22
Kismet2012 - 06 June 2013 10:49 AM

As has already been mentioned in other threads there is a LOT to learn in DAZ3D. In order to, hopefully, not get completely overwhelmed I am trying to concentrate on specific areas. Currently I am working on posing, lighting and camera work. I am, however, open to any suggestions regarding other areas that need work.
I really like the pose on the guy, it flows and is not stiff. The Girl needs work, Looking off into space for one. Think in Real world terms, by that I mean this. The rest of the street does exist to her, now walking away from the door and steps where would you be looking in real life? Maybe where shes (your) going? But with a knowing grin on her face? Relax some of the parts of the body, shoulders up and tight or a bit more relaxed? Neck stiff, or just a bit more curve to her neck?
This is a good render but stock poses need work.
 Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 07 June 2013 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-04-13
LisaDM - 06 June 2013 09:48 PM
Kismet, I like the expression on your guy you can get an idea of his emotions, but what is the girl thinking? Her expression doesn't really seem to say anything like his does.

Also, his right arm kinda merges into her left arm you might separate those a bit.

I wanted her to look a little upset but not angry. I know it still needs work but I find I get to a point where I am no longer making progress and thought some fresh perspectives might help.

I debated about the camera position and their arms. I have trouble sometimes with depth of field.
 Signature 

Posted: 07 June 2013 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-04-13
Jaderail - 06 June 2013 11:37 PM
Kismet2012 - 06 June 2013 10:49 AM

I really like the pose on the guy, it flows and is not stiff. The Girl needs work, Looking off into space for one. Think in Real world terms, by that I mean this. The rest of the street does exist to her, now walking away from the door and steps where would you be looking in real life? Maybe where shes (your) going? But with a knowing grin on her face? Relax some of the parts of the body, shoulders up and tight or a bit more relaxed? Neck stiff, or just a bit more curve to her neck?
This is a good render but stock poses need work.

I agree about the girl. I find I pose myself and imagine how a hand, arm, etc. should look in whatever situation I have the models.

I hadn't thought about the fact that she should be looking ahead to where she is going. I did feel her arms where quite stiff. Did not seem natural to me.

I like the idea of a "knowing grin". I was having trouble with her facial expressions and trying to find something I liked that didn't seem over the top.

I know it needs more tweaking but I kind of hit a wall and thought fresh eyes might be helpful.

Thanks for the suggestions.
 Signature 

Posted: 07 June 2013 03:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-08-28
If you want her to look a little upset maybe bring the eyebrows down a bit.

On the arms I was mainly talking about the angle. If you look they kinda merge together. I would change the angle and maybe separate them a bit. Sorta like avoiding putting a tree behind someone so it doesn't look like it growing out of their head. wink
Image Attachments
Arms.jpg

Posted: 07 June 2013 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1658
Joined  2013-04-23
Treasure of my Heart

Him: "You are the treasure of my heart beautiful, will you be mine?"

Her: "I am already yours silly, I've always been"

Used:

Easy Enviroments - Greenlands, King of the Steppes, Lord of the Horses, Millenium Horse LE shaped with Alla's Arabian (freebie) and with LnL's Buckskin skin, Basic female, Basic male with Brennan skin, Jaguar Hair for genesis with velvety goodness applied to it.

Have played around a bit with lights and with angles, not quite sure which of the two angles I like hte most, so posting them both to here viewpoints of them *grins*

Image Attachments
treasureofmyheart3.jpgtreasureofmyheart_closeupdof.jpg
 Signature 

My Art Thread  **  My Gallery  **  My Deviant Art  (includes mature content)

Playful Ferret, Proud Wizard Companion of BWC

3 of 12