2 of 12
WIP thread New Users Contest - June 2013
Posted: 03 June 2013 06:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6501
Joined  2012-09-10
mori_mann - 03 June 2013 02:53 AM
Something I fiddled together about a month ago (but wasn't posted anywhere else, so I believe it's okay to use this as an entry), but that I want to work on a little more anyway.

Yes, they are interacting, even if he is trying to ignore her. (Yes, the female character is Amber, again wink ) That's interaction too, isn't it?

So.. suggestions? Apart from making that tree ask for a little less attention and maaaaybe fiddle a bit more with the light.

You captured the mood quite well- looks like she has one "Not gonna have it!" guy to contend with!
Again, just my opinion/style- I focus on the eyes a lot, and would probably have them illuminated more.

Some things to mull over/ disregard if not appealing to you-
Your hand pose is one of the many ways to reach for someone, and I like the way she is reaching out for him. It is tentative, her hand is somewhat limp. Now again, this would just be a different style- If you wanted that to be a bit bolder, extend the fingers (uncurl) a bit and change the thumb and pointer.(Try it- reach out to touch something- the thumb and pointer finger are often straighter than the other three fingers, which are curled. There is a spread between the thumb and pointer, while the other fingers are more closely nestled.) Because her hand is already lifted so high, she would have had time already for her hand to form the "reach and touch" position if you like that style.)

One thing I think different lighting would help, is to me, there's too much warm/cool difference between the two characters. He seems too red (warm) to her cool colors. Too much saturation, particularly the face. I notice the arm on the right has the light hitting it and I think that skin color would also improve the facial color IMO. Again, what do you think?

Yes, that tree needs depth of field to fuzzy it out- totally agree.

Love your character, can see why you like to use her!
Cathie
 Signature 

SILO Step By Step
The Art Studio: Thread #4   Product Discussions
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 03 June 2013 07:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  343
Joined  2013-02-04
Thank you for your insights, Novica smile

Yes, the guy (Jerutha, don't ask, he's half-elven and his mother came up with that) is nicknamed 'The Moody One' for a reason. She is reaching out, but just decided that she won't touch him, because that will only make him run away. Or so she thinks. It's basically the second before she lets her hand fall back to her side, that's why I posed the fingers the way I did. I do appreciate your suggestion and I agree on the reaching, just explaining my choice smile

I fully agree that the current lighting does indeed exaggerate the difference in their colouring. I'll fiddle with the (light) colours a bit so see what that does. There is of course, the thing that he has a rather darkish, tanned skin and warm brown hair and he's wearing brown on top of that. And she has fairer coloured skin, light hair and wears pale green.

Glad you like the character. These two (and a few other) haven been living in my head for some years and I developed an unhealthy level of attachment to them, lol. So I'm afraid they will keep popping up *looks innocent*

Edit to add current version. Did a bit of fiddling, especially with the lighting. A bit bright maybe now, but There are many ways to fix that. Now, I need to let it rest and come back later.
[ Edited: 03 June 2013 11:07 AM by mori_mann ]
Image Attachments
Please_Take_2_1d.jpg
 Signature 

Of everyone I knew
I’m sure you knew me best
And I’ll never think of you
as someone from the past

Feel free to visit me at http://morimann.deviantart.com/

Posted: 03 June 2013 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10
Personally, I like it better smile And I also like his name! I'm sure I've come up with names that make people scratch their heads, lol! Looking forward to seeing more of the fiddles, particularly softening the tree if you decide to pursue that. smile
Cathie
 Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 03 June 2013 12:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-02-04
Alright, a few tiny changes smile I think I am almost done with it now. I decided his hands were not the way I wanted, so I changed them and I fiddled a little more with the lights. Nothing overly noticeable. Made the tree a bit more fuzzy, but I don't think I'll get it much more 'down' without losing focus on the characters.

Going to add a little detail, too, because my brain decided that that's a good idea, but leaving that for the final I think.

And now I'll stop hogging this thread smile
Image Attachments
Please_Take_2_1g.png
 Signature 

Of everyone I knew
as someone from the past

Posted: 03 June 2013 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  219
Joined  2012-03-27
A first steps with the entry. Sorry about the baaaad lighting. At the moment all thoughts go into their poses.
Image Attachments
DH.jpg
 Signature 

In case you have some free time come see what’s displayed My deviantart gallerysmile
AD
“)

http://www.daz3d.com/media/3d/badges/images/badges/badge_10.png

Posted: 04 June 2013 12:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2009-08-28
Thank you for all your suggestions Novica. I appreciate different viewpoints and am a big believer in trying the suggestions of others. I think it's a mistake to not listen to the experience of others or to take critiques personally. I don't have a problem doing my own thing when I like something better either. wink

I changed the spotlight to the peach color you suggested. I liked that and also widen the angle and that got me results I liked better. I wasn't happy with the other lights so dropped the direction lights I was using for fill and added on another spotlight to soften some shadows I didn't like and then used a uber environment light as fill.

The perspective I found difficult because things tended to line up with each other a lot because of the barn roof and it was difficult getting a pose I was happy enough with. I finally got it setup so that I could work in my third character the way I wanted. Let me know if you see him. smile

I really do appreciate your taking the time to give your input. Unfortunately, I have to get back to my real work and stop playing so I'll post this in the contest as well. Thank you again. If you have any more comments I would love to hear them.
[ Edited: 04 June 2013 12:39 AM by DigitalMirrors ]
Image Attachments
HorseCatMouse.png

Posted: 04 June 2013 06:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7533
Joined  2009-05-14
nedkelly - 02 June 2013 04:59 PM
OK, here is my first one. The title is "The nerd gets lucky" and in the words of the great Dr Sheldon Cooper. "Let's chalk one up for alcohol and poor judgement."
Hope you don't mind me picking your image to bits nedkelly. It is a great start don't get me wrong but your subject matter is lost in a sea of emptyness. light emptiness that is. Can I suggest reframing (example below). I also drakened to other in Photoshop but well placed spot lights should be able to do the same.

Good example of two figures intereacting though..

For any newcomers can I suggest reading up on composition http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/12654/
Image Attachments
the-scene_copy.jpg
 Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Posted: 04 June 2013 07:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10
LisaDM-
YESSS! What a difference. The cat really stands out, the tail was aligned against dark in the background, love your mouse (which proliferate barns! We have an opossum which frequents ours!) and I personally like the angle better, gets me more involved. It seems to capture the horse's subtle head movement, like he's moving his head toward us in response to the cat's playful poke. It's nice to see artists taking advantage of slight twists, bends, and turns to get the unique shot. Glad the peach worked out for you! One of my favorite colors. Next render (of whatever) see how you like mixing it with a pale blue spotlight- I love doing that. Congrats on your artwork!
 Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 04 June 2013 09:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1651
Joined  2013-04-23
My first idea didn't work out, so I started to just play around.. came up with this *smiles*

Treasure of my Heart

Him: "You are the treasure of my heart beautiful, will you be mine?"

Her: "I am already yours silly, I've always been"

Used:

Easy Enviroments - Greenlands, King of the Steppes, Lord of the Horses, Millenium Horse LE shaped with Alla's Arabian (freebie) and with LnL's Buckskin skin, Basic female, Basic male with Brennan skin, Jaguar Hair for genesis with velvety goodness applied to it.
Image Attachments
treasureofmyheart.jpg
 Signature 

My Art Thread  **  My Gallery  **  My Deviant Art  (includes mature content)

Playful Ferret, Proud Wizard Companion of BWC

Posted: 04 June 2013 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10
Carola, very, very nice! You captured those sentiments perfectly!
 Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 04 June 2013 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1651
Joined  2013-04-23
Thank you Novica *smiles happily* going to do some finetuning on certain things that kinda ticks at me *laughs* The eye of the hrose for example
 Signature 

My Art Thread  **  My Gallery  **  My Deviant Art  (includes mature content)

Playful Ferret, Proud Wizard Companion of BWC

Posted: 04 June 2013 08:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3343
Joined  2012-02-06
I think everyone's off to a great start.

nedkelly, I think the pose looks excellent. I'd concentrate now on other aspects of the image, as Szark suggested.

LisaDM, I liked the original, but your latest effort is much improved. Good job with the lighting, poses, and camera angle. The only thing that looks odd to me is the horse's eye...maybe it's just me, but it looks a bit dull.

mori_mann, you've done a great job conveying their emotions. I wonder how it would look if you change the direction of Jerutha's gaze a bit...either he's looking slightly back in her direction (which might say that he's a bit conflicted), or else away from her, up and to the left (which might suggest he's being extra stubborn, maybe even trying to convince himself "I'm not listening!"). His skin does look a little orange-ish to me...maybe that's how he's supposed to look (being a member of a fantasy race and all), but if you want him to look a bit more natural, you could try shifting the diffuse color in a slightly green direction (see this post).

Ilena52: good tension in this scene also. Definitely some lighting and texture issues, but overall this is a good start

carola.ottosson: good work with the poses, particularly the expressions. I think the lighting could use some work, though I like the warmth of it. Also might recommend playing around with the camera angle and general composition/framing.
 Signature 

Community Volunteer
Monthly New User Contests!

My tutorials and FAQs | My Gallery | My Render Thread
Visit my world… Tornalia.com | http://scottlivingston.deviantart.com

Posted: 05 June 2013 12:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-02-04
Scott-Livingston - 04 June 2013 08:24 PM
I think everyone's off to a great start.

mori_mann, you've done a great job conveying their emotions. I wonder how it would look if you change the direction of Jerutha's gaze a bit...either he's looking slightly back in her direction (which might say that he's a bit conflicted), or else away from her, up and to the left (which might suggest he's being extra stubborn, maybe even trying to convince himself "I'm not listening!"). His skin does look a little orange-ish to me...maybe that's how he's supposed to look (being a member of a fantasy race and all), but if you want him to look a bit more natural, you could try shifting the diffuse color in a slightly green direction (see this post).

Thanks Scott! If anything, his skin is supposed to have a slightly green hint to it. I thought most of the orange was due to the rather orangy lights, but changing them to more muted tones didn't help much. I will absolutely look into fiddling with the diffuse colour!

EDIT: Different angle. Going to stick with the first for the final one I think (and yes, this is a test, so didn't bother fuzzying out the tree for it).
[ Edited: 05 June 2013 12:22 AM by mori_mann ]
Image Attachments
Please_Take_2_Cam_2.png
 Signature 

Of everyone I knew
as someone from the past

Posted: 06 June 2013 01:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2009-08-28
Novica, Scott thank you both for your suggestions.

Scott - The eye had been bugging me, but I was having a lot of trouble figuring out why it was being so difficult. So, I looked directly at the texture file and saw that the eyelashes have been baked into the texture. Anyways, I'm not an expert on horse eyes, but I did my best to try to make new eyes using the existing eye texture mixed with eye textures from another model. Let me know what you think.

I also played around with filters in Photoshop if you have any comments whether you think I made it better or worse I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Image Attachments
HorseCatMouse2.jpgHorseCatMouse2m.jpg

Posted: 06 June 2013 05:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  60
Joined  2011-08-21
Novica - 02 June 2013 06:02 PM
... Do you know how to do depth of field? ...

I have attempted to play with DoF several times and I have extreme trouble with it. It seems the more I play with it the worse results I get.
Does there happen to be a tutorial out there for this? Any searches I have done for it have yielded alot but nothing that seems to be what I am looking for. Anyone able to help?
 Signature 

~ Lady Bree ~
cool hmm
——————————
I stink at this forum stuff. Ima absent-minded artist
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

2 of 12