WIP thread New Users Contest - June 2013
Posted: 23 June 2013 06:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 121 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22
t.gohrbandt - 23 June 2013 05:37 AM
Jaderail - 23 June 2013 05:30 AM
]I really like this except I see all the flaws in the defenders technique. Your posing and interaction is fine, lighting looks good, textures are fine but....

The Elbow strike to the face looks good, the hand (right) would only be turned flat to the neck for a pull throw or drop. When facing a Armed foe pulling them close is a BAD idea. I would turn the right hand flat to the shoulders for a fast follow through neck chop. The left arm is good also but striking the inner Elbow just allows the Knife to get closer. A punch out, flat handed at the wrist would force both the arm up and away and keep that nasty knife away from the defenders body. It would also then be a true form taught to me in Kempo for defending against a knife attack.

I used a photograph from the net as a reference tool... smile Guess I should have been more critical. My own Ju Jutsu days are 15 years in the past.

So, you think the defender's left hand should strike at the attacker's right forearm, and the defender's right forearm needs to be twisted so the right hand is more parallel to the ground? Just making sure I understand your suggestions before I twist it all up.
Yep, you got it perfect. By the way, truthfully the Render is FINE. Don't change a thing. I just saw the next second or so in my mind. It took me back to days when I found that stuff fun and could still do it. The render rocks, it made me see more than it shows. I hope you understand, not often do renders connect to my past, I just had to comment. I do see it in other places in the action but that's not needed here or now.
 Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 23 June 2013 06:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 122 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  362
Joined  2013-05-05
Jaderail - 23 June 2013 06:31 AM
Yep, you got it perfect. By the way, truthfully the Render is FINE. Don't change a thing. I just saw the next second or so in my mind. It took me back to days when I found that stuff fun and could still do it. The render rocks, it made me see more than it shows. I hope you understand, not often do renders connect to my past, I just had to comment. I do see it in other places in the action but that's not needed here or now.

Hey, it's totally cool to get feedback at all, not to mention positive feedback! I'll fiddle with it a bit, and then likely put it in the Contest thread. Thanks for your ideas!
[ Edited: 23 June 2013 06:44 AM by TobiasG ]
 Signature 

understanding is a three-edged sword
my deviant art profile

Posted: 26 June 2013 11:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 123 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  112
Joined  2009-12-07
NV Oracle - 21 June 2013 11:12 AM
Hey, gang, here's my entry.

"Dude, the Other left, 2"

I used two Blank Boi's, each with a different texture, 3-D-C's free Scifi Corridor set, the Hero FX special effects set, and three lights. Please let me know what you think.

Your friend
Oracle

I think this one might have gotten missed (it's just over on page 8). Please let me know what you think.

Your friend
Oracle

Posted: 26 June 2013 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 124 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22
NV Oracle - 26 June 2013 11:05 AM
I think this one might have gotten missed (it's just over on page 8). Please let me know what you think.

Your friend
Oracle
Hi, RED FACE here, sorry. Okay first off this is a enter action contest, you picked blank characters so you really need the action between the two figures to SHOW. The posing of the Figures here will really be important. Now, I'll not say this often but as they are TOON like figures think EXAGGERATED poses! The type you see in comic work. Second you need to do something with the lighting, just turning shadows on might be enough. And if you go back through this thread you will find many tips that should help you improve this render.
 Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.

Posted: 26 June 2013 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 125 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-12-07
Jaderail - 26 June 2013 11:19 AM

Your friend
Oracle
Hi, RED FACE here, sorry. Okay first off this is a enter action contest, you picked blank characters so you really need the action between the two figures to SHOW. The posing of the Figures here will really be important. Now, I'll not say this often but as they are TOON like figures think EXAGGERATED poses! The type you see in comic work. Second you need to do something with the lighting, just turning shadows on might be enough. And if you go back through this thread you will find many tips that should help you improve this render.

Thanks for catching it this time, Jaderail. I really do appreciate the feedback. Turning on the shadows is no problem, it's playing with them that might be the challenge. LOL. Now, comic book type poses....that might be hard. Let me see....

Thanks again for the help. You've definitely given me something to think about.

Your friend
Oracle

Posted: 26 June 2013 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 126 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22
NV Oracle - 26 June 2013 11:47 AM
Thanks for catching it this time, Jaderail. I really do appreciate the feedback. Turning on the shadows is no problem, it's playing with them that might be the challenge. LOL. Now, comic book type poses....that might be hard. Let me see....

Thanks again for the help. You've definitely given me something to think about.

Your friend
Oracle
Okay by Comic book type I mean the stuff like Micky Mouse, Bugs Bunny, and other CARTOON types. They mostly use those over the top poses so the person reading KNOW the characters emotions and actions before you even read the text.
 Signature 

Posted: 26 June 2013 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 127 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6939
Joined  2012-09-10
NV Oracle - 21 June 2013 11:12 AM
Hey, gang, here's my entry.

"Dude, the Other left, 2"

I used two Blank Boi's, each with a different texture, 3-D-C's free Scifi Corridor set, the Hero FX special effects set, and three lights. Please let me know what you think.

Your friend
Oracle

Oracle- I just didn't "get" it. The title confuses me, and as Jaderail said, the action isn't exaggerated enough to give me a clue. The Boi's are cute though! As for lighting, it's my personal taste to have something a tad more dramatic, such as a stronger side light and not quite so balanced. I think the set was a perfect choice as it doesn't distract from the main characters.

Signature 

SILO Step By Step
The Art Studio: Thread #4   Product Discussions
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 26 June 2013 09:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 128 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-12-07
Sorry about the confusion, Novica. It's actually an inside family joke. My mother, (may she rest in peace), used to get turned around very easily. If we were going to a store, and I would park on one side of the parking lot, when we would come out of the store, she would invariably try to go to the other side of the parking lot from where I was actually parked, and we'd say 'the other left, Mom.', or sometimes if we were giving her directions, she would go the opposite way, and we'd say, 'the other left, Mom'.

Basically what it boils down to is that, the two Boi's are walking down this hallway, trying to go from point 'A' to point 'B', and they're at a fork in the road. The one Boi looks at his map (think like on Green Lantern, or Young Justice, or Batman and Robin), and says 'we should go this way', and the other Boi, who is positive of where he's going says 'Dude, the other left.'.

Posted: 26 June 2013 10:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 129 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10
Cute! It's like being a newbie army officer- "Your OTHER left, Lieutenant!"
 Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 26 June 2013 10:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 130 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22
NV Oracle - 26 June 2013 09:59 PM
Sorry about the confusion, Novica. It's actually an inside family joke. My mother, (may she rest in peace), used to get turned around very easily. If we were going to a store, and I would park on one side of the parking lot, when we would come out of the store, she would invariably try to go to the other side of the parking lot from where I was actually parked, and we'd say 'the other left, Mom.', or sometimes if we were giving her directions, she would go the opposite way, and we'd say, 'the other left, Mom'.

Basically what it boils down to is that, the two Boi's are walking down this hallway, trying to go from point 'A' to point 'B', and they're at a fork in the road. The one Boi looks at his map (think like on Green Lantern, or Young Justice, or Batman and Robin), and says 'we should go this way', and the other Boi, who is positive of where he's going says 'Dude, the other left.'.
AH HA!! There you go. You have it IN your minds eye, you SEE that in the render you did. Now SHOW that story to us (Viewers) in JUST the render. We only SEE the render, we do not have the background story (we do now, but the judges will not). You need to tell that story in just the render and the poses you use.

I hope that helps you SEE how more is needed so we See the story you do.
 Signature 

Posted: 26 June 2013 11:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 131 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10
Here's what I would do-
The green one, have his finger ON the map, and with his other hand, POINT to a direction.
The other one, COCK HIS HEAD like "Are you kiddin' me?" and have him point to the other direction. That tilt of the head needs to include the neck and shoulders- get the entire character into it. Then you'll have the attitude shown by the body language. You can also have the second one taking a STEP in the direction he's pointing, like he's already on his way and "enough of this foolishness."
 Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 27 June 2013 08:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 132 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-12-07
LOL, Yes, Novica, 'your OTHER left, Lieutenant!!' LOL.

Thanks for the suggestions, Novica, and Jaderail. It does help to see a render from someone else's point of view. I'm going to try to get some of the corrections done this morning, before I go to work, and post the render before I leave.

Your friend
Oracle

EDIT

Ok, guys, here is some of the corrections. I'm not done with the red Boi on the right, though, and I think I might need to tone down the lighting slightly, but I'll let you guys be the judges.

Your friend
Oracle
[ Edited: 27 June 2013 10:20 AM by NV Oracle ]
Image Attachments
Dude,_the_other_left_test.jpg

Posted: 27 June 2013 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 133 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10
Much better!!!
Agree about the lighting, I'd turn it down a bit.
 Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 27 June 2013 08:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 134 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-12-07
Ok. I adjusted the poses on both Boi's, and I turned down the lights, slightly. Please let me know what you think.

Your friend
Oracle
Image Attachments
Dude,_the_other_left_test_2.jpg

Posted: 27 June 2013 10:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 135 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10
I REALLY like it personally. The hand to the forehead shows the confusion, while the other Boi has a very confident stance and is in a "take charge" position that is clearly illustrated without you explaining anything via a story. Nicely done! I like the stronger shadows too.
 Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

9 of 12