WIP thread New Users Contest - June 2013
Posted: 01 June 2013 08:26 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  17027
Joined  2003-10-09
New User's Contest - June 2013

Sponsored by DAZ 3D and FeralFey

Are you new to the 3D World? Are you at the beginning stages of learning 3D rendering? Have you been around for a little bit but feel you could benefit from some feedback or instruction? Have you been around awhile and would like to help other members start their creative journey? Well then come and join the fun as we host our newest contest...

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Reaction and Interaction"

This month’s contest is designed to help you when posing 2 figures in a scene and have them reacting with each other

This may sound a simple concept, but it can be difficult to get a believable interaction between 2 (or more) figures. You need to take into consideration not only the way the figures are placed physically and how they are posed, but also to remember things like body language and eye contact.

Intent: A render with two figures interacting with each other.

THis can be two human figures or two animal or non human figures, or even one of each, the choice is yours, as is the choice of how they are reacting, it can be a friendly scene, an action scene, a love scene (within TOS limits of course) or even a fight scene:- whatever takes your fancy.

For a list of the current contest rules, please see this thread :Contest Rules

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

For those veterans of the forums that would like to help, because this contest is designed for the beginner to learn from, we will be randomly selecting posts offering helpful tips and/or critiques to receive a special voucher as well so whether you are a seasoned artist or an aspiring one, there is fun for everyone!

We would like to thank FeralFey who has graciously decided to sponsor this month’s contest They will be awarding a special prize to the winners of this month’s contest. To view some of FeralFey's items please see their store front here
Closing Date: June 30th 2013
[ Edited: 02 August 2013 07:01 AM by chohole ]
 Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 01 June 2013 08:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
In case we need it
 Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge

Posted: 02 June 2013 09:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8017
Joined  2012-09-10
Hope I'm not being presumptuous by adding a tip here- but since we're talking new users, many have not put two people in a scene before so here's how-

If you already have a figure in the scene, HAVE IT SELECTED IN THE SCENE TAB, then you just select your next figure (say Genesis) from Smart Content or Content Library, click as usual to add to the scene, then a popup will ask if you want to replace or
"Add New Figure To Scene." Voila! (And there's threads on how to add a pre-posed /saved person into the scene, and not a World Center- we should probably list that too. Anyone got that thread/link?)
[ Edited: 02 June 2013 09:22 AM by Novica ]
 Signature 

SILO Step By Step
The Art Studio: Thread #5   Product Discussions
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 02 June 2013 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
That is for DS of course, works differently in Poser
 Signature 

Posted: 02 June 2013 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1742
Joined  2012-04-14
Is there a way to load the second person without having it pop up in the middle of the character you already have in the scene?

Posted: 02 June 2013 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10
Yes- Jaderail posted how to deselect World Center in a thread- I have it in my Art Studio thread somewhere, I'll see if I can find it. You can bring the person in from another scene at the location they were at in the scene. (Great for bringing in all the layers for a final render, if I recall correctly, putting them all together.)
 Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 02 June 2013 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  380
Joined  2013-02-04
I might just want to pop in on this one.. Just have to cook up and consider stuff smile Sounds like a fun one!
 Signature 

Of everyone I knew
I’m sure you knew me best
And I’ll never think of you
as someone from the past

Feel free to visit me at http://morimann.deviantart.com/

Posted: 02 June 2013 04:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10
Here it is:
http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/20111/
EDIT: This has to do with World Center and preset poses, so hopefully will be the same approach when adding a second figure?

If you go to my art studio thread, last week I put a link to a post where I am going through all 28 pages and collecting the links in one post. I use my thread for easy reference too!
[ Edited: 02 June 2013 04:39 PM by Novica ]
 Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 02 June 2013 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  47
Joined  2012-05-05
OK, here is my first one. The title is "The nerd gets lucky" and in the words of the great Dr Sheldon Cooper. "Let's chalk one up for alcohol and poor judgement."
Image Attachments
interactions.jpgthe-scene.jpg

Posted: 02 June 2013 05:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2009-08-28
I was playing around with this setup last month and made a few changes. It figure it works for this months theme too, so any suggestions for improvement are appreciated.
Image Attachments
LisaDM-HorseCat-Mouse.jpg

Posted: 02 June 2013 06:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10
Well, you KNOW I love this combo! Here's my first impressions:
The bars across the ceiling caught my attention- it's competing with the horse's head. Do you know how to do depth of field? I'd fuzzy that back part out. Would really focus on the horse.

I love the fill light on the right that illuminates the neck- nice touch!
The other thing I would like is to see a bit more of the cat's face, even though the horse is the main dude (or dudette) Perhaps rotating a bit to more of the top view- just slightly. I love the strip of light going down the cat's paw!
EDIT: "going" not gioing!
 Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 02 June 2013 06:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16403
Joined  2009-01-22
anikad - 02 June 2013 12:57 PM
Is there a way to load the second person without having it pop up in the middle of the character you already have in the scene?
Yes and easy too. Hold your Alt key down and do a DRAG load of the figure (Thats click the Icon and hold the button down) as your pointer gets on the Viewport you will have a Target under your pointer. That is where the figure will load.

The One Novica pointed to earlier is how to use a Pose that MOVES the figure when applied. I turn that off because I wish my figure to stay where I put it and not where the Pose thinks it should be.
 Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 02 June 2013 10:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2009-08-28
Another try at it. Any suggestions?
[ Edited: 02 June 2013 10:38 PM by DigitalMirrors ]
Image Attachments
Horse-Kitty.png

Posted: 03 June 2013 02:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  380
Joined  2013-02-04
Something I fiddled together about a month ago (but wasn't posted anywhere else, so I believe it's okay to use this as an entry), but that I want to work on a little more anyway.

Yes, they are interacting, even if he is trying to ignore her. (Yes, the female character is Amber, again wink ) That's interaction too, isn't it?

So.. suggestions? Apart from making that tree ask for a little less attention and maaaaybe fiddle a bit more with the light.

Image Attachments
Please_3c_small.jpg
 Signature 

Of everyone I knew
I’m sure you knew me best
And I’ll never think of you
as someone from the past

Feel free to visit me at http://morimann.deviantart.com/

Posted: 03 June 2013 05:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10
Poppin' in with this link to Power Pose. I didn't know it existed and it sounds really neat. (Comes with DAZ, is not a purchase.) You click on dots (parts of the figure) to pose!

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/23142/#341073
 Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 03 June 2013 06:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10
LisaDM - 02 June 2013 10:28 PM
Another try at it. Any suggestions?

Let me start out by expressing what I'm thinking when I post-
I'm hesitant to make suggestions as it's only what I would try, and my style is going to be expressed, not what is "right" or "wrong." There were probably a lot of people thinking "Don't change it!" for the first one, so please keep in mind if you like something the way it is, leave it! I love your openness to try things! I just want to ensure you (and everyone else) are comfortable saying "Nah, like it the way it is, but thanks!"

Okay, here we go. Regarding the new horse and kitty:

IMO, MUCH better! Let me tell you something that gave me a chuckle- and it occurs rather frequently. Whenever you do a scene, take breaks, walk away, come back up to your screen and see what your first impression is. An innocent placement may give a funny (or wrong) impression. When I saw the horse in the first picture, I couldn't figure out (other than the ceiling pulling my eye) what seemed "off." Well...

With the cat's foot (nice and bright white) where it was, it made your horse look like he had a big white smile! That foot ended up where it should be (that's where the cat would be kickin'!) but from your original angle, at first glance it seemed the horse had nice the mouth open and his toofers on display, lol! Artists tend to see what they have created AS THEY WANT IT TO BE, not what is shown. (One thread, the woman was grabbing her chest! We all had to smile about that.)

Let's start with what I really like in the second one-
That cat's tail! You can see it is in full action, compared to the first one. Cats speak through their tails (I know- we have eight of them!) So this really got the "Hey, I'm down here!" attitude going.

You captured the gentleness of the huge animal, he's obviously thinking, "Seriously?"

Here's some things to take a peek at-
And help me out- is there one or two spotlights from the left? (or a point?) Is this correct- Your light source is somewhat low coming from the left or middle, It's hitting the bales of hay and also illuminates the cat's face. (Nice!) The light hitting the hay is necessary because the cat is dark-

Here's what I would experiment with (not necessarily change, but if I were putzin' around) If you have the hay and horse lit by the same light, I would separate them. Soften that hay one up perhaps (try a peach, that does great things with golden hay!) (255/195/169) or (255/202/181) and try perhaps as low as 8%. You might want to make these even whiter than the peachy provided. That will get a glow going on the hay. Here's why I would separate them- Looking at your sky, I chose peach. It ties it in without being a light source per se if it works out with being a softer glow.

Next, looking at the sky, the bluish gray. I like the color of the spotlight, that ties in with the sky nicely. What strikes me though, is it really stands out as a spotlight. If that is what you wanted, then that is the impression I get. It's a nice style! If you want a less spotlight-y effect, increase your spread angle slightly. (I'm assuming a spotlight?) EDIT: The reason I would separate the two lights (if it's two) is so you can adjust the light on the horse without impacting the hay.

Also, for that eye, which is dull, go into Surfaces and LOWER the glossy setting (it's the opposite of what it seems, higher setting is less glossy) and for me, lowering the Diffuse too.

Last, I'd zoom in more and get lower... I know you're avoiding the ceiling (I think that made a BIG difference, just my opinion) I am curious- if we want to experiment and get a mixture of the first one's point of view (more from being the cat) and this one (a bystanders point of view) can you do a quickie and bring down your camera (keeping this lighting and location of the camera) and tilt slightly up? In other words, what would this look like if we shot this from the lower left, like we are a bit out from the bales of hay (not from behind the cat, like your first one) but as if we are ALMOST down on the cat's level. See if what that would do smile Your focus is the horse and cat touching, perhaps too much of the horse's body is in play, so are you up for a bit of zooming in, and getting lower from the camera's view- like your first one? What do you think?
[ Edited: 03 June 2013 07:10 AM by Novica ]
 Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

1 of 12