Genesis Custom-Dialed Character Contest (Entries Only thread)
Genesis Custom-Dialed Character Contest
Running dates: June 1, 2013 to July 15, 2013
(the deadline is July 15 at 11:59:59 PM, DAZ Time (Mountain Daylight Time or UTC -6:00)
This is the entries-only thread. For the WIP and discussion thread, click here.
Except as otherwise noted, all prizes will be issued in the form of DAZ 3D gift certificates (GC), in the amounts of:
$50 GC special prize to Best Overall Image, considering composition, lighting, and quality of render.
Thank you to Laticis for sponsoring this award.
four category winners:
$10 store credit and $10 GC to Best Portrait
$10 store credit and $10 GC to Most Creative or Inventive Formula
$10 store credit and $10 GC to Best Likeness (of a historical or contemporary public figure, or famous fictional character)
$10 store credit and $10 GC to Best Character by a New User
four honorable mentions:
$5 GC to Honorable Mentions in each of the four categories above
$10 store credit and $15 GC additional Bonus Prize, awarded based on popular vote, chosen from among all the prizewinning renders.
Prizes provided by: DAZ 3D ($50 in store credit), Laticis ($50), Scott-Livingston ($25), Jaderail ($25), Novica ($25)
Special thanks to DAZ 3D and to my individual co-sponsors, Jaderail, Laticis, and Novica!
1. Be logged in to your DAZ3D Forum account to submit a valid entry. We will not accept Anonymous or Guest Entries.
2. Submit your image in .jpg format to the appropriate contest thread.
3. Upload you image using the Post Reply - Browse to Attachment feature (In other words please do not link to your image but rather post it to the thread)
4. Your entry must be one or more new renders not previously posted elsewhere. The character featured does not need to be a newly-created character (it’s okay if you’ve rendered the same character before). You may post your entry elsewhere on the DAZ Forums after posting it to this thread, and you may post it on other sites once the contest has closed.
5. You may attach one to five images in your entry post. If you choose to include more than one image, all images will be considered part of the same entry. Images must be posted to the contest thread, not linked, and they must be posted by their creator (no anonymous or guest entries will be allowed).
6. Along with your entry image(s), you must include the following information:
a. Name of character
b. All software used in the creation of your image or images
c. full formula (list of morphs with values) used in the creation of the character, and links to the sources of morphs you used (products).
d. You must also list and link to all products you used for your character’s skin texture, hair, clothing, and accessories.
Entries that do not include all of this information will be disqualified.
7. You must use a variety of morphs from different products in the creation of your character.
8. You may use any render engine and software of your choice, but you must mention in your entry post what software was used in creating the image. Postwork is welcome, but contestants who submit postworked images are encouraged to include a non-postworked version (raw render) as well for comparison purposes.
9. You may enter as many times as you like, but no contestant will be selected as the winner of more than one of the four categories.
10. Follow the DAZ Terms of Service. No nudity, extreme violence or profanity will be allowed.
11. Addition to rules (2013/06/03): By entering this contest, you agree to allow DAZ3D to use any artwork you submit in any promotional materials they may choose. Entering this contest is considered a commercial use, so you should not use any content that is not licensed for commercial use.
All entries that meet the above criteria will be considered for the “Best Portrait” and “Most Creative or Inventive Formula” categories.
- If you would like to be considered for the “Best Likeness” category, indicate which historical figure, contemporary public figure, or famous fictional character your render portrays.
- If you would like to be considered for the “New User” category, please state this in your entry post. To be considered a "new user," you must also meet at least two of the following criteria:
a. Your “join date” is no more than one year before the date you post your entry
b. You have never won a prize in any render contest
c. You have posted fewer than 500 posts on the DAZ forum
When working on your submissions, if you would like to get feedback as you work or before posting your final image, please post your image to the WIP THREAD. Please keep all comments on entries, or images that are not entries, etc., to the WIP THREAD as well. This thread is only for posting final contest submissions.
Q: What about non-Genesis characters?
A: The focus of the contest is on Genesis characters. Non-Genesis characters are welcome in the WIP/Discussion Thread. That having been said, the rules don't REQUIRE that you use Genesis, so if you enter a non-Genesis character in the contest, it will be considered as long as the entry meets all necessary criteria.
Q: Can I use Genesis Generation X?
A. Sure, just mention that fact and list the morphs you are using.
Q: Can I use a shape or morph I modeled myself?
A: You can, if the shape or morph is publicly available for free or purchase, and you provide a link to it. But keep in mind that the other rules still apply--you must use a variety of morphs from different sources. This is a dialed-character contest, not a modeling contest.
Q: Can I use a skin texture I made myself?
A: Yes, but you will need to provide a link to any Merchant Resources or other source materials that you used.
Q: Can I contribute a prize?
A: Absolutely, just send me a PM. If you contribute, you may also participate in the judging if you would like to.
Q: What's the proper method for posting links to products?
A: Type the product name, highlight it, click the "" button, type or paste in the URL, and click OK. The end result will look like
[ url=http://www.daz3d.com]DAZ 3D[/url ] (except without the spaces before the first "url" and after the last "url"), and if you prefer you can just type the code.
Any other questions? Please feel free to ask in the WIP and Discussion Thread.