Digital Art Zone

7 of 47
What features would you like to see appear in dazstudio 5?
Posted: 09 October 2012 07:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 91 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1829
Joined  2006-02-17
prixat - 07 October 2012 04:40 PM

I’d like the render launched in a separate process that leaves DS still useable during a render.

Are you willing to have only 2 cores available for rendering?  If not, then DAZ will have to charge you at least $300 just for the 3Delight license.  Right now, you can run the render separately. Just export to RIB (advanced Render Settings Tab) and use the standalone 3Delight free version, which is VERY fast but limited to 2 cores.  The version run from DS is allowed to use all cores, but is limited by the DLLs API.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 09 October 2012 11:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 92 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  592
Joined  2008-05-05
Kendall Sears - 09 October 2012 07:24 AM

Just export to RIB (advanced Render Settings Tab) and use the standalone 3Delight free version, which is VERY fast but limited to 2 cores.  The version run from DS is allowed to use all cores, but is limited by the DLLs API.

Kendall

Okay, I’m going to try this. I have an i7 with 4-core hyperthreading (8 cores), but renders using 3Delight in DS-(insert version number here) are painfully slow, at least when compared to Poser’s Firefly.  I now wonder if the 2-core standalone version might actually be faster .  I’ve forsaken DS for now because the render times drive me crazy.  Thanks for the heads-up on a potential alternative for me.

Signature 

One in 150 children is diagnosed with autism. One is mine.

My deviantArt Gallery: http://karibous-boutique.deviantart.com/
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club

Posted: 10 October 2012 12:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 93 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  340
Joined  2004-04-07

I’d like the render launched in a separate process that leaves DS still useable during a render.

Are you willing to have only 2 cores available for rendering?  If not, then DAZ will have to charge you at least $300 just for the 3Delight license.  Right now, you can run the render separately. Just export to RIB (advanced Render Settings Tab) and use the standalone 3Delight free version, which is VERY fast but limited to 2 cores.  The version run from DS is allowed to use all cores, but is limited by the DLLs API.

Kendall

I wonder what the actual licensing deal is between DAZ and 3Delight.

I’m not thinking of multiple instances of 3Delight render windows. Just the same single render-in-a-window as now but with the ability to keep tinkering in DS while its rendering.

The same behaviour as Cinema 4D, whenever I go to render it warns if a render is already running and asks if it should abandon the current render to start the new one.

Signature 

regards
prixat

Posted: 09 November 2012 01:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 94 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  287
Joined  2005-08-25

no new inspiration?

Signature 

DAZSTUDIO FUTURE REQUESTS - CLICK ME TO JOIN
Feel free to join, sign and vote for dazstudio future improvements.
(620 users and still counting up to 1000) would like to see improvements, and you?

Posted: 09 November 2012 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 95 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  523
Joined  2005-01-19

It maybe sound trivial, but…please! change the simple, ugly, old, boring, inefficient select color tool in surface tab. Add new things. Access to premade palletes, hex code for make new colors (1-step color definition instead of 3-step) will be very nice.

Image Attachments
select_color_DS4.pngpallette.png
 Signature 

Playing with shaders

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/20283/

Posted: 09 November 2012 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 96 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4133
Joined  2011-11-25

Love the ability to delete content, ghost files etc. from within daz, and drag and drop organization. I also want a better keyword search. If I install content, I should be able to find it, but I seem to spend a great deal of time locating content, and filing it properly.

Posted: 14 November 2012 03:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 97 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  287
Joined  2005-08-25
SereneNight - 09 November 2012 02:32 PM

Love the ability to delete content, ghost files etc. from within daz, and drag and drop organization. I also want a better keyword search. If I install content, I should be able to find it, but I seem to spend a great deal of time locating content, and filing it properly.

yeah, delete, move content and more, straight from within studio souds very nice to have

Signature 

DAZSTUDIO FUTURE REQUESTS - CLICK ME TO JOIN
Feel free to join, sign and vote for dazstudio future improvements.
(620 users and still counting up to 1000) would like to see improvements, and you?

Posted: 05 December 2012 08:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 98 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2007-10-22

I would like better documentation so I can make my own improvements:

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/interface/panes/script_ide/start

...  wtf?

Posted: 05 December 2012 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 99 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  100
Joined  2010-08-10

Give me the option to have an interface that looks like Daz 3.1

Posted: 05 December 2012 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 100 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2005-03-26

I’d like to see HSI and CMYK color-splitting nodes in the Material Room.

Also, I want a Renderman Integrater, so that I don’t need to know RSL code to bring an uncompiled shader from elsewhere into the DAZ|Studio environment.

Signature 

My dA gallery
For God’s sake!  Gallifrey Stands!

And God still reigns.

Posted: 05 December 2012 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 101 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  53
Joined  2011-08-27

More noise! I would like to see more noise generators, such as Improved Perlin, available as pre-made Shader Mixer bricks. And a Blinn specular brick. I know I’m being a wuss for asking for these instead of making them, but they would sure be handy for adding procedural bump and specular maps.

Posted: 05 December 2012 10:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 102 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  996
Joined  2003-10-09

Re Content

Please allow us to sort by date modified so the newest installed items can appear on top. Need it in both upper and lower content windows.

Posted: 06 December 2012 01:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 103 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10783
Joined  2007-11-06

Kendall

...would it be that difficult to offer a “background” rendering mode or an outside process like the Queue Manager in Poser Pro 2020/2012 have?  Not having the main application hogging valuable RAM while rendering a big scene would be a huge benefit. 

Also, what about a “Pause/Resume Render” feature like Lux and even Bryce have?

The latest release of the standalone 3Delight frequently returns TDL_MAKE errors when using older content which the built in version does not experience. 

For Daz Studio to really “grow-up”, it needs to include rendering options that make more efficient use of system resources than it currently offers. 

If Renderman/3Delight is that inflexible, maybe other render engine options should be considered. If Daz really wants to “step up” without passing a huge cost to the customer base, there is LuxRender.

Hyperthreading Hexa and possibly even Octa-core CPUs will replace today’s Quad core processors just as Quads supplanted Duo cores. Limiting their potential and speed by maintaining a bulky setup whereby the application must be running concurrently with the render engine or relying on a standalone that only uses 1/3 to 1/4 of the processor’s full potential is a step backwards in a world that is moving ever forward.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 06 December 2012 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 104 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8427
Joined  2007-11-06
Kyoto Kid - 06 December 2012 01:00 AM

If Renderman/3Delight is that inflexible, maybe other render engine options should be considered.
<...>
Hyperthreading Hexa and possibly even Octa-core CPUs will replace today’s Quad core processors just as Quads supplanted Duo cores. Limiting their potential and speed by maintaining a bulky setup whereby the application must be running concurrently with the render engine or relying on a standalone that only uses 1/3 to 1/4 of the processor’s full potential is a step backwards in a world that is moving ever forward.

The problem is not that 3Delight is inflexible, it is that it is powerful—a pro-level renderer that you’re getting to use in DS for free, without the limit to 2 cores of the normal free version.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 06 December 2012 06:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 105 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13

I don’t know…$50 for 8 GB of DDR3 or $600 for an unlocked stand alone…hmmm…

Memory is cheap.  Upgrading to a 8 core CPU and enough RAM to make it so it doesn’t matter is still a lot cheaper than an unlocked 3Delight license…(I’m looking at an 8 core CPU, motherboard and 32 GB RAM for right under $300 as my next upgrade).

DS 4 and onward NEED to be in a 64 bit environment…the complexity of the software/features and so are too much for 32 bit (just under that edge for DS<4.5, with 4.5.1.6 being right on that edge).  If you don’t have a 64 bit environment, don’t expect everything to work properly.  The 2 GB RAM in the specs is the absolute BARE MINIMUM.  8 or more is the ‘happy spot’...with 4 being just adequate and 6 being ‘OK, we can get some real work done, but not too much…

Of course we can go back to 512 x 512 textures (max), under 20K poly base figures and limited lighting/shader and other options…and run on 32 bit 1 GB systems.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

7 of 47