I on the other hand havn’t had DS 4.5 crash on me once. I find it extremely reliable.
Then I envy you greatly as it does so on regular basis for me. For me the biggest problem is memory. I never had an issue with daz 4.0 but with 4.5 it runs out of memory with only 1 character and outfit in the scene when I try to render it (normally a 1200*1200 size render). I now create the scene and then render it with the stand-alone version of 3delight which can handle much larger render sizes with no issues. Also, I now save every 2-4 minutes to make sure that if daz 4.5 crashes I don’t lose too much work done in the scene.
And for clarification purposes my system is 4.5 years old. I am running a 32 bit windows 7 with 3 gigs of ram. What I find strange however is that I sometimes create/work with large pics in Photoshop CS6 (6000 * 6000 and bigger) and never have an issue with my systems memory and for anyone who works in photoshop knows is that photoshop can definitely be a memory hog.
why not upgrade to 64bit and a little bit more memory?
....if it is not within one’s means to do so that isn’t a solution. Even a basic, 64 bit “off the shelf” i7 system with a dedicated GPU and twice the memory isn’t all that “affordable” if you are on a tight budget.
I have 4G (of which only 2G can be allocated to any single app. under 32 bit) and often experience crashes with much smaller scenes (800 x 800). Yes there is the standalone 3Delight route, however I have to get past setting up a scene in a viewport that is sluggish, often jittery and prone to crashing, just to get to where I can send it to a .rib for rendering.
220.127.116.11 does not work with the latest 3Delight release (or ever ver.9) as the app. was set up to process shaders/textures conforming to 3Delight ver 8/8.5 standards. Thus the newer versions have difficulty reading the texture formats that are exported to the .rib resulting in multiple TDLMake errors.
There is no rolling back to the 8 or 8,.5 either since 3Delight no longer supports the .licserver requirement which is needed to reactivate the older releases of the standalone engine after installing.
I have experienced almost no trouble with Bryce (except when using the Daz Studio bridge) Neither with Carrara8 Pro (except when importing a Daz Studio scene, which back when I was working in C6, I had no trouble with ) or Poser Pro2010 (except when using the .cr2 exporter from Daz Studio). Hexagon 2.5 was always buggy, and often would suddenly freeze up, requiring going into Windows Task Manager to end the process.
Heck even Blender runs nicely and it is a very robust application.
I don’t buy the excuse that the Daz development team is doesn’t have the manpower resources. The company I worked for had only one dedicated programmer and four development personnel (yours truly included) and yet we manged to produce the best almost “bullet proof” search engine software on the market at the time. What it takes is focus and not spreading limited resources out on several projects at the same time like Daz keeps doing (and the Website update couldn’t have been more ill timed).. This is why Studio keeps having issues with memory management and stability. As I have mentioned before, it might rankle the Carrara/Bryce crowd a bit, but if Daz really want’s it’s flagship app to be the next best thing to sliced bread. it needs to throw ALL it’s marbles there.
Testaments like KinneM’s as well as that of others who use much more robust applications with far less difficulty while at the same time experiencing major issues with a hobbyists’ app like Daz Studio should tell Daz something. This to me reeks of shortcuts and sloppy coding just to get something out the door before the “other guy” (Smith Micro) did.
If this were a new aircraft, the FAA inspectors would never certify it as airworthy and tell the designers and engineers to go back to the drawing board.