Digital Art Zone

6 of 50
What features would you like to see appear in dazstudio 5?
Posted: 07 October 2012 06:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3177
Joined  2007-06-22

I on the other hand havn’t had DS 4.5 crash on me once. I find it extremely reliable.

Posted: 07 October 2012 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7623
Joined  2006-03-19

I haven’t had it crash on me either, but from reading the forums, there are several that are having the problem. Maybe its system spec related.

Signature 

ARTCollaborations Store on DAZ3D    ARTCollaborations on Facebook

*****Mad Chemistry Lab*****  

Posted: 07 October 2012 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2011-12-26
scorpio64dragon - 07 October 2012 06:54 AM

I on the other hand havn’t had DS 4.5 crash on me once. I find it extremely reliable.

Then I envy you greatly as it does so on regular basis for me. For me the biggest problem is memory. I never had an issue with daz 4.0 but with 4.5 it runs out of memory with only 1 character and outfit in the scene when I try to render it (normally a 1200*1200 size render). I now create the scene and then render it with the stand-alone version of 3delight which can handle much larger render sizes with no issues. Also, I now save every 2-4 minutes to make sure that if daz 4.5 crashes I don’t lose too much work done in the scene.

And for clarification purposes my system is 4.5 years old. I am running a 32 bit windows 7 with 3 gigs of ram. What I find strange however is that I sometimes create/work with large pics in Photoshop CS6 (6000 * 6000 and bigger) and never have an issue with my systems memory and for anyone who works in photoshop knows is that photoshop can definitely be a memory hog.

Posted: 07 October 2012 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2005-08-25
KinnieM - 07 October 2012 09:25 AM

Then I envy you greatly as it does so on regular basis for me. For me the biggest problem is memory. I never had an issue with daz 4.0 but with 4.5 it runs out of memory with only 1 character and outfit in the scene when I try to render it (normally a 1200*1200 size render). I now create the scene and then render it with the stand-alone version of 3delight which can handle much larger render sizes with no issues. Also, I now save every 2-4 minutes to make sure that if daz 4.5 crashes I don’t lose too much work done in the scene.

And for clarification purposes my system is 4.5 years old. I am running a 32 bit windows 7 with 3 gigs of ram. What I find strange however is that I sometimes create/work with large pics in Photoshop CS6 (6000 * 6000 and bigger) and never have an issue with my systems memory and for anyone who works in photoshop knows is that photoshop can definitely be a memory hog.

why not upgrade to 64bit and a little bit more memory?

Signature 

DAZSTUDIO FUTURE REQUESTS - CLICK ME TO JOIN
Feel free to join, sign and vote for dazstudio future improvements.
(620 users and still counting up to 1000) would like to see improvements, and you?

Posted: 07 October 2012 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  646
Joined  2008-05-05

I did not read all 6 pages of this thread very carefully, so please ignore any duplicate requests.  And I know this isn’t an official thread, but I would really like:

- z-depth cameras which account for transparencies

- A much faster native render engine.  I prefer Genesis over Vicky and DS’s interface over Poser’s, but the render speed difference betweed 3Delight and Firefly is almost exponential. A high resolution render in Poser utilizing SSS and IDL might take 30 minutes.  The same render in DS using high quality Uberenvironment settings can take more than 3 hours. And, honestly, the Firefly render looks more realistic.  I know nothing about how programs interface with render engines, but a bridge to a faster render engine would be great.  Lux does lovely work, but it’s also very time and resource intensive.  I honestly think a bridge to Firefly would be awesome.  I’m sure exclusivity rights or technical issues would preclude this, but it would be nice.

- IDL in DS—but only with a faster render engine.

- Included script to add AO shaders to MATERIALS, not lights.  More control over this and the ability to cut render times dramatically.

- Less arcane methods of creating point lights with falloff or SPOT lights with shadow maps/gels withing DS. Using shaders and “gel” lights (via shader mixer) isn’t intuitive or quick.

I’m sure I’ll think of more!

Signature 

One in 150 children is diagnosed with autism. One is mine.

My deviantArt Gallery: http://karibous-boutique.deviantart.com/
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club

Posted: 07 October 2012 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11044
Joined  2007-11-06
fixme12 - 07 October 2012 12:29 PM
KinnieM - 07 October 2012 09:25 AM

why not upgrade to 64bit and a little bit more memory?

....if it is not within one’s means to do so that isn’t a solution.  Even a basic, 64 bit “off the shelf” i7 system with a dedicated GPU and twice the memory isn’t all that “affordable” if you are on a tight budget.

I have 4G (of which only 2G can be allocated to any single app. under 32 bit) and often experience crashes with much smaller scenes (800 x 800).  Yes there is the standalone 3Delight route, however I have to get past setting up a scene in a viewport that is sluggish, often jittery and prone to crashing, just to get to where I can send it to a .rib for rendering. 

3.1.2.32 does not work with the latest 3Delight release (or ever ver.9) as the app. was set up to process shaders/textures conforming to 3Delight ver 8/8.5 standards. Thus the newer versions have difficulty reading the texture formats that are exported to the .rib resulting in multiple TDLMake errors.

There is no rolling back to the 8 or 8,.5 either since 3Delight no longer supports the .licserver requirement which is needed to reactivate the older releases of the standalone engine after installing.

I have experienced almost no trouble with Bryce (except when using the Daz Studio bridge) Neither with Carrara8 Pro (except when importing a Daz Studio scene, which back when I was working in C6, I had no trouble with ) or Poser Pro2010 (except when using the .cr2 exporter from Daz Studio).  Hexagon 2.5 was always buggy, and often would suddenly freeze up, requiring going into Windows Task Manager to end the process.

Heck even Blender runs nicely and it is a very robust application.

I don’t buy the excuse that the Daz development team is doesn’t have the manpower resources. The company I worked for had only one dedicated programmer and four development personnel (yours truly included) and yet we manged to produce the best almost “bullet proof” search engine software on the market at the time.  What it takes is focus and not spreading limited resources out on several projects at the same time like Daz keeps doing (and the Website update couldn’t have been more ill timed).. This is why Studio keeps having issues with memory management and stability. As I have mentioned before, it might rankle the Carrara/Bryce crowd a bit, but if Daz really want’s it’s flagship app to be the next best thing to sliced bread. it needs to throw ALL it’s marbles there.

Testaments like KinneM’s as well as that of others who use much more robust applications with far less difficulty while at the same time experiencing major issues with a hobbyists’ app like Daz Studio should tell Daz something.  This to me reeks of shortcuts and sloppy coding just to get something out the door before the “other guy” (Smith Micro) did. 

If this were a new aircraft, the FAA inspectors would never certify it as airworthy and tell the designers and engineers to go back to the drawing board.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 07 October 2012 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  357
Joined  2004-04-07

I’d like the render launched in a separate process that leaves DS still useable during a render.

Signature 

regards
prixat

Posted: 07 October 2012 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  357
Joined  2004-04-07
Frank0314 - 06 October 2012 11:07 AM

...a team of probably 100 programmers and DS with a team of maybe 4. 100 eyes are better than 4, and it’s reflected in the cost of the software.

You’re saying programmers only have one eye each?:-P

Signature 

regards
prixat

Posted: 08 October 2012 03:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 84 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2005-08-25
Kyoto Kid - 07 October 2012 02:45 PM

I don’t buy the excuse that the Daz development team is doesn’t have the manpower resources. The company I worked for had only one dedicated programmer and four development personnel (yours truly included) and yet we manged to produce the best almost “bullet proof” search engine software on the market at the time.  What it takes is focus and not spreading limited resources out on several projects at the same time like Daz keeps doing (and the Website update couldn’t have been more ill timed).. This is why Studio keeps having issues with memory management and stability. As I have mentioned before, it might rankle the Carrara/Bryce crowd a bit, but if Daz really want’s it’s flagship app to be the next best thing to sliced bread. it needs to throw ALL it’s marbles there.

indeed not obvious to everyone to update his or her system if you have a tight budget. and not fun at all if you see al these new things appear.

you’re absolutely right about this, if Daz really want’s it’s flagship app to be the next best thing to sliced bread. it needs to throw ALL it’s marbles there. and then we might finally have a manual appear at launch time. wink

Signature 

DAZSTUDIO FUTURE REQUESTS - CLICK ME TO JOIN
Feel free to join, sign and vote for dazstudio future improvements.
(620 users and still counting up to 1000) would like to see improvements, and you?

Posted: 08 October 2012 03:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 85 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  658
Joined  2006-09-30

I just gave up on daz studio. 

They should make the outrageously high open gl requirements optional.  ogl is just for the viewport, right?  So make it such that less than optimal systems can only preview wireframes.  At least it would work!

And I think we all know DS5 will be dead on arrival if the default scene does not load the long overdue Millennium Cow! 

But of course that goes without saying ...

Signature 

MOO!

Posted: 08 October 2012 07:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 86 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5761
Joined  2006-02-20
Fille123 - 17 June 2012 12:40 PM

Regarding Area Rendering, here is a link to the ‘official’ feature request (please add supporting note if you’d like it too): https://bugs.daz3d.com/view.php?id=36684 ...

Access Denied ... I would have added my voice, but I can’t.

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?

Posted: 08 October 2012 07:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 87 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20
prixat - 07 October 2012 04:40 PM

I’d like the render launched in a separate process that leaves DS still useable during a render.

And it would mean that the Render gets the 2GB for a process allowed in 32bit Windows.
Would be nice.

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?

Posted: 08 October 2012 07:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 88 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20
Sockratease - 08 October 2012 03:57 AM

And I think we all know DS5 will be dead on arrival if the default scene does not load the long overdue Millennium Cow! 

But of course that goes without saying ...

Of course! wink

Signature 

Posted: 08 October 2012 11:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 89 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11044
Joined  2007-11-06
Kerya - 08 October 2012 07:33 AM

And it would mean that the Render gets the 2GB for a process allowed in 32bit Windows.
Would be nice.

...which is why in PoserPro 2010 I always render in background using the Queue Manager. 

I also have to agree with Sockratease about the OGL issue.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 09 October 2012 03:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 90 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  658
Joined  2006-09-30
Kyoto Kid - 08 October 2012 11:28 PM
Kerya - 08 October 2012 07:33 AM

Would be nice.

...which is why in PoserPro 2010 I always render in background using the Queue Manager. 

I also have to agree with Sockratease about the OGL and Millennium Cow issue.

Fixed that for ya, kid cool hmm

Signature 

MOO!

6 of 50