Digital Art Zone

4 of 51
What features would you like to see appear in dazstudio 5?
Posted: 03 September 2012 05:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  234
Joined  2003-10-09

Sorry you’re having so many problems, but so far for me 4.5 has been rock solid.

Coldrake

Signature 

I don’t dance, I boogie.
———————————————————

If I have to choose between speed and quality, I’ll take quality every time.
———————————————————

It’s not what tools you use,
It’s how you use your tools.

Posted: 03 September 2012 06:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11177
Joined  2007-11-06

...were this on the notebook it would be one thing but I want to make sure everything on the new build is “clean”.  Besides the financial investment, I’ve spent a lot of time getting the parts when I could afford them and then getting it all put together.  The last thing I care to do is install something only to find is more trouble than it is worth, and then to remove all traces to insure a clean unistall, be faced with possibly having to wipe both the Boot and Runtime HDDs and start over from scratch.

I just can’t see why it is so hard to hold off and make sure a product is user ready before launching it.

The old cliche’ “Haste Makes Waste” seems so appropriate here.

Gads, such a nice day and here I am spending it troubleshooting issues with the Studio4 app (though another thread) and tomorrow I get to go back to all the fun of dealing with a mountain of account tickets and data to close out from the previous month.  Seems what is supposed to be a relaxing hobby is becoming just as frustrating and stressful as the day job I get (meagerly) paid to do.

...bloody ‘ell,  gonna head over to the pub sit out in what sunshine is left and have a couple beers then go get dinner.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 03 September 2012 10:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  88
Joined  2011-09-12
Coldrake - 03 September 2012 05:15 PM
MarkR151 - 03 September 2012 04:41 PM

2. Or a “History” tab where we can jump back to a change made a few seconds ago to several minutes ago. Right now, if you make more than just a change or 2 at the most, even if it’s simply rotating a character or camera or 1 morph change, you lose the ability to jump back to a previous state or change. The only thing available right now is Undo, which only lets you undo the last change or two changes back at the most. That is very inadequate! No real ability to go back more than a couple adjustments at the most, and not even a simple “Revert” option under File. Not even!

My undo goes to 20.

MarkR151 - 03 September 2012 04:41 PM

4. And backward compatibility with current generation DS4.0+ DAZ scene files where I have all my characters, props, scenes, lights saved to render. I shouldn’t have to even mention this. But I’m afraid someone or some development team is going to make a decision that the current DAZ Scene format “should be phased out just for the sake of adding some cool, new bright shiny format” with new bells & whistles and we won’t be able to open all our pre-2013 files and tweak & render them anymore. So add a new format(s) if you need to, BUT keep it (5.0)compatible with current 2010-2012 DAZ Scene files.

I just opened a file from DAZ Studio 3 and everything came in perfectly. DAZ Studio will open older file formats, it just won’t save in the old formats.

Coldrake

Your Undo goes to 20? Which version of DS4 do you have? And how do you make it Undo up to 20 changes?

Posted: 03 September 2012 10:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  234
Joined  2003-10-09

I’m using 4.5.0.114

I haven’t done anything to make it undo up to 20, that’s just how many I have.

Coldrake

Signature 

I don’t dance, I boogie.
———————————————————

If I have to choose between speed and quality, I’ll take quality every time.
———————————————————

It’s not what tools you use,
It’s how you use your tools.

Posted: 04 September 2012 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2009-04-14

Mesh smoothing on a node-by-node basis (say, a single joint instead of the entire figure).

Posted: 04 September 2012 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1158
Joined  2005-07-29
Sarsifus - 04 September 2012 02:11 PM

Mesh smoothing on a node-by-node basis (say, a single joint instead of the entire figure).

I would actually like it where you could paint the area with the less intense the color, the more falloff and THEN smooth but I like this idea too.

Signature 

<End of transmission from Oz>
TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis/G2F/G2M Full Body Morph for DAZ Studio Pro 4.6 by RKane_1
TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis Partial Body Morph in DAZ Studio Pro 4 Using the DForm Tool by RKane_1
TUTORIAL - Applying Shaders by RKane_1 (as stolen blatantly from Jaderail)

Posted: 12 September 2012 04:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2012-01-09

First thing is I think Studio 4 is great in many ways. I think you do yourselves a HUGE disservice by not documenting all of the great features of the program.It is jam packed with stuff. And I constantly see posts of - I didn’t know that feature was in Studio 4.

Add or Fix
Multi-Pass Rendering (Like Carrara)
FIX the Transfer Utility for Shoes - I know the bones are different but…
Stop the Content Management Service from crashing. This is such a great feature, a major strength, if it was reliable.

Now a rather radical thought - Documentation. It would be great if I could read about the new features. What would be even better. If you hired one person to make instructional videos about Studio x.x. That is all they do. Make a video or two a day. (I would be happy to fill this position.) Not generic videos that touch upon basic features like “there is a surface tab”. But in-depth videos.

Like how to use all the new save tools. Or all of the shader mixer options. Good videos would help people troubleshoot problems on their own instead of trying to figure something out (which created the problem in the first place) and ending up frustrated and angry.

This would be so much better than reading a document that usually doesn’t do the feature justice. Reading documentation can become just as frustrating if it isn’t written well or informational enough.

You have such a diverse and intricate program here. Genesis is a fabulous creation. You will get many more adopters (more content purchases) if you showed people how to use the program.

Posted: 12 September 2012 11:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4544
Joined  2004-08-11

Glad to see this list again. It’s nice to see RAMWolff’s suggestion about morphing still there as the 2nd entry!  cool grin

Did see the SDK note stating the beta was released.  I think the finished SDK is released at this point unless the product I got is really a beta…..

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 12 September 2012 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2866
Joined  2004-04-14

Pixar’s OpenSubdiv

Signature 

My DAZ3D Store
My Free Stuff
My Art @ DeviantART
Ships of the Line - MEGA THREAD
How to use the Poser Format Exporter - **Updated 2013-02-09**

Posted: 12 September 2012 11:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2005-08-25
davidscameracraft - 12 September 2012 04:17 AM

Now a rather radical thought - Documentation. It would be great if I could read about the new features. What would be even better. If you hired one person to make instructional videos about Studio x.x. That is all they do. Make a video or two a day. (I would be happy to fill this position.) Not generic videos that touch upon basic features like “there is a surface tab”. But in-depth videos.

Like how to use all the new save tools. Or all of the shader mixer options. Good videos would help people troubleshoot problems on their own instead of trying to figure something out (which created the problem in the first place) and ending up frustrated and angry.

This would be so much better than reading a document that usually doesn’t do the feature justice. Reading documentation can become just as frustrating if it isn’t written well or informational enough.

You have such a diverse and intricate program here. Genesis is a fabulous creation. You will get many more adopters (more content purchases) if you showed people how to use the program.

I can only confirm this, that such videos and manual are “very very hard needed”!

Signature 

DAZSTUDIO FUTURE REQUESTS - CLICK ME TO JOIN
Feel free to join, sign and vote for dazstudio future improvements.
(620 users and still counting up to 1000) would like to see improvements, and you?

Posted: 27 September 2012 02:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2005-08-25

a few requests here too
http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/8459/

combine them all in one thread, easier for developers to search at one place.

Signature 

DAZSTUDIO FUTURE REQUESTS - CLICK ME TO JOIN
Feel free to join, sign and vote for dazstudio future improvements.
(620 users and still counting up to 1000) would like to see improvements, and you?

Posted: 27 September 2012 04:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  216
Joined  2005-10-18

Just give me a manual so can actually learn how to use the great features this software has.

The lack of manual and info on how to do things is REALLY starting to pee me off..

Shame on you DAZ3D for promising this and not delivering.. ;(

S.K.

Posted: 27 September 2012 06:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2005-11-30

I would really just like it to look and feel and actually work just like Daz Studio 3 worked.  With it being a little more forgiving with 3rd party shader plugins and opening files made by previous Daz Studios when it’s updated. No overly helpful content organisation which doesn’t actually help.

No automatic smoothing when it comes to adding clothing to Genesis. No randomly moving controls around the GUI without giving the user the ability to customise.

Basically…everything that was good about Daz Studio 3 and nothing that is plain awful from Daz Studio 4.

For me Daz Studio 4 has become so bad (I’m beginning to think it’s affecting DS3) that I’m thinking of not only uninstalling DS4, but rebooting my computer back to factory so I can use DS3 again from a clean slate.rolleyes

Si red face

Posted: 28 September 2012 06:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2003-10-09

1.  What I would like to see, not just in DS5, but as soon as possible, is a sensible colour scheme that can be used for long periods without eye strain.  DS3 had a very user friendly scheme.  I’ve tried to replicate this with Customize colours without success.  What are each of the colours in the list?

I only use Studio for animation and I have asked for the next improvements since DS2:

2.  The ability to automatically play an animation without skipping frames.  (Poser has always had this)  I used Animator for this, but it doesn’t work in DS4.

3.  The wave form to be displayed when a sound is imported.  (Poser has always had this)  Just something simple as in the Mimic Pro Session Manager window.

Posted: 28 September 2012 09:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11177
Joined  2007-11-06

...better memory management.  Scenefile bloat is still an issue.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

4 of 51