Digital Art Zone

16 of 47
What features would you like to see appear in dazstudio 5?
Posted: 14 February 2013 11:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 226 ]
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2003-10-09

Please bring back the classic UI from DAZ3xx

Posted: 14 February 2013 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 227 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2779
Joined  2004-04-14
Gerry1 - 14 February 2013 11:20 AM

Please bring back the classic UI from DAZ3xx

Yeah, I miss that.

Signature 

My DAZ3D Store
My Free Stuff
My Art @ DeviantART
Ships of the Line - MEGA THREAD
How to use the Poser Format Exporter - **Updated 2013-02-09**

Posted: 14 February 2013 10:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 228 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10698
Joined  2007-11-06

...me too.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 15 February 2013 12:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 229 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2945
Joined  2011-12-10

DAZ 3 had a UI?  who knew! raspberry

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery
OPENSUBDIV Testing and Discussion
3Delight Surface and Lighting Thread

Posted: 16 February 2013 05:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 230 ]
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2011-06-01

How about a content window that actually works!!

How about training so when there is a problem we can figure out that the hell to do!!

Posted: 16 February 2013 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 231 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2945
Joined  2011-12-10
zapboy007 - 16 February 2013 05:57 PM

How about training so when there is a problem we can figure out that the hell to do!!

That’s what the forums are for smile

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery
OPENSUBDIV Testing and Discussion
3Delight Surface and Lighting Thread

Posted: 16 February 2013 06:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 232 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2779
Joined  2004-04-14

How about a content window that actually works!!

If your are having technical issues with your content tab I highly recommend you start a thread about it in the Nuts and Bolts section.

As for training, well there is a difference between how to use the program and how to trouble shoot it.  Any time you are in need of help, again, please dont hesitate to start a thread in the Nuts and Bolts section.

Nuts N Bolts:
http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewforum/5/

Of corse if there is an answer to your issues already, you might be able to find them quickly in the Nuts and Bolts section or even the new users section or the DAZ Studio section.

New Users Help Forum
http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewforum/97/

DAZ Studio Discussion
http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewforum/16/

Signature 

My DAZ3D Store
My Free Stuff
My Art @ DeviantART
Ships of the Line - MEGA THREAD
How to use the Poser Format Exporter - **Updated 2013-02-09**

Posted: 16 February 2013 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 233 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

...yeah, but being online takes valuable processor resources away from the task of scene production, not to mention the time to hunt down threads related to the issue at hand and/or posting your own.  I’ve been involved in self directed study for some time, but it only works if you have the proper support materials (like a well written manual) at hand.  When I still wrote code back in the “good old days” , I documented everything.  Why is that such a difficult concept for developers today to wrap the heads around?

...and for my two Zloty’s worth, video tutorials are no replacement for good ol’ fashioned (and well bookmarked) PDFs.

Maybe someone needs to come out with a Daz Studio 4.5 for Dummies book.  I have the latest update of the Blender one and find it very helpful.

Signature 

Posted: 16 February 2013 09:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 234 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

...ahh, the “it’s a fair cop” response. So easily used then abused.

The “we don’t have the resources” argument is a poor excuse (guess shinies are more important than substance, just like what the aforementioned company I worked for banked on before they failed, and what our local transit system lives - and will soon die by).

Yeah, you’ll have much better fortunes with Blender as the community there is incredibly supportive of new users (plus you’ll get a totally boot to the bum render engine without needing a plugin to access it). The tutes are downloadable, not just from the Blender community but other sites as well, and there are several good third party publications available (including the one I mentioned above).

If you refuse support the needs of your customer base (which includes proper documentation for your software) they will look elsewhere. The original Daz Studio was simple enough to learn by intuition (and there actually was a useful manual).  4.5 Pro is much more complex, and has nothing for users to refer to when they run into a snag.

A major soft drink company once had the motto: “Image is nothing”.  Simple and to the point, something Daz3D (and a lot of other businesses)  needs to subscribe to. If you have substance as a foundation, the image and reputation put forth to prospective customers will be a lot more sound and solid.  That is why, for example, Steinway Pianos are the standard others are measured against.

Why does it always seem so difficult to do the simple thing?

Signature 

Posted: 16 February 2013 10:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 235 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  608
Joined  2004-12-14
Kyoto Kid - 16 February 2013 09:46 PM

...ahh, the “it’s a fair cop” response. So easily used then abused.

The “we don’t have the resources” argument is a poor excuse (guess shinies are more important than substance, just like what the aforementioned company I worked for banked on before they failed, and what our local transit system lives - and will soon die by).

Yeah, you’ll have much better fortunes with Blender as the community there is incredibly supportive of new users (plus you’ll get a totally boot to the bum render engine without needing a plugin to access it). The tutes are downloadable, not just from the Blender community but other sites as well, and there are several good third party publications available (including the one I mentioned above).

If you refuse support the needs of your customer base (which includes proper documentation for your software) they will look elsewhere. The original Daz Studio was simple enough to learn by intuition (and there actually was a useful manual).  4.5 Pro is much more complex, and has nothing for users to refer to when they run into a snag.

A major soft drink company once had the motto: “Image is nothing”.  Simple and to the point, something Daz3D (and a lot of other businesses)  needs to subscribe to. If you have substance as a foundation, the image and reputation put forth to prospective customers will be a lot more sound and solid.  That is why, for example, Steinway Pianos are the standard others are measured against.

Why does it always seem so difficult to do the simple thing?

Because it isn’t “cool”.

Back in the days when DAZ employees showed up in the DAZ forums (or others, like “rosity).  They would spend most of their time talking about what “cool” things they were working on.

Writing documentation isn’t “cool”, so they just can’t be bothered.  I don’t think DAZ understands how much the lack of documentation hurts them. 

Lots of magical thinking going on in Utah.

Signature 

“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored” - Aldous Huxley

Posted: 16 February 2013 11:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 236 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

..and that is the trouble the average businesses model today.  Simple is elegant. Complex is cumbersome.

Southwest Airlines kept it simple, one aircraft type (the Boeing 737), settling an extended multi-year fuel contract when prices were low, offering only one class of service, crosstraining ground service employees, careful and calculated route expansion, and not going head to head with another airline in that company’s home hub.  Southwest is still turning a profit. while other airlines have either gone under, or were forced to merge with another carrier. 

While their level of service is fairly basic (you get a seat on a plane to go from point A to point B), they are “up front” and honest about it and have not embraced the “nickle and dime” mentality of other domestic airlines.  The result, Southwest has built a loyal customer base which includes those who used to fly regularly on the other “full service” carriers.

Daz3d could be the “Southwest” of 3D software providers if like the airline, they focused on basics which includes attention to the quality of both product and customer support. It would go much farther to solidify their position, than continually introducing one shiny after another while the core software of their flagship app is always in a “Beta state”.

Yeah procedural documentation is boring, I know, I did (and still do) a lot of it.  But when I can take a week or two off from my job and relax, confident that I will not return to a total nightmare, the effort is well worth it.  Granted, even at my workplace this makes me somewhat an anomaly. However, because of this, things don’t come to a grinding halt in my absence, which is not only good for the company’s bottom line and client relations, but has built for me a positive rep in the eyes of the firm’s admin and owner.

Substance first makes the image that comes afterwards much more solid.

Signature 

Posted: 16 February 2013 11:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 237 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5200
Joined  2005-04-16
wancow - 16 February 2013 06:03 PM

That’s what the forums are for smile

Actually, that’s what proper documentation (  big surprise  what’s that?) is for.  With it, many issues wouldn’t even be issues I’d bet.

Dana

Signature 

Old post count: 7511

Posted: 17 February 2013 01:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 238 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

...agreed. 

When you can get the answers you need at your fingertips without having to spend a lot of time surfing forums, on line tutorials, and asking questions every time you run into a potential issue, you are ahead in the workflow game.

Signature 

Posted: 17 February 2013 01:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 239 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  286
Joined  2008-04-09

There are only two things I would want for DAZ 5:  Proper, thorough documentation, and a good long stretch of time before it gets here.  Honestly, I feel like I’m running a race to keep up with all the updates and new versions of everything that keep coming out, all while still trying to figure out the current stuff!

Posted: 04 March 2013 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 240 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2005-11-13

Batch rename where you can selectively rename portions of multiple scene items simultaneously…

i.e. I may want to rename a collection of tables for example if I’ve typoed “table” without losing running numbering or other parts of the name. I.e. I want to be able to rename tabl01, tabl02 to table01, table02 etc without having to do that individually.

Seriously I’d kill for this right now.

16 of 47