Digital Art Zone

Daz Hard Drive Setup?
Posted: 28 May 2013 03:58 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  396
Joined  2012-07-05

Is there a best practices in terms of hard drive set up?  With video editing I customarily have the program on the internal drive of my Mac, the project file on one external drive, and the source footage on a another external drive.  Is there any performance benefits in putting Daz content on an external drive?

Posted: 29 May 2013 02:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5961
Joined  2005-08-29
dkutzera - 28 May 2013 03:58 PM

Is there a best practices in terms of hard drive set up?  With video editing I customarily have the program on the internal drive of my Mac, the project file on one external drive, and the source footage on a another external drive.  Is there any performance benefits in putting Daz content on an external drive?

Not so much a performance boost (but if your external drives are much faster, then it is faster) as you are not moving huge amounts of data, but as content has a tendency to grow over time (about the same rate as your wallet gets nice and slim) I recommend to have the content on a separate drive to avoid filling the boot drive with too much stuff.

Signature 

=============================================
My DAZ Gallery  | The adventures of Lomund
Free RPG adventures for DnD, O:FR and more: http://4eyes.code66.se
Community Volunteer

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club
I always look on the bright side of life, ‘cause I never expected the Spanish inquisition!

Posted: 29 May 2013 05:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  822
Joined  2008-09-17

My experience with the one external drive I bought was that it was limited by the USB speed and designed more for occasional access & backup than as actual additional drive space.  If your computer has an external SATA connection; you shouldn’t have too much of a problem.  You might want to watch out for the “green” drives as they have built in circuitry to power down the drive after a set period of non-use (usually just before you need to access it).

Signature 

Resistance is futile.  You will be DAZzimilated

Old post count: 5719

Posted: 29 May 2013 06:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5961
Joined  2005-08-29

I agree with BWSman on the USB note, but as the OP has been working with video editing I guess the OP uses at least FireWire 800 drives or Thunderbolt drives, which are as fast as internal ones.

Signature 

=============================================
My DAZ Gallery  | The adventures of Lomund
Free RPG adventures for DnD, O:FR and more: http://4eyes.code66.se
Community Volunteer

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club
I always look on the bright side of life, ‘cause I never expected the Spanish inquisition!