Digital Art Zone

2 of 3
Creating a website
Posted: 25 May 2013 11:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1376
Joined  2010-02-14

Quick question! Which of these sites is good for something non-3D content related? But rather, a method of providing a list of live services via communication like phone or Skype.

Signature 

“I’m sorry, I can’t hear you over the sound of how awesome I am!” ~ Brextor Ultimus

FORUM MEMBER POST RANKS
New Member = 0
Member = 25
Active Member = 250
Power Member = 1000
Addict = 2500

My Art Studio

Posted: 26 May 2013 03:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1641
Joined  2008-05-31

Serif has a free version of their Web Designer, should be pretty good. If you register it (you actually have to AFAIR), they use to send some great email discount offers for the full version, sometimes 50% off or more.

http://www.serif.com/web-design-software/

Signature 
Tools for the DAZ store

Posted: 26 May 2013 06:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1538
Joined  2008-02-14
Voodoo128 - 24 May 2013 07:24 PM

As mentioned above, free is not really viable unless you are just doing this for a hobby and don’t care about uptime and content restriction.  I’ve been using GoDaddy to host my website for the last 6 months and I’ve been extremely happy, not one outage and not one slow down. .

Thanks for that,  checked out the review site btw.  Cool site. 

Anyone else have experience with godaddy?

Signature 

PUBLISHED ARTIST
First Bastion’s Environments here at Daz

Posted: 26 May 2013 08:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-31
FirstBastion - 26 May 2013 06:18 AM

As mentioned above, free is not really viable unless you are just doing this for a hobby and don’t care about uptime and content restriction.  I’ve been using GoDaddy to host my website for the last 6 months and I’ve been extremely happy, not one outage and not one slow down. .

I was thinking of registering some domains with them a few years ago but a search on the internet revealed a lot of horror stories, not least when it comes to dubious business practices. In general they have a rather bad reputation among people in the web business. A couple of recent threads on webhostingtalk.com:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1253999
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1269764

Here’s a list of good hosts from a reliable source:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/web-hosting/5089-top-hosts-2013-a.html

Signature 
Tools for the DAZ store

Posted: 26 May 2013 10:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2734
Joined  2004-10-25
Taozen - 26 May 2013 08:00 AM
FirstBastion - 26 May 2013 06:18 AM

I was thinking of registering some domains with them a few years ago but a search on the internet revealed a lot of horror stories, not least when it comes to dubious business practices. In general they have a rather bad reputation among people in the web business. A couple of recent threads on webhostingtalk.com:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1253999
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1269764

Here’s a list of good hosts from a reliable source:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/web-hosting/5089-top-hosts-2013-a.html

I have all but one of my domains registered with GoDaddy, but don’t believe in hosting sites at the same place I register the domains.  Mostly because it makes it easier to move a site to a new host without having to incur trouble (or annoying questions) as to why I’m moving the hosting but not the domain registration.

Aside from the bad hosting reviews I’ve also seen with respect to GoDaddy, I think domain registrars and web hosts should each stick to their main functions, as that’s what they do best, so I wouldn’t register a domain with a hosting company.  I’ve heard horror stories of web hosts that say you own the domain name, but when it comes to moving your site or taking your domain name to another registrar (or in my case where I wanted to buy a friend’s domain because she was retiring from the web), they don’t allow it, or make it such a horrific experience, you just give up in frustration.

Signature 

OK . . . Where’s my chocolate?     Post Count —> 3,263 and growing!     Visit my Renderosity Gallery

It’s what you learn after you know it all that counts ~ John Wooden

Posted: 27 May 2013 01:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-31
Miss B - 26 May 2013 10:08 AM

I have all but one of my domains registered with GoDaddy, but don’t believe in hosting sites at the same place I register the domains.  Mostly because it makes it easier to move a site to a new host without having to incur trouble (or annoying questions) as to why I’m moving the hosting but not the domain registration.

Aside from the bad hosting reviews I’ve also seen with respect to GoDaddy, I think domain registrars and web hosts should each stick to their main functions, as that’s what they do best, so I wouldn’t register a domain with a hosting company.  I’ve heard horror stories of web hosts that say you own the domain name, but when it comes to moving your site or taking your domain name to another registrar (or in my case where I wanted to buy a friend’s domain because she was retiring from the web), they don’t allow it, or make it such a horrific experience, you just give up in frustration.

Yea, I know some people have had poblems with these things, but I’ve never experienced it myself. I’ve been transfering domains between registrars several times, in most cases everything was done via the control panels, and no questions asked in any case.

I have most of my domains with webmasters.com, they also sell hosting plans but both things work very well, together or separately. I had a hosting plan with them for a couple of years but I canceled it because for some unknown reason my ISP would drop mail sent from some of their servers so that didn’t work. Otherwise they were very good with an excellent support. Don’t know how they are today though when it comes to web hosting, but as registrars they’re fine, and with low prices. 

Signature 
Tools for the DAZ store

Posted: 27 May 2013 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2734
Joined  2004-10-25
Taozen - 27 May 2013 01:21 AM
Miss B - 26 May 2013 10:08 AM

Yea, I know some people have had poblems with these things, but I’ve never experienced it myself. I’ve been transfering domains between registrars several times, in most cases everything was done via the control panels, and no questions asked in any case.

I have most of my domains with webmasters.com, they also sell hosting plans but both things work very well, together or separately. I had a hosting plan with them for a couple of years but I canceled it because for some unknown reason my ISP would drop mail sent from some of their servers so that didn’t work. Otherwise they were very good with an excellent support. Don’t know how they are today though when it comes to web hosting, but as registrars they’re fine, and with low prices.

I’m not familiar with them, though their hosting price seems reasonable, and they have their own custom control panel.  I know so many people who hate DreamHost because it doesn’t use cPanel.  Me, I hate cPanel, but then my first web host didn’t use it either, so I guess it’s what you get used to.

Signature 

OK . . . Where’s my chocolate?     Post Count —> 3,263 and growing!     Visit my Renderosity Gallery

It’s what you learn after you know it all that counts ~ John Wooden

Posted: 28 May 2013 01:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  571
Joined  2006-10-01

Just in case you wonder, I went with biz.nf and so far so good.
Too early to say for sure of course, but being new and not even a vendor yet, I didn’t wanted to spend a lot and $9.99 for a year of hosting and the domain seemed fine. rolleyes
Support is very helpful and answer within minutes. No complaints so far. Lets see how it goes with time.
They have WordPress and Joomla site builders, but I’m having a hard time with that :/, so I used the domain with a Weebly site. Not what I expected but idiot proof.

Signature 

Simplified guide to Genesis content creation.

My gallery.

Posted: 28 May 2013 06:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2322
Joined  2011-11-16

Wordpress and Joomla have somewhat of a learning curve. It can be worth it in the long run if this will be a business, but it depends on how much you want to invest in the page design and maintanence yourself vs hiring it done and how sophisticated your needs become. All of the tools become easier over time so it is something you can approach in a relaxed manner if what you have is working for you. My advice is to do more basic research on what the tools can do, and what the differences are between them, as once you’ve invested heavily in one you will be loath to switch even if it isn’t what you might want in the end. People often find themselves defending a bad decision because the idea of changing is too costly. Not referring to what you are doing, btw… you are doing it exactly correctly from what I can see. It is more a heads up for the future. Also, something to keep in mind when getting advice, this previous point and the point that we tend to idealize what we’ve found works for us even if we aren’t fully aware of what is available in the alternatives.

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 15 August 2013 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-10-01

So, what are the usual MySQL database sizes for things like a very small store and an almost desert forum?
I’ve seen hosts usually offer 50mb databases. That doesn’t sound like much. Is that correct? gulp

Signature 

My gallery.

Posted: 15 August 2013 01:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  511
Joined  2003-10-09

In addition to the reliability problem of free sites, many free sites have terms of use that give them the right to use your stuff as they wish.

Nothing against Drupal of Joomla!, but be careful of the tendency of CMS based sites to look the same.

Posted: 15 August 2013 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-10-01

Just in case, I’m not using free sites. smile

Signature 

My gallery.

Posted: 15 August 2013 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-31
Hellboy - 15 August 2013 12:53 PM

So, what are the usual MySQL database sizes for things like a very small store and an almost desert forum?
I’ve seen hosts usually offer 50mb databases. That doesn’t sound like much. Is that correct? gulp

50 MB would probably go a long way in the above case, unless you store attachments (pictures etc.) directly in the SQL database, but I doubt any stores or forums do that as it is strongly advised not to.

But a site with unlimited SQL databases don’t cost much - MidPhase for example (which I use myself for some of my sites) charge $9.95/m for a commercial site:

http://www.midphase.com/website-hosting/business.php

Signature 
Tools for the DAZ store

Posted: 15 August 2013 08:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-10-01

Thanks. That sounds good! I’ll consider it when porting everything to a place with bigger databases. :D

Signature 

My gallery.

Posted: 16 August 2013 05:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1376
Joined  2010-02-14

Actually, I recently found an awesome site that allowed me to create my service website just nicely. I found VistaPrint to be a popular option. They gave me great deals on Business Cards and E-Mail Marketing, too. smile

Signature 

“I’m sorry, I can’t hear you over the sound of how awesome I am!” ~ Brextor Ultimus

FORUM MEMBER POST RANKS
New Member = 0
Member = 25
Active Member = 250
Power Member = 1000
Addict = 2500

My Art Studio

2 of 3