New Comic-Book Shaders for DAZ|Studio 3 and 4! Be a part of the best new noir since Bogart and Bacal!
I am pleased to announce today's release of the Mephistopolis Comic shader pack, for DAZ|Studio and above. Render your femmes fatales with deadly allure, your greasy gunsels with flaming gusto, and your heroes like comics' Golden Age.
Combining the gritty vintage look of traditional pulp comic pages and the modern versatility of 3Delight, the Mephistopolis shader renders smoother than bootleg hooch and faster than a lounge singer with a Saturday Night Special*. All standard color channels are included, with mappable textures, opacity and displacement— even texture tiling and rotation. True reflection and refraction— what other comic shader does that?
Newsprint comics are exactly what they're supposed to emulate. And yes, dot density can be adjusted. Most of my renders are done at Density 100, which I've found most generally pleasing at viewport-scale, but the normal range runs 25 -200: smaller images do best with lower numbers, and all else being equal, a lower value takes longer to render because each dot calculates from a broader area.
If you want to hurry it into the store, enter the contest! Tell your friends to enter! Even if your pictures don't win, you'll still get the shader to use when you enter. All I ask is for an entry or two.
* Art is to be submitted by posting in this thread (links to off-site galleries accepted) or by email reply to the email delivering your shader. NAEs are also accepted in the thread, but need to be clearly described as such.
* Not every surface in the scene (see image: first post) need be rendered in Mephistopolis, but the focus of the scene MUST exhibit the shader and its features.
* While the first post does say "one to five entries," you may submit (or redact) as many as you'd like. I'm only going to use the best five, my own included (if I receive too few store-quality pictures). So if your images comprise an eleven-page comic, post by all means. But don't be upset if I only use two nonsequential pages for the final selection.
* The shader was developed in DS 4.5 and tested in 3.1 for backwards compatibility. The file you receive will be a DS3-compatible DSA script file that will work in any version of DAZ|Studio from 3 onwards. Please note with each entry which version of the program it was rendered in.
* Deadline for entries is 2359, Eastern Daylight Time (GMT-4 hrs), 30 June7 July 2013. I have extended it a week for y'all!. If you're skating close on the deadline, try to get it in before I get up Monday morning (1 July). At that time the contest will be closed as I prepare the package for submission.
After 17:28 or so (minus about 9 hrs laptop hibernation), I got the following in DS3.1 -- it's the Jack and Thompson above, from a different angle. I set passes on all materials for 1 Reflection and 4 Refraction. So maybe it's not always as fast as a girl's Saturday Night Special, but the end result's a keeper for certain. The material settings for whiskey, glass and ice will be included if we can get this package to the store.
Well, ain't I eating crow! It's actually working, without making any node changes. I just had to track down the last working surface settings for a mirror preset and will post the surface values shortly.