Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
Wish I could do what I envision
Posted: 23 May 2013 07:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  173
Joined  2003-10-09

whispers65, I don’t own the Cryo set (yet), so I can’t give direct advice on lighting that prop.  But going with your stated aims, I’d first like to know what lights you DO have in the posted render.

Then I am going to suggest a book: Jeremy Birn’s Digital Lighting and Rendering.  Between Mr Birn and the Dreamlight Club, my lighting skills have improved dramatically. The Club isn’t as active as it once was, but there is still a wealth of information there and helpful people.  Get some of Dreamlight’s free lessons from DAZ and see if you think you could learn from the format and style, then maybe take the plunge and get one of the heftier courses (wait for a sale…).

You can get there.  Its going to take time and some effort, but you can learn the tools and tricks of the trade.

Posted: 23 May 2013 09:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  726
Joined  2009-06-14
evilded777 - 23 May 2013 07:12 PM

whispers65, I don’t own the Cryo set (yet), so I can’t give direct advice on lighting that prop.  But going with your stated aims, I’d first like to know what lights you DO have in the posted render.

Then I am going to suggest a book: Jeremy Birn’s Digital Lighting and Rendering.  Between Mr Birn and the Dreamlight Club, my lighting skills have improved dramatically. The Club isn’t as active as it once was, but there is still a wealth of information there and helpful people.  Get some of Dreamlight’s free lessons from DAZ and see if you think you could learn from the format and style, then maybe take the plunge and get one of the heftier courses (wait for a sale…).

You can get there.  Its going to take time and some effort, but you can learn the tools and tricks of the trade.

Actually they are the default lights that came with the set.  I did add point lights see at the bottom of the Cryo Chambers.  Other than that I was going to “Lighten” it up as it comes out pretty dark and add some other features.  I think on the default lights there is an Uber light as well as a number of spot lights.

Posted: 23 May 2013 09:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16403
Joined  2009-01-22

Just asking, because it’s a peeve of mine. You folks do know if you Quote you can EDIT all the stuff not needed. Quoting a HUGE thing to just add one line bugs me to no end. I’ve read it before if I’m reading the thread.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 23 May 2013 11:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  447
Joined  0
Jaderail - 23 May 2013 09:45 PM

Just asking, because it’s a peeve of mine. You folks do know if you Quote you can EDIT all the stuff not needed. Quoting a HUGE thing to just add one line bugs me to no end. I’ve read it before if I’m reading the thread.

Oops, sorry -half the times I mess with quotes within quotes I get a bizarre mess. I’ll be more careful in future.

Posted: 24 May 2013 06:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09
whispers65 - 23 May 2013 09:12 PM

Actually they are the default lights that came with the set.  I did add point lights see at the bottom of the Cryo Chambers.  Other than that I was going to “Lighten” it up as it comes out pretty dark and add some other features.  I think on the default lights there is an Uber light as well as a number of spot lights.

OK, not going to be much help with the default lights as I don’t have the set.  Wondering, though… do you have Poser lights and Studio lights available with that product?  Stonemason’s lights can be pretty specific and very often they light the prop, and to get figures in there as well, you are going to need more lights or some other solution altogether.

Posted: 24 May 2013 07:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  994
Joined  2012-01-29
sgreco1970 - 23 May 2013 11:25 PM

Oops, sorry -half the times I mess with quotes within quotes I get a bizarre mess. I’ll be more careful in future.

It is actually quite easy. The very first “quote author” and the very last “/quote” belong together, then the second “quote” (counted from the start ) pairs with the second “/quote” (counted from the end) etc.

Posted: 24 May 2013 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-06-14

evilded777 - I do start out with the default light set included with the scene and go from there.  I tried a few things last night with different lights but when I went to render the program bombed out, threw an error message and exited the program.  I then tried another way, same results.  So I then stripped out all lights and put in one Uber and it bombed.  So by the point I was like ok, it’s not going to happen tonight.

I then loaded a default scene and default light set from scratch and rendered.  And I think it looks great.  I like it darker for mood, although when I upload or let someone else see it then it’s too dark but looks fine on my screen.  I normally don’t show anyone much of anything anyway.  I don’t have a gallery anywhere or anything like that.  I like the idea of renderings to help visual my novels better and give me inspiration for others.

Looks like I’m actually going to be off this weekend for a change so I’ll have time to work on it and see how far I can get.

So for the CryoChambers I’ve been making any lighting changes, adding figures, etc outside in their own scene.  Once I think I have what I want (at least the character set up) I add it to the Cyro Environment.

So basically at this point, I’m going to work on one part of the scene at a time and then composite together and see how that goes.  It’s all a learning process anyway.

Posted: 24 May 2013 09:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-06-14

ok I took a break.  LOL.  This is not exactly the Sci-Fi pic I was working on and definitely not perfect but it was fun.  I played around with the lighting and I think it came out decent.

Image Attachments
Bigfoot_-_002.jpg

Posted: 25 May 2013 09:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3034
Joined  2004-04-14

This is an older tutorial on lighting and cameras in DS but its still relevant.

http://digilander.libero.it/maclean/DStutorial.htm

Signature 

My DAZ3D Store
My Free Stuff
My Art @ DeviantART
Ships of the Line - MEGA THREAD
How to use the Poser Format Exporter - **Updated 2013-02-09**

Posted: 25 May 2013 12:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  447
Joined  0
whispers65 - 24 May 2013 09:13 PM

ok I took a break.  LOL.  This is not exactly the Sci-Fi pic I was working on and definitely not perfect but it was fun.  I played around with the lighting and I think it came out decent.

I love it!

Posted: 30 May 2013 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09

Very Harry and the Henderson’s, nicely done.  While the lighting in this could use some work, its a far cry from awful.

How did you light this?

2 of 2