Posted: 18 June 2012 07:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1824
Joined  2006-02-17
Cliff Bowman - 18 June 2012 07:12 AM
Kendall Sears - 18 June 2012 06:37 AM
Richard Haseltine - 18 June 2012 05:36 AM

The problem is that there are surfaces on Genesis that are split between two surfaces, on different maps, in the Gen 3 mapping. Alternative UVs are a surface proeprty, I don’t think they can split a UV region in two as would be needed to apply the Gen 3 maps directly.

Not to mention that that would be ANOTHER step away from Poser compatibility for Genesis.  Hitting a moving target is extremely hard.  Changing the Genesis base for something like that could hurt any fledgling efforts by “others” to get Genesis into less capable software.

Kendall

I suspect you’ll find that’s already been done - existing UV maps aren’t all consistent like you’d find on the Gen4 or the Gen3 figures - they are cut up differently. Even have different UV vertex counts IIRC.

I’m aware of your efforts as well as a few others.  Adding “yet another”  UV set would exacerbate the problem.

As it stands it is enough of a problem to work around the limitations inherent to Poser without adding additional hurdles.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 19 June 2012 10:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  511
Joined  2003-10-09

For the Melody conversion:

Well, this is not the best solution, maybe not even a good one:

Convert the body texture using texture converter as if you were going to use it on V4/A4.

Strip the head off of melody, rig it and transfer the morphs

Strip the Digitigrade legs and rig them as separate boots, transfer the morphs
(BTW: As far as I know melody doesn’t HAVE digitigrade legs. Are you sure those didn’t come from Kasa (Rendo) or conversion from V4? If that’s the case this will all still work.)

Find some 3rd party tail and do the textures by hand.

Load your Frankenstein. Parent the head and legs rather than conforming. Hide Genesis legs below the point where you parented the new legs. They’ll follow whatever joint you parented them to, but below that they must be posed independently.

Pose everything to hide the ugly seams.

Posted: 20 June 2012 02:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3081
Joined  2007-06-22
Kendall Sears - 18 June 2012 07:37 AM

The problem is that there are surfaces on Genesis that are split between two surfaces, on different maps, in the Gen 3 mapping. Alternative UVs are a surface proeprty, I don’t think they can split a UV region in two as would be needed to apply the Gen 3 maps directly.

Not to mention that that would be ANOTHER step away from Poser compatibility for Genesis.  Hitting a moving target is extremely hard.  Changing the Genesis base for something like that could hurt any fledgling efforts by “others” to get Genesis into less capable software.

Kendall

I suspect you’ll find that’s already been done - existing UV maps aren’t all consistent like you’d find on the Gen4 or the Gen3 figures - they are cut up differently. Even have different UV vertex counts IIRC.

I’m aware of your efforts as well as a few others.  Adding “yet another”  UV set would exacerbate the problem.

As it stands it is enough of a problem to work around the limitations inherent to Poser without adding additional hurdles.

Kendall

So improvements and advances to Genesis are going to be held back because of Poser’s limitations?

Posted: 20 June 2012 02:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  511
Joined  2003-10-09
scorpio64dragon - 20 June 2012 02:05 AM
Kendall Sears - 18 June 2012 07:37 AM

Kendall

Kendall

So improvements and advances to Genesis are going to be held back because of Poser’s limitations?

Read the thread, that’s not what they’re saying at all.

Posted: 20 June 2012 03:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3081
Joined  2007-06-22

Actually I have read the thread and what I’m getting is that adding the Gen 3 UV swap abitity is difficult but can be done, but to add another set of UV’s to Genesis will make using Genesis in Poser even harder.

Posted: 20 June 2012 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2003-12-06
pwiecek - 19 June 2012 10:10 PM

(BTW: As far as I know melody doesn’t HAVE digitigrade legs. Are you sure those didn’t come from Kasa (Rendo) or conversion from V4? If that’s the case this will all still work.)

Whups, yes, I meant the digitigrade legs from the Kasa set. It’s been so long since I originally set up the base characters, I sometimes forget that bit. From the ankles down they’re kind of skinny out of the box, but I also have the CDI morphs which give some more options for body shaping.

Signature 

Gone to Vegas to play poker. Back when I run out of clothes.—Your Muse.

Posted: 21 June 2012 01:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2010-12-07

Nice to see this discussion is still going.  I am bummed to hear it is difficult to add GEN 3 maps to Genesis, so maybe I will have to invest in some aiko 3 morphs and such.  Or maybe some of the people that made the wonderful Aiko 3 things will rerelease them for Genesis? Now that’d be awesome smile

Posted: 21 June 2012 03:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13422
Joined  2003-10-09

Texture Converter 2 with the right plugins (at least V4 and V3 for Aiko 3)will let you convert Gen 3 maps to Gen 4, which will work on Genesis. They work best on natural textures - things with stripes and regular patterns get distorted as they need to be pushed around to fit the new template.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 21 June 2012 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1376
Joined  2010-02-14
Richard Haseltine - 21 June 2012 03:13 PM

Texture Converter 2 with the right plugins (at least V4 and V3 for Aiko 3)will let you convert Gen 3 maps to Gen 4, which will work on Genesis. They work best on natural textures - things with stripes and regular patterns get distorted as they need to be pushed around to fit the new template.

Well, doesn’t V3 technically cover the entire Gen 3 line where all Gen 3 figures share the same UV set?

If that’s the case, it makes me wonder why TC2 has specific plug-ins for M3/D3, SP3, A3, etc.

Signature 

“I’m sorry, I can’t hear you over the sound of how awesome I am!” ~ Brextor Ultimus

FORUM MEMBER POST RANKS
New Member = 0
Member = 25
Active Member = 250
Power Member = 1000
Addict = 2500

My Art Studio

Posted: 21 June 2012 06:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7443
Joined  2004-07-21

A3 and H3 have different material zones in the legs than the rest.

Signature 

Hello, Sweetie!
click me to save my dragon eggs

Who is cuter Loki or Thor?

Posted: 21 June 2012 06:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8381
Joined  2007-11-06
RCDeschene - 21 June 2012 06:25 PM

Well, doesn’t V3 technically cover the entire Gen 3 line where all Gen 3 figures share the same UV set?

If that’s the case, it makes me wonder why TC2 has specific plug-ins for M3/D3, SP3, A3, etc.

There are some differences, although in general I’ve found V3 textures work pretty well on any of them.  The nipples may be a bit off, and A3/H3 have an extra mat zone on the legs.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 22 June 2012 05:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
fixmypcmike - 21 June 2012 06:36 PM
RCDeschene - 21 June 2012 06:25 PM

There are some differences, although in general I’ve found V3 textures work pretty well on any of them.  The nipples may be a bit off, and A3/H3 have an extra mat zone on the legs.

That’s why I listed just the V3 and V4 plugins - though as Mike says there are minor differences (one noticeable difference is the mapping around the brow on SP, though that doesn’t affect Aiko 3 of course).

Signature 

Posted: 22 June 2012 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1142
Joined  2009-01-09

Slightly off topic, but has anyone very recently tried to purchase Texture Converter 2 and install it on Windows 7? I tried that earlier this week, and Windows 7 reported that the program was corrupted. I tried redownloading and got the same respnse. I tried the FixDaz64.exe program for older installers, and that produced cascading memory errors until I terminated the process. I put in a ticket, of course.

Slightly closer to topic, one thing to note that a few people reported using GenX to transfer Aiko3 morphs to Genesis,making sure that the Gen3 Aiko iconic shape is installed first, is that you get some weirdness around the eyes. Some of it is simple positioning issues that were present in the original morph (if the morph has an Eye Fix file, you’ll still need that, and they seem to convert reasonably well), and some was just oddness. For some characters, the eyelashes detach at the outside corners; I’m not sure D3D was ever able to quite figure out why. The figure still mostly look OK, and the issue can be mostly handled in post, but it’s something to be aware of going in.

Signature 

VWrangler at deviantArt (NSFW for some images; login required to view those)

Posted: 22 June 2012 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

I wasn’t using a download from the new store, but I did manage to install TC2 under Windows 7 - as I recall it gave the “May not have installed correctly” error, but I don’t recall its being a great battle to get it there.

Signature 

Posted: 22 June 2012 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1142
Joined  2009-01-09
Richard Haseltine - 22 June 2012 12:55 PM

I wasn’t using a download from the new store, but I did manage to install TC2 under Windows 7 - as I recall it gave the “May not have installed correctly” error, but I don’t recall its being a great battle to get it there.

Must be something about the new store then. I’ve tried to install it three times on two different computers running Windows 7 64-bit, and all three times, Win7 reported that the installer was corrupt. (If you have easy access to it, can you tell me what the installer file size is supposed to be? I’m getting a 2.2MB file that Win7 is actually seeing as a complete file; it’s just screwed up. If you don’t have easy access, don’t worry about it.)

Signature 

VWrangler at deviantArt (NSFW for some images; login required to view those)

2 of 4